Internet Explorer 6 is Required to install this Required u..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871260/

So isn't that just dandy. What makes matters worse is this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883791

--
George Hester
_______________________________

    George Hester wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871260/
    >
    > So isn't that just dandy. What makes matters worse is this:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883791

    I'm sorry, but what is the question? The second url refers to SP2 RC1
    (Release Candidate 1) and not the final SP2. SP2 includes prior
    security rollups, so you don't need to apply any older rollups before
    installing SP2. Since SP2 only is applicable to the Windows XP os and
    none of the XP versions came with IE 5.x, security rollups for those
    versions don't have anything to do with XP.

    What problems are you having and with what would you like help? Please
    give a full description. If you are unsure of what information is
    needed in order to get answers in newsgroups, go here first:

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    SP2 release or not I was hoping to avoid an issue when trying to install
    SP2. Just because there was an issue with SP2 Release Candidate in no way
    says anything about the final version. Microsoft never said the issue was
    fixed. The second link says the first link is required to fix the issue.
    The first link applies to IE 6. IE 6 comes with Windows XP. So is it so
    unusual to believe the first link (the appropropiate one) applies to an SP2
    installation?

    Let me clear about something. These particular links are the root of the
    Help system issues that arise in Windows because of installing various IE
    security updates. That is not important to get into right now take too much
    time but when you run across Windows products that have lost their Help
    system what I have pointed out here is the issue and solution. Trouble is
    you can update so much that nothing will fix it. The first link throws an
    error as has been shown in the subject of this post.

    Moving on with fingers crossed my help system is going to survive the update
    process. Didn't in my last foray into the muddy waters of Windows XP and IE
    updates.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    George Hester wrote:

    > SP2 release or not I was hoping to avoid an issue when trying to
    > install
    > SP2. Just because there was an issue with SP2 Release Candidate in no
    (snippage)

    Here are links to help you prepare for SP2:

    Are You Ready for WinXP SP2? -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

    Visiting a Service Center to Get SP2 - http://tinyurl.com/53xz4

    Follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist -

    SP2 links to OEMs - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

    http://aumha.net - See SP2 forums

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#sp2 - Windows SP2 Information,
    Guidelines and Troubleshooting

    Very briefly, you want to:

    1. Make sure the computer is running well and is 100% virus and
    malware-free.

    2. Make sure you have a legal copy of XP. I'm not saying you do - I'm
    just telling you it will cause problems if you don't. If you have a
    version where the activation was hacked, you will be forced into a
    clean install.

    3. Back up all your important data in case of something going wrong.

    4. If you have an OEM machine, visit the OEM's website for your specific
    model machine to see if there are patches, upgrades to software that
    need to be installed *before* SP2 (HP is a good example; there are
    about 6 items that need to be installed first).

    5. It's better to order SP2 on cd or download the full version rather
    than trying to upgrade online.

    6. If you are at all unsure of your ability to do this, there is no
    shame in taking the machine to a computer professional and having them
    do it for you. It is not an expensive process and you can do something
    more amusing while the tech does the work.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    All those suggestions are well taken into consideration and none apply here.
    I can tell you there are very few of us that know this help issue.
    Microsoft has vague references to it and I showed you some. I have posted
    about it here and in Windows 2000 as well as ways to fix it. But this is
    the second time I'll be doing this SP2. Last time Windows XP SP1; broken
    Help System; fixed it with the updates I showed you; installed Windows XP
    Power Tools from Microsoft; applied SP2; broke Windows XP Help System again;
    couldn't fix it. This error shows you attacking a Pre SP2 installation like
    these articles describe fails. Doesn't surprise me. It is exactly what
    happens if you install SP4 in Windows 2000 then a certain IE cummulative
    fix. You'll have a broken Help System (ShowHelp). Then if you try to
    install the fix 871260- it fails. This is documentated. Trouble is there
    is no fix.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    George Hester wrote:

    > All those suggestions are well taken into consideration and none apply
    > here. I can tell you there are very few of us that know this help
    > issue.
    > Microsoft has vague references to it and I showed you some. I have
    > posted
    > about it here and in Windows 2000 as well as ways to fix it. But this
    > is
    > the second time I'll be doing this SP2. Last time Windows XP SP1;
    > broken Help System; fixed it with the updates I showed you; installed
    > Windows XP Power Tools from Microsoft; applied SP2; broke Windows XP
    > Help System again;
    > couldn't fix it. This error shows you attacking a Pre SP2
    > installation like
    > these articles describe fails. Doesn't surprise me. It is exactly
    > what happens if you install SP4 in Windows 2000 then a certain IE
    > cummulative
    > fix. You'll have a broken Help System (ShowHelp). Then if you try to
    > install the fix 871260- it fails. This is documentated. Trouble is
    > there is no fix.

    I see. I misunderstood your posting to be a question about how to
    successfully install SP2. I'm sorry that I misunderstood you. Since you
    apparently aren't asking a question and are documenting a bug you
    found, you'd be better off contacting Microsoft directly.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    They know about it and have tried to fix it. Trouble is the info is
    widespread and really in no central location. They know about it. Just
    look up ShowHelp in the Knowledge Base and scan around in the results.
    You'll see it. And yes this is a SP2 issue as the articles I incuded in my
    original post attest to. It really has nothing to do with them being about
    the SP2 Candidate Release. The same issue applies.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > George Hester wrote:
    >
    > > All those suggestions are well taken into consideration and none apply
    > > here. I can tell you there are very few of us that know this help
    > > issue.
    > > Microsoft has vague references to it and I showed you some. I have
    > > posted
    > > about it here and in Windows 2000 as well as ways to fix it. But this
    > > is
    > > the second time I'll be doing this SP2. Last time Windows XP SP1;
    > > broken Help System; fixed it with the updates I showed you; installed
    > > Windows XP Power Tools from Microsoft; applied SP2; broke Windows XP
    > > Help System again;
    > > couldn't fix it. This error shows you attacking a Pre SP2
    > > installation like
    > > these articles describe fails. Doesn't surprise me. It is exactly
    > > what happens if you install SP4 in Windows 2000 then a certain IE
    > > cummulative
    > > fix. You'll have a broken Help System (ShowHelp). Then if you try to
    > > install the fix 871260- it fails. This is documentated. Trouble is
    > > there is no fix.
    > >

    > I see. I misunderstood your posting to be a question about how to
    > successfully install SP2. I'm sorry that I misunderstood you. Since you
    > apparently aren't asking a question and are documenting a bug you
    > found, you'd be better off contacting Microsoft directly.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com