Bungy's Empire Training Session

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

I will be hosting a newbie training session, based on a
very vanilla setup map, for all newbies to come and ask
whatever questions they may have prior to the start of
PettingZoo4 (tentatively planned to start end of March).
The session will start at ~19:30 (EDT) on Wed Feb 9
(2005), and last about 3 hours or so. My intent here
is to help the relative newbies thru the first ~5+ updates
so as to help keep them off the obvious fodder list.

The goals of this seminar are:
1) Initial commands (how to break and explore
without killing all your mobility).
2) Guidance on where to designate Iron Mines.
3) How to get Civs and UWs into your
mountains or gold mines without killing all of
your mobility.
4) Why is is important to not have your civs get
truncated (this shows up in the power report and
indicates that you are fodder).
5) Why you need to make IRON on update 1.
LCMs and HCMs on update 2. EDU, OIL,
DUST, and initial exploration ships on update
3. TECH on update 4.
6) How to make ships, and improve them so
they are ready to go.
7) How to manage your mobility. If you are
asking yourself why mobility is such an issue
during the first 5 updates, then this training
session is for you.
8) Help new players get a grasp of what
to do and why.

I'd ask that anyone interested to please shoot me an
email that you are interested in such a session, so that
I can prepare accordingly. You are welcome to use
anonymous style names in the session (ie: "Joe",
"Fodder1", etc), as to keep the lawnmowers from
getting an easy ID on you if they happen to *check
in* via the "visitor account". Send email to
empire_bungholio @ verizon.net.

The training seminar will be hosted at:

EMPIREHOST=sheepfarm.game-host.org
EMPIREPORT=6666

It is a "Bring Your Own Beer" policy. Otherwise, ask
whatever questions you got. I'll try my best to provide
some guidance on what I think I'd do. I'm not claiming to
be any grandmaster champion, I'm just trying to offer
guidance to new players to help them get thru the first
5+ updates more efficiently.

-Bungy

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Correction, the training is on MARCH 9th.
(not Feb 9th)

-Bungy

"Bungholio" <empire_bungholioNOSAPM@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I will be hosting a newbie training session, based on a
> very vanilla setup map, for all newbies to come and ask
> whatever questions they may have prior to the start of
> PettingZoo4 (tentatively planned to start end of March).
> The session will start at ~19:30 (EDT) on Wed Feb 9
> (2005), and last about 3 hours or so. My intent here
> is to help the relative newbies thru the first ~5+ updates
> so as to help keep them off the obvious fodder list.
>
> The goals of this seminar are:
> 1) Initial commands (how to break and explore
> without killing all your mobility).
> 2) Guidance on where to designate Iron Mines.
> 3) How to get Civs and UWs into your
> mountains or gold mines without killing all of
> your mobility.
> 4) Why is is important to not have your civs get
> truncated (this shows up in the power report and
> indicates that you are fodder).
> 5) Why you need to make IRON on update 1.
> LCMs and HCMs on update 2. EDU, OIL,
> DUST, and initial exploration ships on update
> 3. TECH on update 4.
> 6) How to make ships, and improve them so
> they are ready to go.
> 7) How to manage your mobility. If you are
> asking yourself why mobility is such an issue
> during the first 5 updates, then this training
> session is for you.
> 8) Help new players get a grasp of what
> to do and why.
>
> I'd ask that anyone interested to please shoot me an
> email that you are interested in such a session, so that
> I can prepare accordingly. You are welcome to use
> anonymous style names in the session (ie: "Joe",
> "Fodder1", etc), as to keep the lawnmowers from
> getting an easy ID on you if they happen to *check
> in* via the "visitor account". Send email to
> empire_bungholio @ verizon.net.
>

> The training seminar will be hosted at:
>
> EMPIREHOST=sheepfarm.game-host.org
> EMPIREPORT=6666
>

> It is a "Bring Your Own Beer" policy. Otherwise, ask
> whatever questions you got. I'll try my best to provide
> some guidance on what I think I'd do. I'm not claiming to
> be any grandmaster champion, I'm just trying to offer
> guidance to new players to help them get thru the first
> 5+ updates more efficiently.
>

> -Bungy

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Reminder: Tonight is the training session.

Bungholio wrote:
> Reminder: Tonight is the training session.
>
> -Bungy

GF must be out of town, eh? ;)

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

It was a successful evening, although I unfortunately only
had 2 students.

One of the students emailed me last week to join up, and
after a short exchange of emails on his experience level, he
said he played a bit back in the early 90's, and he is now
back. I pointed him to the famous template,
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.empire/msg/acc18a5a14299afd?q=clowns+update&hl=en&lr=&rnum=1
which really helped him a lot with the current game. I
expanded quite a bit on it, but this was an excellent starting
point to work off of. Muchos Gracias Senior Overlord.

The other student was a bit more experienced, but still benefited
by the expertise of the Sheep Shagger himself to refine his some-
what-rusty-opening-moves.

To all Newbies, please use the above link. If you need help
with any of it, ask. We are here to help develop players and
expand the player base.

-Bungy

PS: PZ4 is planned to open on April 1st, with the first update on
April 4th (this way everyone should be done travelling from
Easter weekend, and we won't have to mess with daylight-
savings-time).