Empire News for March, 2005

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EMPIRE NEWS =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= A Wolfpack Empire Publication =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "All the news that fits, we print." =-=-=-=-=-=-=
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Mar, 2005 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

:-: In this edition :-: -----------------------------------------

What's New?
Links/Resources/Getting Started
Games --
Upcoming
Current
Recently ended
The Dig -
Empire News 1 Year Ago
Empire News 10 Years Ago
Clients and Player Tools
Server and Deity Info
From the Editor
Econ Hint(s) of the Month
Anno of the Month

:-: What's New? :-: ---------------------------------------------

:*: International Trade Wars is underway!

:*: Petting Zoo IV is in the works!

:*: Maciek Gajewski announced a new, qt-based, graphical Empire
client project.

:-: Links/Resources/Getting Started :-: -------------------------

Home of Wolfpack Empire: http://www.wolfpackempire.com/
FAQ : http://www.wolfpackempire.com/faq.html
Usenet : news:rec.games.empire
More : http://www.wolfpackempire.com/links.html

:-: New Games :-: -----------------------------------------------
:*: Deities, advertise your games here. Email
empnews04@wolfpackempire.com with the details.

:*: Petting Zoo IV

Doug "Bungy" Bungholio is putting together the next game in the PZ
series, tentatively titled "Whatever Suites You".

Bungy is chronicling "The Making of PZIV" on the official PZ website,
and it's definitely worth checking out. Surf to

http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/bungholio/PZ4-TheMakingOfPZ4.html

Hey Doug, I love the photo journalism :)

:-: Current Games :-: -------------------------------------------

:*: International Trade Wars
Start: 4-Feb-05
Updates: 60 etus every 46 hours
Host/Port: multi.usr.ch / 6665

Pat Loney's latest edition of the Twisted Minds Series, dubbed
International Trade Wars, is underway.

This game perhaps ventures the furthest from the usual Empire stock
game with its transcontinental maritime trade focus. In ITW, the
goal is instead to collect the most Victory Points by seeing your
trade ships safely to distant ports.

Many of the usual commands/units have been disabled/removed. For
example, the assault command has been disabled, transport ships
removed and ship firing ranges on ships have been shortened right
up. The result is that players cannot completely eliminate each
other. All land units have been removed except for a single
artillery unit.

Instead, players aim to build trade ships and sail them as far as
possible to a friendly (NPC) Timbuk2 harbour. There, they declare
"victory" and the ship is magically turned into points, the value
of which depends on how far the ship has sailed from its port of
origin. And just to keep things interesting, players can either
claim positive Victory Points for themselves or negative Victory
Points for other players.

The power chart is irrelevant in this game, instead, players look
to the report report, which tells them exactly how many VPs every
player has earned. As of this writing the standings are:

Tue Mar 8 12:25:33 2005
# name Victory Pts
5 Thistle 114.90
9 beep 84.00
15 Ski 73.20
11 ResPublica 48.56
4 Ragnarook 43.80
1 Industmech 30.50
6 DrunkNDisorder 28.30
14 A.F.K. 19.20
2 Dorsai! 18.60
13 Tortuga 13.20
3 Zergland 3.90
10 Parpara 1.20
16 Phantom 1.00
7 WhiteStar 0.00
8 Luciania 0.00
12 Cactus 0.00
50 Timbuk2 0.00

Mines are not on the endangered species list in this game...

Thu Mar 3 03:44 A.F.K. ship hits a mine twenty times
Thu Mar 3 03:37 A.F.K. ship hits a mine two times
Wed Mar 2 22:43 Parpara ship severely damaged in mine field
Wed Mar 2 21:31 beep ship hits a mine
Wed Mar 2 19:05 A.F.K. ship hits a mine two times

....or naval air combat...

