Windows 7 downgrade to Windows XP

mbeck123

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
I have tried everything to rid my HD of windows 7. I installed my brothers copy on a new build of mine to run some tests and make sure the system was running okay. I did not think that I would have an issue installing windows XP. When I load XP from disc I keep getting an error telling me that I need a real copy of Windows XP. I have a authentic version, I have installed it many times before. I have read that downgrading from Windows 7 can be difficult. Are there any solutions I can try? I have already try installing in on a different partition. Same error. I have tried using the windows 7 install CD to remove windows 7. No luck. I even entered safemode in an attempt to delete WINDOWS and the system told me that they could not find WINDOWS. Any help??

Solution
Well if you want to completely wipe your hard drive, I highly recommend Darik's Boot and Nuke (free/open source military-grade hard drive wiping). Windows XP will not detect any previous operating system or anything

Also use DBAN if you ever sell a computer to completely blow away all of your data with no hope of recovering.

Make sure you back up anything you don't want to lose before doing this; there's no possible way to undo it.

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Well if you want to completely wipe your hard drive, I highly recommend Darik's Boot and Nuke (free/open source military-grade hard drive wiping). Windows XP will not detect any previous operating system or anything

Also use DBAN if you ever sell a computer to completely blow away all of your data with no hope of recovering.

Make sure you back up anything you don't want to lose before doing this; there's no possible way to undo it.

Solution

TechJamaica

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
i use this. it's a free low level format,it wipes any drive.
http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/
click the download installer option, when you are formatting just do a quick wipe and then partition back your drive.

Hi mbeck123

Before using dban on the hard disk do you have the recovery DVD's for 7 in case you want to go back to 7 later ?
(recovery partition may contain Win 7 DVD builder files)

Secondly do you have all the XP drivers for the laptop available now ?
(without Network or Wireless drivers you will need another PC to get them)

Thirdly is your XP a retail disk, Microsoft OEM or a manufacturers OEM version ?

You seem to have got round the problem of lack of SATA/AHCI drivers in XP for modern chipsets

If using DBAN select wipe method that does single pass this will save lot of time.

regards
Mike Barnes

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

Driver support, for one. Some old products may not have upgraded their drivers for Windows 7 (I still have to support a spectrophotometer that doesn't have any drivers for anything newer than '98)

mbeck123

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

Because it's $120 and I already have XP. I do not have Windows 7. I was using a 30 day trial. I've wiped the drive and I'm using XP now. Thanks everyone.