Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Windows 7
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
August 25, 2012 10:51:19 PM

Hi guys, first time coming here.
Okay here's the story

I did a full system upgrade yesterday including a New GPU (HD 6850) New mobo ( ASrock 970 Extreme3) 8 gigs of ram and a new power supply.

It was a pain in the butt to get the motherboard to even boot windows....dont even get me started there but I eventually did it. I installed all the drivers on the motherboard CD and restarted and I have no sound. A big red X.

Now I go in to my sound tab, and nothing shows up except Some HDMI thing called "High Definition Audio Device".
I dont have speakers. I dont have an HDMI cable, but I do have X12 turtle beach headphones. They do not need drivers to operate but I cant get sound working on them. Something isn't recognizing my headphones. I've installed/reinstalled Drivers for the realtek "High Definition Audio Controller" but I get a code 10 error on it. It seems as if I've tried everything....so if you guys can help me in anyway...I'd be more grateful than you'd know.

http://imgur.com/3g4v3,dkG3X,lMLmd,NohVx,F17Sq
http://imgur.com/3g4v3,dkG3X,lMLmd,NohVx,F17Sq#1
http://imgur.com/3g4v3,dkG3X,lMLmd,NohVx,F17Sq#2
http://imgur.com/3g4v3,dkG3X,lMLmd,NohVx,F17Sq#3
http://imgur.com/3g4v3,dkG3X,lMLmd,NohVx,F17Sq#4

More about : big audio problemo

August 25, 2012 10:53:16 PM

Was this a fresh install of Windows?
m
l
August 25, 2012 11:04:03 PM

I used the same HDD, but reformatted it upon installing the new mobo.

SO I guess it was fresh haha.
m
l
Related resources
a c 271 $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
August 25, 2012 11:10:13 PM

did you install the intel chipset drivers?? they control the usb ports on the mb. if you did and you have that error. plug the audio headphone into the green port on the mb that the speaker output. and plug the headphones into the mic port and reboot and see if anything changes.
m
l
August 25, 2012 11:18:34 PM

Alas, your method did not work unfortunately.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2012 11:24:00 PM

in the bios is onboard hd audio set to auto? try setting it to enable. Possibly the graphics card is knocking it out.

The manual states that the onboard sound will be disabled when set to auto and if pci sound card is present. Not sure if that includes gpu's sound or only other pci slots.

But worth a shot i guess trying it 'enabled'.
m
l
a c 271 $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
August 25, 2012 11:39:29 PM

i would boot into safe mode and uninstall the realtech audio drivers. then reboot and let windows install the realtech drivers.
then reboot. on reboot download the newest ones from realtech. most times when you install realtech drivers. it will see windows installed driver...tell you it has to uninstall and reboot. it does that and then install the newer driver on reboot.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
August 25, 2012 11:43:30 PM

you using sound through HDMI or are you using on board sound or are you using a sound card ?............. and don't uninstall the realtek sound drivers.
m
l
August 26, 2012 12:27:15 AM

Bios are good as far as sound. All enabled.
I dont have speakers or an HDMI cord, so I'm using onboard motherboard/headphones.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
August 26, 2012 1:12:25 AM

go into the device manager. find that HDMI High Def Audio thing and uninstall it. On boot up don't let windows reinstall.
m
l
August 26, 2012 4:33:15 AM

Every time I turn on my computer, it installs it instantly. How do I go about blocking it?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
August 26, 2012 5:20:58 AM

start/right click computer/properties/advanced system settings/hardware/device installation settings/never install driver software from Win. Update. ......save settings.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2012 6:26:24 AM

Let it install. Let windows install software for your hardware and addition to your own that came with your motherboard and the rest of your computer.

I doubt the problem you’re having is software related/and or conflicts due to drivers. If the drivers are meant for your computer it shouldn’t be this sophisticatedly complicated unless something is damaged.

What colour jack are you using at the back of the computer? Should be the lime coloured jack.

In playback devices have you made 'speakers' as your default audio source?

Have you made sure the bios is up to date (possibly audio problems) or sure the bios settings are correct?

If in the Playback devices tab the speakers are still crossed out then it probably is a faulty board, sorry.

In the link below is someone having similar problems and everything mentioned above has been mentioned here as well with not avail. An RMA eventually solved the issue with the audio working as it was expected.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/177807-realtek-a...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
August 26, 2012 6:53:15 AM

c'mon boju we're trying to solve a problem not create more.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2012 7:25:55 AM

Not at all making problems worse, it is possible there could be something else going wrong on a hardware level alas Op has a fresh install of windows.

Unnecessary difficulty in sound operations is very likely due to motherboard malfunction and will be very surprised if it’s anything else other than the solutions above already mentioned. It's happened to people, it could be the case here.
m
l
August 26, 2012 3:53:01 PM

Okay, I followed your instructions swifty, and as soon as I booted back up, drivers installed before I could do anything. I've set it to not do that, no idea what the hell is going on.