Wed Mar 2 18:00 ResPublica divebombs a ship flying the flag of
A.F.K.
Wed Mar 2 14:38 ResPublica divebombs a ship flying the flag of
A.F.K.
Wed Mar 2 14:33 ResPublica airforce bombs A.F.K. ships four
times
Thu Mar 3 03:40 A.F.K. pilots down DrunkNDisorder planes
Wed Mar 2 14:36 ResPublica victorious in air-to-air combat
against A.F.K.
Wed Mar 2 14:36 A.F.K. victorious in air-to-air combat against
ResPublica
Wed Mar 2 14:15 Tortuga pilots down DrunkNDisorder planes

Pat has recently laid down the conditions for victory -- earn 450
VPs and win by 20 VPs. Thistle is in the lead at the moment with
66, with a 25 point lead over second place beep. Politics and
diplomacy should become very interesting, especially with the
ability for players to sabotage their competitors by subtracting
victory points. An organised consortium of players "in the middle
pack" could really make things difficult for the leaders...

:*: The Changeling Blitz
Restart Cycle: Every day at 7:00 pm US/Eastern (currently 23:00 UTC)
Updates: Enabled at 7:30 pm, 60 ETUs every 10 minutes
Host/Port: blitz.wolfpackempire.com / 6789
Website: http://www.wolfpackempire.com/default.htm

Note that world size and some options change daily. It is up to
players to figure that out each day, but typing `version' helps.
Further surprises are possible, as Changeling runs snapshots from the
latest Wolfpack server development.

:*: The Zebra Blitz
Restart Cycle: Every Sunday at 6:00 pm US/Eastern (currently 22:00
UTC)
Updates: Enabled at 6:30 pm, 48 ETUs every 60 minutes
Host/Port: blitz.wolfpackempire.com / 5678
Website: http://www.wolfpackempire.com/default.htm

:-: Recently Ended Games :-: ------------------------------------

:*: No long term games have ended recently

:-: The Dig :-: ---------------------------------------------

The Dig is compiled from Google's r.g.e. archive at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.empire/about

:*: Empire News 1 Year Ago

About 1 year ago today, naming was an interesting thread of
discussion - naming ships, planes, lands and, yep, even sectors -
and the ROLLOVER_AVAIL concept had just been introduced. Anybody
want to comment retrospectively on that option? Star Wars Empire
I was in full swing, and the biggest game of 2004 - Retro Empire -
was announced. Retro started with 22 players in late March, 2004.
Intro to the Petting Zoo, a.k.a. PZI also ended, won by Doorbell.

Doorbell posted a few bugs^H^H^H^H undocumented features, as well.
Interesting.

:*: Empire News 10 Years Ago

The WWII game got under way, with 30 subscribers. Tech was fixed
at 220 in this thematic World War II game that had good old BB4's
DD2's and SB3's. British Empire II was underway.

The game Nomad ended, won by Ajax and his ally Khazad'ur. Nomad
had 39 players starting on 25-sector islands. By the end of the
game, only 9 viable countries were left standing.

The NightOwl game also ended, won by Kanal. NightOwl empire was
a small game with a world size of 64x32 and 15 brave countries.
The game was running at 48 ETU with 1 update a day. One interesting
feature - the game times were restricted from 9pm to 9am.

:-: Clients and Player Tools :-: --------------------------------

The basic Empire client can be found at
http://www.wolfpackempire.com/clients.html and
source as well as binaries for many platforms.

The latest version of WinACE is 2.4.20. Download it from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winace/

The latest version of PTkEI is 1.18.1. See the PTkEI home page at
http://www.lfmm.org/ptkei/

The latest version of eif is 1.3.4. See the eif home page at
http://www.stack.nl/~marcolz/empire/

The latest version of LAFE is 1.0. Get it from
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/empire-lafe/
or any other Debian mirror.

