Tally of Kills / Losses

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Would the clever custodians of the game like to consider creating a
deity tool which keeps track of kills and losses for each nation?

Would be interesting to see how one fared militarily at the end of the
game. You could even have a running tally on a "Kills Chart" which
players can view, though sometimes this might be giving too much
information away.

Another variation to the game this could produce is the inclusion of
kills/losses on the power chart calculation. Every kill would generate
extra points proportional to the value of the unit destroyed. Every
loss would do the opposite.

This system would encourage preservation of damaged units (at the
moment the benefits of preserving units are considerably less).

This might put a whole new slant on the game.

Wahbit

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

I like this idea, but with some twists:

1) Make it so that a country's happiness depends on their
combat efficiency. Countries who lose lots of soldiers
should have extra unhappy widows at home.

2) Add a sector-by-sector tally of the losses field so
that creative deities who make lots of maps can then
also make maps of where the carnage occurred each
update with shadings of red-tones proportional to
losses in that sector per update.

-Bungy

"Wahbit" <wahbitc@hotmail.com> writes:

> Would the clever custodians of the game like to consider creating a
> deity tool which keeps track of kills and losses for each nation?
>
> Would be interesting to see how one fared militarily at the end of the
> game. You could even have a running tally on a "Kills Chart" which
> players can view, though sometimes this might be giving too much
> information away.

I got a rough patch to do fascist logging■. It could be modified to
include damage and kill information, which could then be summarized
from the log. The way the code is written, keeping track of who does
the damage in a gazillion of cases would be quite a bit of rather
tedious work, I fear.

> Another variation to the game this could produce is the inclusion of
> kills/losses on the power chart calculation. Every kill would generate
> extra points proportional to the value of the unit destroyed. Every
> loss would do the opposite.
>
> This system would encourage preservation of damaged units (at the
> moment the benefits of preserving units are considerably less).

Whether that's a good or a bad thing is left as an exercise for the
players...

> This might put a whole new slant on the game.

Do players care about their rank in the power chart, except at the end
of the game?

> Wahbit

■ Available on request. I should finish it so it can be included in
the game.

"Bungholio" <empire_bungholioNOSAPM@verizon.net> writes:

> I like this idea, but with some twists:
>
> 1) Make it so that a country's happiness depends on their
> combat efficiency. Countries who lose lots of soldiers
> should have extra unhappy widows at home.

Should be feasible. How many strollers suffice to console a widow?

> 2) Add a sector-by-sector tally of the losses field so
> that creative deities who make lots of maps can then
> also make maps of where the carnage occurred each
> update with shadings of red-tones proportional to
> losses in that sector per update.

I'd tally from suitable logs.