viewing files and folders

asdf

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002

Anyone know how to set a default for viewing files and folders . . . , i.e.,
I'd like to set as a default, the only useful file/folder view XP offers,
which is "details", such that everytime I open any file/folder from any
storage, I see the file/folder details without having to take the extra 10
minutes to adjust it by hand.
I would not be surprised if this is not possible with XP or any other of the
brilliant OS's MS spits/pukes out, as they all probably use some other OS and
so are not really aware that this sure would be a useful and simple feature
for us morons to be able to use. I would also not be surprised if this is
actually possible with XP or any other of the brilliant OS's MS spits out,
but again, as they all probably use some other OS, they're probably not aware
of how user-unfriendly their own OS's are.
--
asdf

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

asdf wrote:

<snip>

" ....so are not really aware that this sure would be a useful and
simple feature
for us morons to be able to use...."

Yep, moron for sure.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Control panel, folder options, view.

Are you surprised?

"asdf" <asdf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to set a default for viewing files and folders . . . ,
> i.e.,
> I'd like to set as a default, the only useful file/folder view XP offers,
> which is "details", such that everytime I open any file/folder from any
> storage, I see the file/folder details without having to take the extra 10
> minutes to adjust it by hand.
> I would not be surprised if this is not possible with XP or any other of
> the
> brilliant OS's MS spits/pukes out, as they all probably use some other OS
> and
> so are not really aware that this sure would be a useful and simple
> feature
> for us morons to be able to use. I would also not be surprised if this
> is
> actually possible with XP or any other of the brilliant OS's MS spits out,
> but again, as they all probably use some other OS, they're probably not
> aware
> of how user-unfriendly their own OS's are.
> --
> asdf

asdf

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002

Not surprised at all, as this does not work for me. While in control panel,
the instructions state, "You can apply the view (such as Details or Tiles)
that you are using for this folder to all folders". Note that it says "this
folder". The "Apply to all Folders" option is grey (not selectable,
presumably because I have not told it what "this folder" is yet), and the
"Reset All Folders" resets all folders to original default settings which is
not desired.

So, how to identify "this folder"? Remember, I'm IN Control Panel. I'm not
in "this folder". I'm unable to locate, select, etc., "this folder" while
I'm in Control Panel. Presumably, the "Apply to all Folders" option would
become selectable, permitting me to "Apply to all Folders", the view that I
have set in "this folder". However, the Control Panel folder itself does
not have a selectable View that I can "Apply to all Folders".

No offense, but again, the time wasted on tedious MS OS stuff like this
could make us all as rich as Bill G.

In any event, I appreciate your time.
--
asdf

"Jone Doe" wrote:

> Control panel, folder options, view.
>
> Are you surprised?
>
> "asdf" <asdf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how to set a default for viewing files and folders . . . ,
> > i.e.,
> > I'd like to set as a default, the only useful file/folder view XP offers,
> > which is "details", such that everytime I open any file/folder from any
> > storage, I see the file/folder details without having to take the extra 10
> > minutes to adjust it by hand.
> > I would not be surprised if this is not possible with XP or any other of
> > the
> > brilliant OS's MS spits/pukes out, as they all probably use some other OS
> > and
> > so are not really aware that this sure would be a useful and simple
> > feature
> > for us morons to be able to use. I would also not be surprised if this
> > is
> > actually possible with XP or any other of the brilliant OS's MS spits out,
> > but again, as they all probably use some other OS, they're probably not
> > aware
> > of how user-unfriendly their own OS's are.
> > --
> > asdf

Open a folder in My Computer or Windows Explorer.
View, Details.
View, Choose Details.
Tools, Folder Options, .........
--
Ron Sommer

"asdf" <asdf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to set a default for viewing files and folders . . . ,
> i.e.,
> I'd like to set as a default, the only useful file/folder view XP offers,
> which is "details", such that everytime I open any file/folder from any
> storage, I see the file/folder details without having to take the extra 10
> minutes to adjust it by hand.
> I would not be surprised if this is not possible with XP or any other of
> the
> brilliant OS's MS spits/pukes out, as they all probably use some other OS
> and
> so are not really aware that this sure would be a useful and simple
> feature
> for us morons to be able to use. I would also not be surprised if this
> is
> actually possible with XP or any other of the brilliant OS's MS spits out,
> but again, as they all probably use some other OS, they're probably not
> aware
> of how user-unfriendly their own OS's are.
> --
> asdf

I suggest, "Start", "Help and Support", "Folder View". Pick the obvious.