Sign in with
Your question

advise on DVD-RW please

Last response: in Storage
May 30, 2004 9:14:12 AM

let me start by saying that i know nothing about DVD-RW so can someone please give me some advise about buying one.
Iv got lots of films on DVD and I want to make backup copies of them so i can travel with them without worrying about scratching them.
Whats the best one to get.
There is a special offer on one site, Sony DRU-530A 8x DVD±RW OEM for £54 is this a good one
also will the copies play on any normal DVD player
Thanks very much.

More about : advise dvd

May 30, 2004 1:19:23 PM

Hewlett-Packard DVD Writer dvd420i 8x4x12 Internal IDE DVD+/-RW Drive is a better drive more dependable

your also going to need a dvd back-up soft ware to copy the moves (DVD Xtreme)
May 30, 2004 5:48:07 PM

Heres a small amount of information for you to help in what to look for.

Above all you want a burner that definitely has Buffer Underun Protection, that feature is an absolute must, it keeps you from ending up with expensive DVD coasters.

8x is the burn speed for non RW(Rewritable) disks, the RW burn rate is always slower than 8x.

You want an all format burner that covers DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, some will .even burn DVDRAM.

DVDRW either - or + format can be erased and rewritten, DVDR either - or + is a one shot deal you write to it once for a complete burn, or you can append the disk if you're writing it to store Data and you haven't filled the disk all the way up, but once you completely fill up the freespace of a DVDR disk no further writing to that disk is possible, and it cannot be erased.

When purchasing burning media try to match the burn rate, if you have an 8x burner try to find 8x burning DVD disks, an 8x burner will burn 4x and 2x, so if you can't find any locally available 8x media you can use 4x, but it will only burn at 4x, I'm telling you that because the 8x burners are newer to the market than the availability of 8x burning media.

You asked about the disks you burn playing in other players, the DVD-R format disks I've burned have played in every component DVD Player I've tried them in, where as the DVD+R has not, the DVD+R format will not play in my component DVD Player, so I suggest purchasing the DVD-R burning media, and look for special bulk brand name deals, I've used Fuji, Verbatim, and Memorex and all have done great.

I hope this helps you in making your decisions. Ryan

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Rig</A>
Related resources
May 31, 2004 7:38:07 AM

thanks very much for the help.
are there anyother makes of burners worth looking at?
May 31, 2004 8:54:20 AM

NEC

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
May 31, 2004 3:11:58 PM

///thanks very much for the help.
are there anyother makes of burners worth looking at?

You are welcome!
I'm using an Iomega Super DVD Burner and its turned out to be an excellent burner, TDK is also a good burner, for myself Sony would be my absolutely last choice from my previous experience, Sony makes a good product and if you get your hands on a good one from the beginnig you'll think they are great, however my negativity towards Sony, comes from their support, which is bad from my experience, but you won't find that out unless you have a problem that requires you to deal with them.

In purchasing a DVD burner another consideration is the burning software that comes with the burner, some come with Nero Burning ROM which is excellent burning software, I forget which brand it was I saw that came with Nero, but thats a good deal to get it bundled with the burner.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Rig</A>
June 1, 2004 4:58:44 AM

Sony makes good drives, most players work fine with DVD-RW, many don't work with DVD+RW.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 1, 2004 11:55:46 PM

From the compatibility tests I've seen the compatibility is more favourable to +RW than -RW. But -R is definitely more compatilble than +R.

The gap is closing though.

<A HREF="http://www.videohelp.com/dvd" target="_new">Current list from DVDRHELP.COM (now/aka VIDEOHELP.COM)</A> shows 93% DVD-R, 88% DVD+R, and both DVD+RW and DVD-RW tied at 79%. Usually though I've seen the +RW come out ahead by a small margin.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
June 2, 2004 1:10:33 AM

Yeh, I knew that, I was writing carelessly. Thanks for the correction!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 12, 2004 12:14:29 PM

Either the NEC 2500A/2510A or the LiteOn 812S/832S are your best bets. Both great drives, top of the line.

BTW, the Sony DW-U18A is just a a rebadged LiteOn 812S and the Sony DRU-700A is a rebadged LiteOn 832S. They are the same drives and with the proper firmware can be cross flashed either way.

June 12, 2004 9:26:30 PM

You can read my review of the ND-2500A <A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/NEC_ND2500A/index.html" target="_new">Here</A>. Of course I'd rather recommend the newer version, ND-2510A, since it supports dual-layer media.

!