lsass.exe Lost my XP !

Hello I'm speaking from a freshly installed XP Home ed. platform ! ...from
a SP2 slipstream disk I made a while ago ...glad I did !

Obviously I'm now never going to know for sure wha caused it. I was getting
the
"lsass.exe - System Error - "Object not found" box with an OK to click on,
and then after a minute or so PC would reboot.
My a/v was up to date - never was there a sign of a Sasser variant but, I
had just downloaded a "try before you buy" 15 day trial of a telephone call
recording program called "CallCorder." I scanned it with my a/v before
installing - all clear.
I'm wondering if it could have been anything to do with XP Home's bloody
"casual copy prevention," and me changing hardware around? An hour or so
before it happened, I had gone to Add/Remove Programs and uninstalled an
Intel 57ep 56k modem, and changed the modem pci card for a Diamond
SupraExpress 56i VCC V92, then later uninstalled that and put the Intel 57ep
back in! ...while trialling CallCorder. Just before I started getting the
lsass.exe box, I got a "log out Richard" screen, there's only one user and
administrator on this non-networked PC.

Couldn't get into any of the F8 startup options - couldn't even get to the
command prompt.
Tried the repair install - same thing ! So gave up, deleted xp partition,
reformatted and reinstalled.
GOD ! ...there's so much to do, just did my 4 registry keys for OE
(progs/data all on 2nd hd thank goodness).
....another thing I noticed after reinstalling - my main large pagefile.sys
on the first drive of my 2nd hd vanished, did XP reinstall clean that up for
me - I though that is would have been left behind for me to clear up?
Before re(slipstream)installing, I had a 60mb pagefile.sys on c:\ and the
system managed big pagefile.sys on the first drive of my 2nd hd.

My instincts tell me it was damaged lsass.exe log on authentication type
thing but, WHAT a BITCH having to reinstall !!!!!.. first time for a couple
of years !

Any ideas as to what destroyed my XP ?

regards, Richard

"RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello I'm speaking from a freshly installed XP Home ed. platform !
> ...from a SP2 slipstream disk I made a while ago ...glad I did !
>
> Obviously I'm now never going to know for sure wha caused it. I was
> getting the
> "lsass.exe - System Error - "Object not found" box with an OK to click
> on, and then after a minute or so PC would reboot.
> My a/v was up to date - never was there a sign of a Sasser variant but, I
> had just downloaded a "try before you buy" 15 day trial of a telephone
> call recording program called "CallCorder." I scanned it with my a/v
> before installing - all clear.
> I'm wondering if it could have been anything to do with XP Home's bloody
> "casual copy prevention," and me changing hardware around? An hour or so
> before it happened, I had gone to Add/Remove Programs and uninstalled an
> Intel 57ep 56k modem, and changed the modem pci card for a Diamond
> SupraExpress 56i VCC V92, then later uninstalled that and put the Intel
> 57ep back in! ...while trialling CallCorder. Just before I started
> getting the lsass.exe box, I got a "log out Richard" screen, there's only
> one user and administrator on this non-networked PC.
>
> Couldn't get into any of the F8 startup options - couldn't even get to the
> command prompt.
> Tried the repair install - same thing ! So gave up, deleted xp partition,
> reformatted and reinstalled.
> GOD ! ...there's so much to do, just did my 4 registry keys for OE
> (progs/data all on 2nd hd thank goodness).
> ...another thing I noticed after reinstalling - my main large pagefile.sys
> on the first drive of my 2nd hd vanished, did XP reinstall clean that up
> for me - I though that is would have been left behind for me to clear up?
> Before re(slipstream)installing, I had a 60mb pagefile.sys on c:\ and the
> system managed big pagefile.sys on the first drive of my 2nd hd.
>
> My instincts tell me it was damaged lsass.exe log on authentication type
> thing but, WHAT a BITCH having to reinstall !!!!!.. first time for a
> couple of years !
>
> Any ideas as to what destroyed my XP ?
>
> regards, Richard

Read You may receive an "LSASS.EXE" error message when you run Automated
System Recovery on a Windows XP-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324049

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

RJK wrote:

> Hello I'm speaking from a freshly installed XP Home ed. platform ! ...from
> a SP2 slipstream disk I made a while ago ...glad I did !
>
> Obviously I'm now never going to know for sure wha caused it. I was getting
> the
> "lsass.exe - System Error - "Object not found" box with an OK to click on,
> and then after a minute or so PC would reboot.
> My a/v was up to date - never was there a sign of a Sasser variant but, I
> had just downloaded a "try before you buy" 15 day trial of a telephone call
> recording program called "CallCorder." I scanned it with my a/v before
> installing - all clear.
> I'm wondering if it could have been anything to do with XP Home's bloody
> "casual copy prevention," and me changing hardware around? An hour or so
> before it happened, I had gone to Add/Remove Programs and uninstalled an
> Intel 57ep 56k modem, and changed the modem pci card for a Diamond
> SupraExpress 56i VCC V92, then later uninstalled that and put the Intel 57ep
> back in! ...while trialling CallCorder. Just before I started getting the
> lsass.exe box, I got a "log out Richard" screen, there's only one user and
> administrator on this non-networked PC.
>
> Couldn't get into any of the F8 startup options - couldn't even get to the
> command prompt.
> Tried the repair install - same thing ! So gave up, deleted xp partition,
> reformatted and reinstalled.
> GOD ! ...there's so much to do, just did my 4 registry keys for OE
> (progs/data all on 2nd hd thank goodness).
> ...another thing I noticed after reinstalling - my main large pagefile.sys
> on the first drive of my 2nd hd vanished, did XP reinstall clean that up for
> me - I though that is would have been left behind for me to clear up?
> Before re(slipstream)installing, I had a 60mb pagefile.sys on c:\ and the
> system managed big pagefile.sys on the first drive of my 2nd hd.
>
> My instincts tell me it was damaged lsass.exe log on authentication type
> thing but, WHAT a BITCH having to reinstall !!!!!.. first time for a couple
> of years !
>
> Any ideas as to what destroyed my XP ?
>
> regards, Richard

Don't have an answer to your query but suggest you consider getting a
drive imaging program to create an image of the partitions on removable
media such as an external USB hard drive. Then if the system gets hosed
restore from the image. It is fast and reliable. Norton Ghost,
Acronis True Image, Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows and BootIt NG
are examples.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanx Rock,

Yours is good advice. Up until a couple of months ago I had been Norton
Ghosting all drives on hd1 onto hd2, and all drives on hd2 onto hd1 !
Then I got immersed in mastering Colour management / Adobe Photoshop /
colour profiles and a few months or more slipped by !
I briefly wieghed it up, and skipped the Norton image restore in favour of
testing out that XP Home slipstream cd I made a couple of months ago.
After bashing everything back into shape I'll image my Windows drive again.

When I started getting the "lsass.exe - System Error / Object not found," I
went onto the net with Dads PC and had a major rummage with Google. I found
many posts made by people that had varius types of the Sasser virus, and
lots by people who seemed to have aquired a similar situation that was due
to problems with the Windows lsass.exe file / service that seemed unrelated
to Sasser i.e. they had more of a damaged Windows system file, sort of
thing, if you see what I mean.

In any event, I failed to find a repair procedure for "lsass.exe - System
Error / Object not found." !!!!

regards, Richard

Thanx, I had a quick look at that but, couldn't relate it to my (now solved)
problem.

regards, Richard