How do I make a Service Pack 2 CD-R

I am going to write the Service Pack 2 to a CD-R. I have extracted it and
the top folder will be i386. I'm not sure if the name of the CD-R matters
how about WinXPSP2? But one thing I am trying to avoid is the sfc issue.

Using sfc in Windows 2000 I was asked to put my Windows 2000 SP3 CDROM in
the drive. I put the CDR in that I used.but it didn't work. Investigating
this issue at Microsoft the best I could come up with is that I used
update.exe to install the Serrvice Pack. I could find no other executable
in the Service Pack that was clearly going to update the system. But doing
this led to the sfc issue. I want to avoid that.

I'd like to put a Autrun in also. But I don't know the executable it should
call. Any ideas how to do this right? Thanks.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

George

If you downloaded the IT professional version (266mb), you can burn this to
a CD.. what you can't do is extract SP2 from an XP installation and expect
it to work at a later date.. in another reply, you have been given the link
to order an SP2 CD.. use it..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am going to write the Service Pack 2 to a CD-R. I have extracted it and
> the top folder will be i386. I'm not sure if the name of the CD-R matters
> how about WinXPSP2? But one thing I am trying to avoid is the sfc issue.
>
> Using sfc in Windows 2000 I was asked to put my Windows 2000 SP3 CDROM in
> the drive. I put the CDR in that I used.but it didn't work.
> Investigating
> this issue at Microsoft the best I could come up with is that I used
> update.exe to install the Serrvice Pack. I could find no other executable
> in the Service Pack that was clearly going to update the system. But
> doing
> this led to the sfc issue. I want to avoid that.
>
> I'd like to put a Autrun in also. But I don't know the executable it
> should
> call. Any ideas how to do this right? Thanks.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________

I never expected to "extract SP2 from an XP installation." What I expected
to do is write SP2 to a CD-R and have it work with sfc when it is run. If
Microsoft provides just such a CDROM why then can I not make my own? But
from what kurttrail said above this sfc issue is going to result whether I
make my own or obtain the one from Microsoft. Maybe I need to do that
slipstream after all. In which case I would put that CD-R in when sfc wants
the Windows XP CDROM. Do you think that will work?

--
George Hester
_______________________________

George Hester wrote:
> I never expected to "extract SP2 from an XP installation." What I
> expected to do is write SP2 to a CD-R and have it work with sfc when
> it is run. If Microsoft provides just such a CDROM why then can I
> not make my own? But from what kurttrail said above this sfc issue
> is going to result whether I make my own or obtain the one from
> Microsoft. Maybe I need to do that slipstream after all. In which
> case I would put that CD-R in when sfc wants the Windows XP CDROM.
> Do you think that will work?

Yes, I have used a slipstreamed CD with sfc since SP1 has been released.
And SP2 also.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Why the hell is Microsoft offereing a SP2 CD-ROM when they KNOW it will mess
up SFC? Why do they do these type of things? Is it any wonder I stay away
from the majority of security fixes this company chucks out there so often?
There is probably a concerened individual that knows the reprocussions of
these updates but is not going to jeopardize their job telling anyone.
That's the way it seems to me.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

George Hester wrote:

> I never expected to "extract SP2 from an XP installation." What I expected
> to do is write SP2 to a CD-R and have it work with sfc when it is run. If
> Microsoft provides just such a CDROM why then can I not make my own? But
> from what kurttrail said above this sfc issue is going to result whether I
> make my own or obtain the one from Microsoft. Maybe I need to do that
> slipstream after all. In which case I would put that CD-R in when sfc wants
> the Windows XP CDROM. Do you think that will work?

Yes, that is exactly what you need to do, slipstream a full XP w/SP2 CD.
Yes, it will work.

Steve

George Hester wrote:
> Why the hell is Microsoft offereing a SP2 CD-ROM when they KNOW it
> will mess up SFC? Why do they do these type of things?

Because some people can't download a file that size easily.

Why does MS encourage OEM to not give out full install CDs, which makes
it impossible for OEM customers to do a repair install?

MS doesn't really give a F*#k about it's customers, except to use
behavior modification on them to tow the Microsoft Party Line.

> Is it any
> wonder I stay away from the majority of security fixes this company
> chucks out there so often? There is probably a concerened individual
> that knows the reprocussions of these updates but is not going to
> jeopardize their job telling anyone. That's the way it seems to me.

