WinXP CDRW/DVDRW Problem

June 27, 2005 12:48:07 PM

Hi

(I'm not sure if this is the correct newsgroup to post my problem but if so,
then I'm sure someone will tell me)?

I have two CD Drives installed ( 1 x CD-RW & 1 x DVD-RW) and both were
working fine right up until I upgraded my CD-RW Drive. I have now just
installed a 'new' CD-RW Drive as Master on IDE2 and the DVD-RW is SLAVE.

I normally like to keep the drive firmware up to date and after checking the
LG website, I downloaded the latest firmware (v1.05 for the LG 8526B). I
connected the drive as Master and the only device on IDE2 and after closing
all running programs, I executed the .exe file.

I got a message saying "wait a moment" followed by "CD Drive model does not
match". The problem is that "it does match" and the LG 8526B is shown
correctly by the BIOS and during POST, also it's correctly displayed in
Device Manager and the drives do work (i.e. tray opens and shuts). I've
upgraded the firmware of all my LG drives in the past and had no problems,
so I can't quite understand what's going on here.

Prior to installing the new CD-RW drive, I could insert a 'boot disk' and
the drives would be found without problems but, since installing the new LG
8526B, when I now insert the 'bootdisk', I get the following :

"No drivers found, aborting installation".

and

"No valid CD-ROM device drivers selected".

WinXP has it's own 'built-in' ATAPI drivers so no drivers are normally
needed but I think that since installing the new drive, they have gone
'walkabouts'.

BTW, when I installed the new drive, I updated the MBR and reset the "system
config" but I still get the above boot message and still can't upgrade the
drive firmware. If I restall XP, then doing that will sort out the problem
that is a bit drastic and I feel there must be a more simpler answer.

Can anyone help please?

Regards

Dave
June 27, 2005 2:25:47 PM

Dave wrote:

> Hi
>
> (I'm not sure if this is the correct newsgroup to post my problem but if
> so, then I'm sure someone will tell me)?
>
> I have two CD Drives installed ( 1 x CD-RW & 1 x DVD-RW) and both were
> working fine right up until I upgraded my CD-RW Drive. I have now just
> installed a 'new' CD-RW Drive as Master on IDE2 and the DVD-RW is SLAVE.
>
> I normally like to keep the drive firmware up to date and after checking
> the LG website, I downloaded the latest firmware (v1.05 for the LG
> 8526B). I connected the drive as Master and the only device on IDE2
> and after closing all running programs, I executed the .exe file.
>
> I got a message saying "wait a moment" followed by "CD Drive model does
> not match". The problem is that "it does match" and the LG 8526B is
> shown correctly by the BIOS and during POST, also it's correctly
> displayed in Device Manager and the drives do work (i.e. tray opens and
> shuts). I've upgraded the firmware of all my LG drives in the past and
> had no problems, so I can't quite understand what's going on here.
>
> Prior to installing the new CD-RW drive, I could insert a 'boot disk'
> and the drives would be found without problems but, since installing the
> new LG 8526B, when I now insert the 'bootdisk', I get the following :
>
> "No drivers found, aborting installation".
>
> and
>
> "No valid CD-ROM device drivers selected".
>
> WinXP has it's own 'built-in' ATAPI drivers so no drivers are normally
> needed but I think that since installing the new drive, they have gone
> 'walkabouts'.
>
> BTW, when I installed the new drive, I updated the MBR and reset the
> "system config" but I still get the above boot message and still can't
> upgrade the drive firmware. If I restall XP, then doing that will sort
> out the problem that is a bit drastic and I feel there must be a more
> simpler answer.
>
> Can anyone help please?
>
> Regards
>
> Dave

You might want to contact tech support for the drive manufacturer.
Maybe he drive is bad. Have you tried it in another system to know it
is good?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User