And Boju,

My headphones have a green, pink and USB jack.
I've plugged them into the right places on the front and back, neither of them even recognizing my headphones. When I go to the Sound tab in control panel, there's nothing there. For reference, take a peak at those screenshots on my first post. On my old mobo, I just stuck my headphones in and could hear....didn't have to jump through all these hoops haha.
m
l
August 26, 2012 5:23:18 PM

I think it might be my GPU (HD 6850) that keeps installing it every time I reboot.

Seeing as how I dont have any other cards around and my mobo doesn't come with a VGA socket, I might be SOL.

KIs there anyway to stop it from doing that?
m
l
August 26, 2012 5:55:42 PM

CountChoculaa said:
Here's what I see in my Sound Tab

http://imageshack.us/f/42/grrrrf.jpg/

Right click in the Playback window and make sure that "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices" are both checked. That should display more options.
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:17:47 PM

They're both checked....yet nothing appears
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:43:35 PM

i've racked my brain with this problem, i've googled it a million times, came to you guys as a last resort, still nothing. I may give the mobo company a call and demand a new one...I guess there's a very strong chance that it's faulty.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
August 26, 2012 6:49:49 PM

uninstall the amd drivers. reboot. then when you reinstall the amd drivers do a custom or advanced install. choose to NOT install the sound drivers.

and check to see if amd has an auto update thing. I know nvidia does. if so disable it............ this will be in the advanced install options section as listed above if it exists.

and you installed the drivers for the headphones off the disc ? and you went to windows update ?........ turn off windows auto update.
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:57:18 PM

None of the usual stuff seems to be working. Is this a brand new motherboard? If so it might have a faulty sound chip, so try to return it. Or if you don't want to go through all that hassle just get yourself a $10-$30 sound card and put it in one of your available PCIe x1 or PCI slots.
m
l
August 26, 2012 7:14:48 PM

You could get this open box Asus Xonar DG PCI sound card. It will also sound better than onboard sound.
m
l
August 26, 2012 7:20:06 PM

Is that asus sound card compatible with an AMD mobo?
m
l
August 26, 2012 7:25:00 PM

CountChoculaa said:
Is that asus sound card compatible with an AMD mobo?

Yes, just figure out which slots you can use that won't interfere with double slot GPU(s) and know whether it's PCI or PCIe. I looked up your motherboard and you have 2 PCI and 2 PCIe x1 and should have an extra PCIe x4. So just make sure you know what you want. The one linked above is a PCI slot card.
m
l
August 26, 2012 7:29:25 PM

thanks for the help guys, I woudn't purchase an ASRock motherboard in the future, atleast from my experience, it sucks. Anyways, thanks fellas
m
l
August 26, 2012 7:34:52 PM

Well I can't agree with that! I love ASRock. Never had a bad experience myself, but sometimes things just don't work right. It happens with other companies as well. I've had more faulty ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI motherboards than I have ASRock. Try to return it, they have good customer service. It might take a week or two to get a replacement. You might be able to work out and advanced replacement with them...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2012 11:18:31 PM

The Digital Audio (hdmi) you see in the playback devices tab is either the gpu or another digital (hdmi/optical) output on the motherboard and would come alive if it was plugged via hdmi - like to a tv.

This doesn’t matter; if the onboard sound was working it would be shown there as another option. I have few different audio devices there in sound; One for hdmi on the gpu, optical out on the mobo and onboard analogue which I’m using with speakers.

Good luck replacing the board.

edit.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
August 26, 2012 11:45:30 PM

boju said:
The Digital Audio (hdmi) you see in the playback devices tab is either the gpu or another digital (hdmi/optical) output on the motherboard and would come alive if it was plugged via hdmi - like to a tv.

This doesn’t matter; if the onboard sound was working it would be shown there as another option. I have few different audio devices there in sound; One for hdmi on the gpu, optical out on the mobo and onboard analogue which I’m using with speakers.

Good luck replacing the board.

edit.

that's not always the case. that's the reason I'm trying to isolate it to one driver one device.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 27, 2012 1:12:38 AM

If the user was trying to install incorrect drivers for his system type 32/64bit or the drivers from the cd are corrupt then maybe.

Could be wrong but the only sound device showing is probably his Radeon. It isn’t showing as that which is making it confusing.

AMD HD Audio Device will show up as "High Definition Audio Device" when the AMD HDMI/DP Drivers are not installed. When they are installed it will show up as "AMD HD Audio Device".
m
l
August 27, 2012 1:24:24 AM

swifty_morgan said:
that's not always the case. that's the reason I'm trying to isolate it to one driver one device.

You did a good job troubleshooting 'swifty_morgan'. At this point, it would seem it's either operator error or bad motherboard. Possibly the later. It's good to see guys like you trying to help people out the right way, I applaud you for that. The quality of help has been looking to be dwindling the past few months.
m
l
August 27, 2012 4:02:40 AM

Had my IT buddy come over and look at it.....Appears the motherboard is faulty. USB 2.0 ports dont work, even on front panel. Planning on giving ASRock a call tomorrow, see if they can somehow send me another motherboard while I keep this one momentarily for college. Hopefully they will work with me. Anyways, thanks again for your time guys, I really appreciate it!
m
l