Hauppage WinTV PVR-350

fierythrasher

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
I have read good reviews of Hauppage stuff in the past. I'm upgrading my system (currently have Raedon 8500 DV). I need an input card primarily to encode video from VHS (composite video) and Laserdisc (S-Video) to edit then burn to DVD. I'd also like to be able to record shows from a coax cable.

I want to keep the TV function off my main video card because they have to clock down the GPU to handle all that, and I want screaming graphics in my games.

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the Hauppage WinTV PVR-350? Any other standalone card recommendations?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually your current card was the only version I know of where they downclocked the card when making the AIW version, and they didn't have to, they did it to make it less competitave to the AIW 8500 128MB, which had a higher clock. The AIW 9600 Pro was actually clocked higher than the Radeon 9600 Pro. But anyway, you get a few large benefits by going with the Hauppauge card, including lower CPU overhead with the fully hardware based video encoding.

I haven't heard anything recently in the form of reviews, but nobody is reporting anything bad about the newer cards either.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>