You should download and install MS security updates, because too many of
the virus writers are targeting unpatched computers, but stay away from
adding layers of code to the patching process, and do the patching
manually.

http://microscum.com/comsense/

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Slipstreaming links

Autostreamer
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
Instructions:
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248
Creating a bootable Windows XP

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Click the Windows XP Faq button and take a look at question 83

freeware CD burning application
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
Introduction to using scannow sfc (system file checker)

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am going to write the Service Pack 2 to a CD-R. I have extracted it and
> the top folder will be i386. I'm not sure if the name of the CD-R matters
> how about WinXPSP2? But one thing I am trying to avoid is the sfc issue.
>
> Using sfc in Windows 2000 I was asked to put my Windows 2000 SP3 CDROM in
> the drive. I put the CDR in that I used.but it didn't work. Investigating
> this issue at Microsoft the best I could come up with is that I used
> update.exe to install the Serrvice Pack. I could find no other executable
> in the Service Pack that was clearly going to update the system. But doing
> this led to the sfc issue. I want to avoid that.
>
> I'd like to put a Autrun in also. But I don't know the executable it should
> call. Any ideas how to do this right? Thanks.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________

No I don't want to do a slipstream. I want to make a Service Pack 2 CD--R.
Thanks.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

George Hester wrote:
> No I don't want to do a slipstream. I want to make a Service Pack 2
> CD--R. Thanks.

If you want to try to avoid SFC issues, then you do want to slipstream.

--

George Hester wrote:

> No I don't want to do a slipstream. I want to make a Service Pack 2 CD--R.
> Thanks.
>
> --
> George Hester

Sorry, but yes, you do want to do a slipstreamed Windows XP w/SP2 CD to
avoid the SFC problems. Inserting an SP2 upgrade CD alone will not
satisfy SFC prompting for a Windows XP w/SP2 CD.

Steve

> _______________________________
> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Slipstreaming links
>>

>>Autostreamer
>>http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
>>Instructions:
>>

> http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.htm
>
>>Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
>>http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
>>
>>http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
>>Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD
>>
>>http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248
>>Creating a bootable Windows XP
>>
>>http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
>>Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
>>
>>http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>Click the Windows XP Faq button and take a look at question 83
>>
>>freeware CD burning application
>>http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
>>
>>http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
>>Introduction to using scannow sfc (system file checker)
>>

>>"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I am going to write the Service Pack 2 to a CD-R. I have extracted it
>
> and
>
>>>the top folder will be i386. I'm not sure if the name of the CD-R
>
> matters
>
>>>how about WinXPSP2? But one thing I am trying to avoid is the sfc
>
> issue.
>
>>>Using sfc in Windows 2000 I was asked to put my Windows 2000 SP3 CDROM
>
> in
>
>>>the drive. I put the CDR in that I used.but it didn't work.
>
> Investigating
>
>>>this issue at Microsoft the best I could come up with is that I used
>>>update.exe to install the Serrvice Pack. I could find no other
>
> executable
>
>>>in the Service Pack that was clearly going to update the system. But
>
> doing
>
>>>this led to the sfc issue. I want to avoid that.
>>>
>>>I'd like to put a Autrun in also. But I don't know the executable it
>
> should
>
>>>call. Any ideas how to do this right? Thanks.
>>>
>>>--
>>>George Hester
>>>_______________________________

Well there you go. It seems then that the SP2 which can be obtained from
Microsoft will still result in this sfc issue? Right?

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> George Hester wrote:
> > No I don't want to do a slipstream. I want to make a Service Pack 2
> > CD--R. Thanks.
>
> If you want to try to avoid SFC issues, then you do want to slipstream.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

That's the way it looks. So then what good is the SP2 from Microsoft? Same
issue will occur will it not?
How about this.

Install Windows XP SP2 from the Network Install.
Slipstream SP2 into Windows XP burn that.
Use that when queried for the Windows XP CD-ROM by SFC.

Think that's the right thing to do to avoid this SFC issue?