The latest version of pei is 3.0.1. See the pei home page at
http://empire.tau.ac.il/~romm/emp/

:-: Server and Deity Information :-: ----------------------------

The current Empire server is 4.2.19. Download it from
http://www.wolfpackempire.com/server.html or

:-: From the Editor :-: -----------------------------------------

I'm a little low on editorial comment this month. I think we all are.
Subtracting spam postings, last month was the quietist in over 15
years.

Put up your hand.

Any new players who would like a slow, Newbie game with easy rules?

Anybody not playing and bored and would like to volunteer some of
their fine talents and time on an Empire project?

Anyone playing on the Changeling or Zebra Blitz games?

Any new deities considering running a game?

Anyone ever play Tracy Johnson's HP Empireclassic? What's it like?

Does anyone miss the LOTR series? Put up your hands if you want to
play a LOTR game.

Does anyone miss the StarWars Empire series? Put up your hand if
you want to see a SW Empire game.

Who checks r.g.e. every day (like me)?

Jeff a.k.a. Dexter

:-: Hint of the Month :-: ---------------------------------------
:*: Economic Sanctions

A major war in Empire often involves any number of economic aspects
and considerations. As a player, you should always aim to protect
your economic assets, and destroy your enemy's assets. Here, I
mention a few ways to gain some advantage by attacking your enemy's
economy. Next time, I'll discuss ways of protecting your own assets.

More than anything else, bars are your enemy's most valuable asset.
Try to take them away, either by capturing them or by destroying
them. One trick is to grab them and hold them across an update,
depriving him of the income. Bars are a target worthy of a
significant effort, but don't be too hasty to destroy them, if you
think you can capture them eventually.

When your enemy's cash is short, you can cause some economic hurting
by sending him a hefty repair bill right before an update. Attacking
planes is one common way of doing this, although you can achieve a
good result by attacking sector efficiency. If your enemy has cut
his budget fine, an unexpected invoice for plane or sector repairs
can send him into the red, seriously disrupting his update production
and distribution.

On a longer time scale, air battles can become a war of attrition,
where the cost of repairs can be a method to incur a constant
drain on your enemy's cash and production capacity. Just be careful
not to drain your own cash reserves too far.

Civs are also another good target, especially with nukes. Knock
down your enemy's civ population, as well as the efficiency of the
sectors they're living in, to reduce both his tax income and also
capacity to produce stuff.

Warehouses/harbours are sometimes a juicy target, if you're
complacent enemy has allowed lots of stuff to accumulate there.
A warehouse with a thousand shells and a hundred guns, for example,
is a $4500 target. A single shot from an arty, fort or jhb will
cost your enemy far more than the cost of inflicting the damage.

Just about every tactical move has an economic aspect - improve
your play by learning to evaluate the economic implications and
capitalise on the economic opportunities.

:*: Quiz question:
:*: Last Month's Question: You're in mid invasion and in a real
bind for a few extra mil. How can mil be moved across oceans
without a ship or plane or land unit?

If you've got the cash on hand, and some mobility in the sectors
near your invasion, you can use the demob/enlist commands. Demob
some mil from where you don't need them (this costs you some cash)
and enlist some civs where you need the mil (this costs you some mob).

There are two catches, however. The civs must be loyal to you, or
you can't enlist them. I usually bring along some civs in a cargo
ship or two for this very purpose. Also, the target sector must have
an efficiency of at least 60%.

:*: This Month's Question: You're moving some cms from sector A to
sector B and the best path is not obvious. How can you work out
the best path from A to B without moving anything?

:-: Anno of the Month :-: ---------------------------------------

Deities, send nominations for Anno of the Month to
empnews04@wolfpackempire.com

:*: This month's award goes to Overlord and beep, playing in
International Trade Wars. Bungy gets an honourable mention for
posting the ITW drinks menu.

> Announcement from Overlord, (#0) dated Wed Mar 2 19:05:48 2005
A belated congratulations to beep for being the 1st player
to break the 40 VP barrier. As a reward, we pooled some
funds together and were are going to send over a couple
of 120 kg prostitutes. Sorry about that units 'anomoly'. When
I filled out the form, I didn't realize it was one of those
European forms.

