well

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005

I have been told that instead of having to buy another retail version of an
operating system as long as I have the install disk all I have to do is get a
product key through Microsoft for like 50 bucks. How Do I go at doing this I
am looking at getting a product key for Windows Xp Pro 32bit. Thank You

You have been told wrong.
You can get additional licenses, but only slightly under regular price:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.mspx
You may be able to get Windows XP locally cheaper.
OEM is also an option if the limitations are acceptable to you.

Stay away from Kazaa and other unethical sources.
There are no legitimate sources there and you may also get something you did
not count on.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

well wrote:
> I have been told that instead of having to buy another retail version
> of an operating system as long as I have the install disk all I have
> to do is get a product key through Microsoft for like 50 bucks. How
> Do I go at doing this I am looking at getting a product key for
> Windows Xp Pro 32bit. Thank You

If you're talking about a second licence, it's cheaper to purchase it
retail - typically MS will only offer you 10% off *their* retail price - and
you can usually buy it cheaper almost anywhere else.

Alias

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote

> well wrote:
>> I have been told that instead of having to buy another retail version
>> of an operating system as long as I have the install disk all I have
>> to do is get a product key through Microsoft for like 50 bucks. How
>> Do I go at doing this I am looking at getting a product key for
>> Windows Xp Pro 32bit. Thank You
>
> If you're talking about a second licence, it's cheaper to purchase it
> retail - typically MS will only offer you 10% off *their* retail price -
> and you can usually buy it cheaper almost anywhere else.

It's even cheaper to buy an OEM version, being as no hardware has to be
bought with OEMs anymore.

Alias

I think it's $10 bucks, not sure though, but you can download stacks of them
using KaZa (Lite preferably) or something similar.

-Winux P

"well" <well@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been told that instead of having to buy another retail version of an
> operating system as long as I have the install disk all I have to do is
> get a
> product key through Microsoft for like 50 bucks. How Do I go at doing this
> am looking at getting a product key for Windows Xp Pro 32bit. Thank You

Gomer

well wrote:
> I have been told that instead of having to buy another retail version of an
> operating system as long as I have the install disk all I have to do is get a
> product key through Microsoft for like 50 bucks. How Do I go at doing this I
> am looking at getting a product key for Windows Xp Pro 32bit. Thank You

You can download a program that will display your product key of your
copy of WindowsXP. Go to:

http://www.freewarearena.com/html2/index.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=95

You will have to Click on the choices to download them, Belarc (view of
your system information) is on page one and Produkey is on page 2. This
site contains lots of good programs. I use lots of them myself.

While you are at this site, download Belarc Advisor, it will print all
your system detail information in detail, including all the software
packages you have installed. Print it and save it somewhere safe. Do
this periodically if you have changes to your system.
You can get just Belarc at this location.

well wrote:
> I have been told that instead of having to buy another retail version of an
> operating system as long as I have the install disk all I have to do is get a
> product key through Microsoft for like 50 bucks. How Do I go at doing this I
> am looking at getting a product key for Windows Xp Pro 32bit. Thank You

One can buy additional licenses, assuming one already has a retail
license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would if
you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

The OP wasn't asking about licenses but product keys. OEM limitations are
for those stupid enough to adhere to them.

>you may also get something you did not count on.

Like your 2cents Stupider.

-Winux P.

> You have been told wrong.
> You can get additional licenses, but only slightly under regular price:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.mspx
> You may be able to get Windows XP locally cheaper.
> OEM is also an option if the limitations are acceptable to you.
>
> Stay away from Kazaa and other unethical sources.
> There are no legitimate sources there and you may also get something you
> did not count on.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "well" <well@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have been told that instead of having to buy another retail version of
>>an
>> operating system as long as I have the install disk all I have to do is
>> get a
>> product key through Microsoft for like 50 bucks. How Do I go at doing
>> this I
>> am looking at getting a product key for Windows Xp Pro 32bit. Thank You

The OP is most likely looking for an honest source.
If not, you suggestion is appropriate.
Licenses and Product keys go together...at least for those with integrity.

Your suggestion to use Kazaa as well as you continual need to insult show
much of your character.
Your attempt to tie "stupid enough" with the right thing to do displays how
desperate you are to bring others down to your level.
Are you able to contribute without insulting others?
Or are you so insecure that you need to insult others to prove your point?

--

"Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message

> The OP wasn't asking about licenses but product keys. OEM limitations are
> for those stupid enough to adhere to them.
>
>>you may also get something you did not count on.
>
> Like your 2cents Stupider.
>
> -Winux P.

I may be in the gutter, but I am trying to pull you up from the sewer pipes
Stupider.

-Winux P

> The OP is most likely looking for an honest source.
> If not, you suggestion is appropriate.
> Licenses and Product keys go together...at least for those with integrity.
>
> Your suggestion to use Kazaa as well as you continual need to insult show
> much of your character.
> Your attempt to tie "stupid enough" with the right thing to do displays
> how desperate you are to bring others down to your level.
> Are you able to contribute without insulting others?
> Or are you so insecure that you need to insult others to prove your point?
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message
>>
>> The OP wasn't asking about licenses but product keys. OEM limitations are
>> for those stupid enough to adhere to them.
>>
>>>you may also get something you did not count on.
>>
>> Like your 2cents Stupider.
>>
>> -Winux P.

If you crawl around the sewer and gutter, that is your choice, I am not
nearby.
It is clear you have nothing of value to contribute since you need to insult
others to make your point.
Good bye.

--

> I may be in the gutter, but I am trying to pull you up from the sewer
> pipes Stupider.
>
> -Winux P

Yes, yes Stupider <YAWN!> (I'd yawn with my mouth closed but then you would
know how boring you are), you do go on and on. Now go run back to your mummy
Mr. Oedipal.

Goodbye.

-Winux P