Gaming Laptop Recommendation (Under $1600 C$)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wexer9

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
I am looking to buy a good gaming laptop for under $1600 Canadian. I am looking for a fast processor, high-end graphics card, large hard drive (at least 320 GB, I think), the works.

Any recommendations?

Please note I will probably not be able to purchase the laptop for at least 3-4 months.

1_What is your budget?
$0-$1600 Canadian

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Hopefully fit in a schoolbag.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Fairly high.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
It will probably end up mostly replacing my desktop.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Decent, a few hours I hope.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Highest possible.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
The works. Photo editing at least, if not some video editing.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Preferably at least 320 GB.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
First time buy, so I don't really care.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
A few years at least.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
At least 2 USB ports, 3+ would be better.
I'm a high school student.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm new to the gaming laptop market, so I don't know.

13_What country do you live in?
Canada.

randi

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
hey frnd,
ram - 6GB above
vga - this is the key, get a very very good one NVIDIA, GEFORCE
hard- 32GB ok
processor- atleast a Quadcore

let's see, no game will use 6gb of RAM and unless he plans on buying a 64-bit OS (which is entirely possible) he won't see more than 3.25gb of it. 4gb is plenty.

The ATI HD 3870 for notebooks is about comparable to a 9800M GT so GeForces aren't exactly the best. They have some competition now. Plus, the ATI cards seem to be FAR cheaper than NVidia cards for whatever reason.

For the CPU, for gaming right now, a fast Dual core will beat a Quad. Most games currently on the market can't take advantage of more than 2 cores and since Quads for laptops are fairly expensive it's probably not worth the money.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
As i always say, hve a look at some custom sager notebooks, cant beat them.....

Oh and i dont think i have ever even seen a notebook with 6GB RAM....way over the top

Status
Not open for further replies.