Ummm, and if two portly men with Dutch accents knock at your
back door, kinda remember that I filled that portion of the
request form in incorrectly too.

> Announcement from beep, (#9) dated Thu Mar 3 06:23:55 2005
well, i must say that pietr was quite nice and gave an excellent
neck and shoulder massage, but jan was a bit of tool who tended to
get prissy if he felt he wasn't the center of attention. roverlord
should demand half his money back.

> Announcement from Overlord, (#0) dated Thu Mar 3 14:17:00 2005
Re: Refund for jan

That's okay, I tokk it as a tax write-off. (I also paid
them in Canadian dollars. so it wasn't like it was real money.)

Hmmm, maybe I'll send Jan over to Barsoom

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
= The Empire News is a publication of Wolfpack Empire, bringing =
= you the best in Empire since 1996. If you would like to add =
= content (new games, games ending, new web sites, hints, =
= Anno of the Month submissions, etc.) to the next edition of =
= the Empire News, please contact the editor at =
= empnews04@wolfpackempire.com =
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EMPIRE NEWS =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= A Wolfshack Empire Publication =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "All the news that's fit to print." =-=-=-=-=-=-=
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Apr, 2005 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

:-: In this edition :-: -----------------------------------------

What's New?
Links/Resources/Getting Started
Games --
Upcoming
Current
Recently ended
Clients and Player Tools
Server and Deity Info
Anno of the Month

:-: What's New? :-: ---------------------------------------------

:*: Version 4.1.20 released

Wolpack announced the release of the latest version of the Empire
server code. After many years, the Wolfpack development team has
breathed a collective sigh of relief as the very last of the long
list bugs have been fixed.

"It's been a big project, but the server code is finally perfect."
said lead developer Markus Armbruster. "There should be no further
need for fixes and changes."

The last and biggest change on the 4.1.20 list of changes is the
removal of the "econfig" configuration file. "It's been a constant
source of problems in the server source," said Markus "and by
hardwiring the usual econfig parameters into the code, we can avoid
future bugs and problems."

The final set of econfig parameters was determined by a committee of
experienced deities. "Most are familiar," said Markus, "60 etu's per
update, for example." See the Wolfpack website for the final Empire
econfig. For example, the set options now look like this:

Options enabled in this game:
ALL_BLEED, BIG_CITY, BRIDGETOWERS, DEFENSE_INFRA, EASY_BRIDGES,
FALLOUT, FUEL, GODNEWS, GO_RENEW, LANDSPIES, LOANS, MARKET, MOB_ACCESS,
NOMOBCOST, PINPOINTMISSILE, SAIL, SHIPNAMES, SHOWPLANE, RES_POP,
TRADESHIPS, UPDATESCHED

Options disabled in this game:
BLITZ, DEMANDUPDATE, DRNUKE, GUINEA_PIGS, HIDDEN, INTERDICT_ATT,
LOSE_CONTACT, NEUTRON, NO_FORT_FIRE, NO_HCMS, NO_LCMS, NO_PLAGUE,
NO_OIL, NOFOOD, NONUKES, SLOW_WAR, SNEAK_ATTACK, SUPER_BARS, TECH_POP,
TREATIES

:*: Empire Survivor started

See below.

:*: Petting Zoo IV cancelled

See below.

:*: Microsoft buys out Empire - Geoff Cashman retires, Wolfpack
dissolves

Microsoft Corp., in a bold move to improve the oft-criticized
lacklustre game play in their Age of Empire series of games, has
bought out the rights to the Empire game from its original founders,
Peter S. Langston and Ben Norton. The deal is reportedly worth
around $25,000. Microsoft has not made any comment on its plans
for the Wolfpack Empire source.

Wolpack members scrambled to block the move, with little success.
While Langston and Norton sold only an early version of the code,
ownership of that code gives Microsoft rights to use subsequent
versions. What's more worrisome is that Microsoft is the possibility
that the software giant might try to block further development
by the Wolfpack team.

