docs to go 7

August 31, 2004 12:49:19 AM

I have heard no mention of new docs 2 go 7 anywhere on the internet, usenet,
macupdate, etc. Any reason?

More about : docs

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 12:59:10 AM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:49:19 +0100, Simon Dobbs had this to say...

> I have heard no mention of new docs 2 go 7 anywhere on the internet, usenet,
> macupdate, etc. Any reason?

Usually people only post to whine and complain, I see the lack of posts
to indicate a good clean release of an already fabulous product.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:59:10 +0100, Jim Anderson wrote
(in article <MPG.1b9d50f9aab1535898980d@news.frontiernet.net>):

> Usually people only post to whine and complain, I see the lack of posts
> to indicate a good clean release of an already fabulous product.

I think I agree- no problems here- a definite improvement- I , being
paranoid, simply wondered.......
Related resources
August 31, 2004 2:06:54 AM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:06:53 +0100, Simon Dobbs
<simondobbs@froglet.net> waived the right to be silent and professed:

>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:59:10 +0100, Jim Anderson wrote
>(in article <MPG.1b9d50f9aab1535898980d@news.frontiernet.net>):
>
>> Usually people only post to whine and complain, I see the lack of posts
>> to indicate a good clean release of an already fabulous product.
>
>I think I agree- no problems here- a definite improvement- I , being
>paranoid, simply wondered.......

My only complaint? The default is for the program to scan for all
compatible file formats upon launching. Even if I did not install the
picture viewer, all the pictures on my card showed up in the list!!

So I had to tick off the option and delete all the DocsToGo DBs from
RAM (I moved the software to ROM), then restart the program. The
default should be off and it should prompt on first lauch.

Big improvements? Nav button scrolls by the screenful. And full screen
view for spreadsheets.

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Anonymous

Bruno <insert@address.here> wrote:

> My only complaint? The default is for the program to scan for all
> compatible file formats upon launching. Even if I did not install the
> picture viewer, all the pictures on my card showed up in the list!!

That's a major complaint of mine too. And you can't remove something from
the list without deleting the file.

Same goes for the desktop counterpart program -- if you remove something
there, it gets deleted on the Palm on the next sync.

Another flaw (major flaw if you sync with two computers) is that there's no
option for "Handheld overwrites Desktop".

Minor gripes:
Bigger memory footprint. Not recommended for 8MB devices, even with DTG as
the only app.
HUGE heap mem usage. Don't even think about viewing sheets with less than
2MB heap free.
Slower startup times than 6.008
Sketchy wide screen support -- the subprograms open in small screen even if
you have the main DTG program running in full screen. And it doesn't
remember your preferences.
Even when you've checked the box to not be asked again whether you want DTG
to be your default JPG viewer, it still asks you at startup after each time
you've synced with a different PC.
The email functionality doesn't integrate with the address book. And you
need to add at least one recipient. Not everyone remembers addresses like
zs198me@suuperzrax.com

The big plus is that you now can move more of the apps to a card. It still
doesn't work well with devices with more than one card, though -- it will
only check *one* of the cards. So if you have an UX40 or UX50, you can't
install to the "Int. Media" virtual storage, unless you always make sure you
remove any real card before hotsyncing. Cause if there's a card inserted,
it won't check the Internal Media for the apps at all. I ended up having to
copy it to both Internal Media *and* all cards I possibly might have
inserted while syncing. If I didn't, the apps would reinstall themselves to
RAM, crashing the device for lack of memory.

The file transfer program bundled with the Premium version is a carrot, but
is WAY less useful than the free SmbMate. It's also a crippled version.

Summa summarum: If you were pleased with 6.008, and don't absolutely need
any of the new features, don't get 7.002.

Regards,
--
*Art
August 31, 2004 2:06:56 AM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:39:43 -0400, "Arthur Hagen"
<art@broomstick.com> waived the right to be silent and professed:

>Summa summarum: If you were pleased with 6.008, and don't absolutely need
>any of the new features, don't get 7.002.

