Sign in with
Your question

Can a TFT accept a 40Hz Refresh rate input?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 5, 2006 12:11:24 PM

Hi All,

Does anyone know, before I try it, whether there are any flat panels that will accept a 40hz input and display it? I've got a source that outputs at that low refresh (normally connected to a projector and it works fine) but I want to be able to test the output by connecting it to either a CRT or TFT. From what I understand, a CRT display is designed to operate from a minimum of 50Hz (Otherwise will show up as out of sync etc). Is it the same with TFT's? Do they have to have a minimum, even though they don't work in the same way as CRT's?

I'm happy to invest in a new TFT to do it but need to know it's going to work first.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks,

Toby.
September 5, 2006 12:42:13 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

Does anyone know, before I try it, whether there are any flat panels that will accept a 40hz input and display it? I've got a source that outputs at that low refresh (normally connected to a projector and it works fine) but I want to be able to test the output by connecting it to either a CRT or TFT. From what I understand, a CRT display is designed to operate from a minimum of 50Hz (Otherwise will show up as out of sync etc). Is it the same with TFT's? Do they have to have a minimum, even though they don't work in the same way as CRT's?

I'm happy to invest in a new TFT to do it but need to know it's going to work first.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks,

Toby.

Probably not. But acceptable refresh rates for each resolution supported will be listed on the makers' website.
September 5, 2006 8:58:25 PM

not sure as they don't have refresh rates. the purpose of refresh rates in LCD's is so the gfx card nows what it is. they need to know it to work AFAIK. i know one of the reason a refresh rate is even mentioned is so gfx cards no how many frames to produce when v-sync is enabled .

there is no reason it should work although AFAIK it won't affect how the LCD works as i think the pixel response time is set and only voltasge supplied to the LCD's can alter it although i may be wrong about that last part.

again i am not 100% sure on alot of what i wronte but i do know that refresh rate should have no impact on how the LCD performs.

may i ask why you need it :?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 7, 2006 2:15:27 PM

>> may i ask why you need it Confused

As mentioned in the original post, it's currently running a projector but it's a pain to test and calibrate the equipment on the projector - would be a lot easier on a desktop display.

Might just have to borrow some unsuspecting souls TFT and give it a go, just got to find one with Sync on green support. Some of the cheap panels don't seem to support it, but some of the Viewsonic range appear to so will go look for one of those.

Thanks for efforts everyone, I guess it's a case of suck it and see!

Toby.
September 7, 2006 5:53:32 PM

doh, soory i am an idiot who cannot read. my mistake. AFAIK it should work fine, i wouldn't mind knowing the outcome thoguh and good luck.
!