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message
> George Hester wrote:
>
> > No I don't want to do a slipstream. I want to make a Service Pack 2
CD--R.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
>

> Sorry, but yes, you do want to do a slipstreamed Windows XP w/SP2 CD to
> avoid the SFC problems. Inserting an SP2 upgrade CD alone will not
> satisfy SFC prompting for a Windows XP w/SP2 CD.
>
> Steve
>
> > _______________________________
> > "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Slipstreaming links
> >>

> >>Autostreamer
> >>http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
> >>Instructions:

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.htm

> >>Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
> >>http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
> >>
> >>http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
> >>Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD
> >>
> >>http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248
> >>Creating a bootable Windows XP
> >>
> >>http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
> >>Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
> >>
> >>http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >>Click the Windows XP Faq button and take a look at question 83
> >>
> >>freeware CD burning application
> >>http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
> >>
> >>http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
> >>Introduction to using scannow sfc (system file checker)
> >>

> >>"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > and

> > matters

> > issue.

> > in

> > Investigating

> > executable

> > doing

> > should

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
Windows XP Service Pack 2 then burn to CD

> No I don't want to do a slipstream. I want to make a Service Pack 2 CD--R.
> Thanks.
>
> --
> George Hester

Right. I have done that and extracted the Service Pack. It is under the
i386 folder. Trouble is I want to set a autorun in it but I don't know the
executable it should point to and if the name of the CD matters. I did this
with Windows 2000 SP3 and used update.exe on it to install the Service Pack.
Trouble is sfc doesn't like it and according to Microsoft this issue of sfc
not being able to complete is because the Service Pack was installed using
update.exe. That's my issue which I am trying to address here.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

George Hester wrote:

> That's the way it looks. So then what good is the SP2 from Microsoft? Same
> issue will occur will it not?
> How about this.
>
> Install Windows XP SP2 from the Network Install.
> Slipstream SP2 into Windows XP burn that.
> Use that when queried for the Windows XP CD-ROM by SFC.
>
> Think that's the right thing to do to avoid this SFC issue?
>
> --
> George Hester

Yep, you got it.

Steve

> _______________________________
> "Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message
>
>>George Hester wrote:
>>

>>>No I don't want to do a slipstream. I want to make a Service Pack 2
>
> CD--R.
>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>--
>>>George Hester
>>

>>Sorry, but yes, you do want to do a slipstreamed Windows XP w/SP2 CD to
>>avoid the SFC problems. Inserting an SP2 upgrade CD alone will not
>>satisfy SFC prompting for a Windows XP w/SP2 CD.
>>
>>Steve
>>

>>>_______________________________
>>>"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.htm

>>>and

>>>matters

>>>issue.

>>>in

>>>Investigating

>>>executable

>>>doing

>>>should

OK well that's what I'll do. Thanks.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> George Hester wrote:
>
> > That's the way it looks. So then what good is the SP2 from Microsoft?
Same
> > issue will occur will it not?
> > How about this.
> >
> > Install Windows XP SP2 from the Network Install.
> > Slipstream SP2 into Windows XP burn that.
> > Use that when queried for the Windows XP CD-ROM by SFC.
> >
> > Think that's the right thing to do to avoid this SFC issue?
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
>

> Yep, you got it.
>
> Steve
>
> > _______________________________
> > "Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message

> > CD--R.

> >>Sorry, but yes, you do want to do a slipstreamed Windows XP w/SP2 CD to
> >>avoid the SFC problems. Inserting an SP2 upgrade CD alone will not
> >>satisfy SFC prompting for a Windows XP w/SP2 CD.
> >>
> >>Steve

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.htm

CDROM

Didn't know about that particular web site Kurt, but thanks for suggesting
it. It really made a lot of since to me about security and "automatic
updates". Thanks !

Redwagon.....

"kurttrail" wrote:

> George Hester wrote:
> > Why the hell is Microsoft offereing a SP2 CD-ROM when they KNOW it
> > will mess up SFC? Why do they do these type of things?
>
> Because some people can't download a file that size easily.
>
> Why does MS encourage OEM to not give out full install CDs, which makes
> it impossible for OEM customers to do a repair install?
>
> MS doesn't really give a F*#k about it's customers, except to use
> behavior modification on them to tow the Microsoft Party Line.
>
> > Is it any
> > wonder I stay away from the majority of security fixes this company
> > chucks out there so often? There is probably a concerened individual
> > that knows the reprocussions of these updates but is not going to
> > jeopardize their job telling anyone. That's the way it seems to me.
>
> You should download and install MS security updates, because too many of
> the virus writers are targeting unpatched computers, but stay away from
> adding layers of code to the patching process, and do the patching
> manually.
>
> http://microscum.com/comsense/
>
> --
> Peace!