Speaker Placement (7.1?)

fierythrasher

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
I am ordering the Creative Gigaworks 7.1 speaker system. In my computer room I have a fairly large "corner" desk (the monitor sits in the corner of the room and goes along both walls) and for my 5.1 system I've had the center speaker on top of the monitor, the front satellites by the monitor, and the rear satellties on the corners of the desk, which are behind me when I face the monitor.

Going up to 7.1 I can only wonder where I will really put these speakers. I have tried bad voodoo such as the "Creative SurroundStation" in the past with horrible results. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or, better, pictures to show of their speaker setup to give me ideas.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
You may not notice alot of difference between 5.1 and 7.1.
For the surrounds they really need to behind you, on stands or from a wall(dipole helps). They arent really behind you on a corner desk.

BTW, 7.1 adds side speakers and a rear center speaker. You cant put those on a desk. Plus, most movies and almost all computer games dont use 7.1 surround sound.

Also, the problem with a large room is the output of computer speakers arent great.

I would suggest to keep the 5.1 system and make some stands for your rear surround speakers to put BEHIND you.

The set up of your front mains and center is perfect.

you may want to angle in towards the monitor on the rear speakers. Since your room is big, stands are best.

If you had a smaller room, and I mean small for computer speakers, you could attached them to the walls.

Check the website on how to configure. I suggest stay with the 5.1s.

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Also, the problem with a large room is the output of computer speakers arent great.
The speakers this bloke is getting will DEFINATLY be enough to fill a room, they are like 500Watts RMS!

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>