Sign in with
Your question
Closed

master volume control mutes itself

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 5, 2006 12:18:48 PM

Hi,

running windows xp/ SP1 on hp compaq nc6000

problem: master volume control keeps muting itself. Intermittent fault.

I read the pages here and found a solution - it is either the mouse or the keyboard. Heres the quote - and the solution, (which worked apparently)

____cut____
I have a wierd problem with my volume control in windows XP sound mixer. the master sound volume slider will continually slide down to 0%. It does this erratically. Sometimes it takes 5 min for volume to completly reduce itself, in several intermediate steps. Sometimes it reduces itself instantly. I have to keep the mixer window up at all times to hear music.
The only pattern that I have found is that it seems to lower itself faster if the computer's been on for a while. Maybe a heat problm??? sounds inprobuble to me.

This happens to me when i use winamp, WMP9, computer games, nothing.
I do not remember doing anything directly before this started happening.
I updated my creative drivers. updated to early SP2 release. problem continues.
I reinstalled windows, updated windows & sound drivers. problem continues.
I reinstalled windows, installed sound drivers from CD. problem continues.
I removed my soundcard, enabled my onboard sound. problem continues.

At this point, using sound is impractical sad.gif .
Any suggestions of things to try?
thanks.

- Morale Booster
peekj
Oct 1 2004, 08:38 PM
Leprechauns in your computer maybe?

Just a hunch, try a different mouse... if your mouse has a scroll wheel, it could be reducing the volume. Same if you have a keyboard with volume control or something like that.

It's an easy thing to try and eliminate as the source of the problem.
Morale Booster
Oct 1 2004, 08:49 PM
QUOTE(peekj @ Oct 1 2004, 04:38 PM)
Leprechauns in your computer maybe?

Just a hunch, try a different mouse... if your mouse has a scroll wheel, it could be reducing the volume. Same if you have a keyboard with volume control or something like that.

It's an easy thing to try and eliminate as the source of the problem.

My keyboard was indead the problem. Thanks for the suggestion smile.gif

_____cut_______

So - I've got the same problem - it's not the mouse - tried that - so must be keyboard. Which is a bummer - as I have a laptop.

Any work arounds known?

Thanks in advance.....

unc..

More about : master volume control mutes

September 5, 2006 1:41:25 PM

What do you expect, buying Compaq ?
September 5, 2006 4:05:08 PM

Actually if your laptop has a potentiometer as a volume control humidity/ moisture may have got the best of it....Open up your lap top, locate said potentiometer. There's allways 2 holes in the back cover on the edges that allow machinery to grab and place the cover during production find the holes & blast contact cleaner in them,rotate the control several times... Then follow by blasting canned Air in to the holes to expell excess contact cleaner.

***Warning*** Make sure you use a contact cleaner that will NOT melt plastic...also remove the laptops battery 1st.

Now How about calling the Cracker Jack co.'s tech support line as you obviously got that thing as a prize and some of the caramel melted & got into your volume control :wink:
Related resources
January 11, 2009 4:46:32 PM

Re: Desktop volume control muting itself...

I have the same problem. Thought it might be some prank malware doing it. Found this post and checked my Logitech SK-2930 Media Keyboard. Darned if the keyboard volume mute button was being accidentally pressed by other stuff on my desk. Didn't think that the extra buttons would be active since I hadn't installed the custom driver. Duh!
July 26, 2010 4:28:23 PM

Same mute problem on xp sp3. It just turns the mute on, no gradual volume reduction.
I tried a different mouse. My keyboard does not have any mute function.
It is driving me a little crazy. Using Dell, not Compaq.
I don't have any new hardware.

I found a .vbs script file that will mute/unmute and it works fine
but it does not solve the problem, it only makes it quicker to unmute.
http://www.nilpo.com/2008/11/windows-xp/mute-sound-volu...

Thanks for any advice !
October 10, 2011 4:45:49 PM

I am also having the same problem. When I try recording the output. the recording volumn control automatically reduces to around 5%. so, unable to hear the mic volume. not sure how to fix it.
October 10, 2011 5:13:17 PM

dpsubi1
Start a new thread this one is old and needs to be closed!
October 10, 2011 5:13:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!