can't access desktop or printer from laptop anymore

Hi, I am using msft wireless with my desktop and laptop.
My internet network is working fine, I can access the
laptop from my desktop, however now suddenly I cannot
access the desktop or printer from my laptop. I still
have sharing enabled, I get a message saying I don't have
access to get permission from network administrator???
5 answers Last reply
More about access desktop printer laptop anymore

    Are you using XP Pro and a domain?

    win98se on the desktop. They were both communicating fine
    until 6/26. I wonder if an auto-update might have screwed
    things up. The old desktop can dig around in my laptop no
    problem, but now the laptop thinks I don't have permission
    to access the desktop and printer!

    >>Hi, I am using msft wireless with my desktop and
    laptop.
    >>My internet network is working fine, I can access the
    >>laptop from my desktop, however now suddenly I cannot
    >>access the desktop or printer from my laptop. I still
    >>have sharing enabled, I get a message saying I don't
    have
    >>access to get permission from network administrator???
    >>.
    >>
    >.

    workgroup is HOME (is that the same as domain?)

    Domains are only supported in XP Pro. XP Home and 98 only
    use workgroups (unless there is a domain server)

    Three scenarios.

    Check that File and Printer sharing is enabled on the 98
    machine. RIght-mouse click on the Network icon and select
    properties.

    Check the type of sharing -- under 98 you can set it to ask
    a password to access shares. Enable all access, not per
    password.

    Check for a firewall on the desktop (Norton, ZOneAlarm...),
    or WIndows built-in ICF. Disable them. ICF is on the
    Advanced tab of the connection properties.

Routers Laptops Desktops Printers Networking