That goes for most software, really.

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
August 31, 2004 2:06:57 AM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:53:06 -0400, Bruno <insert@address.here> waived
the right to be silent and professed:

>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:39:43 -0400, "Arthur Hagen"
><art@broomstick.com> waived the right to be silent and professed:
>

>>Summa summarum: If you were pleased with 6.008, and don't absolutely need
>>any of the new features, don't get 7.002.
>>

>That goes for most software, really.

Heck! Come to think of it, that goes for cars, electronic equipement,
wives or girlfriends, power tools, etc...

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
August 31, 2004 4:06:11 AM

In article <rs97j05diajc6sj2dhnt7pjuoh0ljokl6a@4ax.com>, Bruno
<insert@address.here> writes
>Big improvements? Nav button scrolls by the screenful. And full screen
>view for spreadsheets.

Noted. But I already have these with version 6 on T3 with OS5.

What is new?
--
Neville
Anonymous

Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b9d50f9aab1535898980d@news.frontiernet.net>...
> Usually people only post to whine and complain, I see the lack of posts
> to indicate a good clean release of an already fabulous product.

To post an opposing POV, I installed the trial version of 7.002 last
week, and spent an hour or so this weekend reinstalling 6.008 instead.

I have a Tungsten T2, and only use SheetToGo - I found that the new
toolbar in version 7 took up too much of the screen when in a sheet.
Yes, I know you can minimise it, but you have to do that every time
you enter the sheet, and then unminimise it again when you want to
exit.

It's odd - looking at the screen of DTG6, the toolbar doesn't look
that much smaller, but you do get more of your data shown at once than
with DTG7.

And the claim that DTG7 adds 5-way navigator support - errr, my 5-way
navigator works just fine in SheetToGo 6, so that had me a little
puzzled.

STG7 also felt slower than STG6 to me - albeit not by much.

So my recommendation for anyone using SheetToGo is to stick with
version 6 - I couldn't find anything that version 7 offered me that I
needed.

Now, if they actually fixed SmartChart so it would plot graphs with
more than 100 or so points, *that* would be worth upgrading for...

Simon
August 31, 2004 8:51:46 PM

On 31 Aug 2004 06:24:51 -0700, simon@longnews.freeserve.co.uk waived
the right to be silent and professed:

>Simon Long wrote:
>> It's odd - looking at the screen of DTG6, the toolbar doesn't look
>> that much smaller, but you do get more of your data shown at once
>than
>> with DTG7.
>

>OK, to follow up on my own post, I've just installed DTG7 on the Palm
>Simulator to compare the screen to that of DTG6, and I was wrong. It
>isn't the toolbar which takes up the screen space - it's the scroll
>bars at the right and bottom edges of the data area. These aren't there
>on my version of DTG6, but I can't remember if I turned them off, or if
>they were never there. Five minutes playing with the menus in DTG6 and
>I'm none the wiser - can you get rid of the scrollbars in Sheet To Go
>7? If so, I may decide to upgrade after all...
>
>Simon

Doesn't look like you can remove those scrollbars. They are kind of
redudant when you can page with the nav button.

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 8:55:51 PM

>>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:59:10 +0100, Jim Anderson wrote
>>(in article <MPG.1b9d50f9aab1535898980d@news.frontiernet.net>):
>>
>>> Usually people only post to whine and complain, I see the lack of posts
>>> to indicate a good clean release of an already fabulous product.

Sadly, no support for PalmOS<5, so won't work on a Tungsten W.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

One great new feature in DTG 7.0 that I have noticed:

It accepts MS-Word documents saved from StarOffice 7.0.
September 6, 2004 11:52:50 AM

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 17:07:25 +0200, fm <postmaster@127.0.0.1> waived
the right to be silent and professed:

>One great new feature in DTG 7.0 that I have noticed:
>
>It accepts MS-Word documents saved from StarOffice 7.0.

Yup! It does "native" formats. Which is XML, btw.
--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
!