Sadly, Geoff Cashman has privately announced his retirement as
head of the Wolfpack team, and many of the Wolfpack team are
considering following his lead. Stay tuned for a forthcoming
announcement on rec.games.empire.

:-: Links/Resources/Getting Started :-: -------------------------

Home of Wolfpack Empire: http://www.wolfpackempire.com/
FAQ : http://www.wolfpackempire.com/faq.html
Usenet : news:rec.games.empire
More : http://www.wolfpackempire.com/links.html

:-: New Games :-: -----------------------------------------------
:*: Deities, advertise your games here. Email
empnews04@wolfpackempire.com with the details.

No new games have been announced.

:-: Current Games :-: -------------------------------------------

:*: Empire Survivor started

Dynamic Deity Duo Jeff Cotter and Ron Koenderink's game "Empire
Survivor" has started. Over 100 players from eastern Australia
and southern Canada signed on and broke sanctuary two weeks ago.
Dubbed "Empire Survivor" because the game is limited to 40 updates
AND, after the 5th update, the bottom two countries on the power
chart will be sunk - all sectors and units are removed by the deities.

The game has seen 9 updates, and 10 countries have been removed.
DrZog and BSG75, who failed to break, went first. Newbies mouse
and Ghrouid, followed by Ska_Bros and chunder, and then EatMyDust
and 2Up. Today, Toobig and Ocker, were the first of the players
who tried, but failed to stay off the bottom. Sorry boys, better
luck next time.

:-: Recently Ended Games :-: ------------------------------------

:*: Petting Zoo IV cancelled

Doug has fallen ill with a severe case of Ovine Progressive
Pneumonia and has to cancel PZIV. Doug is expected to recover,
but not in time to get PZIV running. Get well, Doug.

In other news, an outbreak of Respiratory Pneumonia threatens
sheep in eastern Maryland.

:-: Clients and Player Tools :-: --------------------------------

The basic Empire client can be found at
http://www.wolfpackempire.com/clients.html and
source as well as binaries for many platforms.

The latest version of WinACE is 2.4.20. Download it from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winace/

The latest version of PTkEI is 1.18.1. See the PTkEI home page at
http://www.lfmm.org/ptkei/

The latest version of eif is 1.3.4. See the eif home page at
http://www.stack.nl/~marcolz/empire/

The latest version of LAFE is 1.0. Get it from
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/empire-lafe/
or any other Debian mirror.

The latest version of pei is 3.0.1. See the pei home page at
http://empire.tau.ac.il/~romm/emp/

:-: Server and Deity Information :-: ----------------------------

The current Empire server is 4.2.20. Download it from
http://www.wolfpackempire.com/server.html or

:-: Anno of the Month :-: ---------------------------------------

Deities, send nominations for Anno of the Month to
empnews04@wolfpackempire.com

> Announcement from Dexter, (#0) dated Fri Apr 01 00:35:26 2005

For those of you who've gotten this far and haven't worked out the
relationship between today's date and the incredulity of this issue
of the Empire News, I hope you're next to me in the next long-term
game of Empire.

Happy April Fool's Day

Jeff
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
= The Empire News is a publication of Wolfpack Empire, bringing =
= you the best in Empire since 1996. If you would like to add =
= content (new games, games ending, new web sites, hints, =
= Anno of the Month submissions, etc.) to the next edition of =
= the Empire News, please contact the editor at =
= empnews04@wolfpackempire.com =
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire,soc.history.war.misc (More info?)

Dexter wrote:
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EMPIRE NEWS =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= A Wolfshack Empire Publication =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "All the news that's fit to print." =-=-=-=-=-=-=
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Apr 1, 2005 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I had a strange experience today where my empire experience kicked in
(this one's not a joke though)

A burglar broke in the house as there was no car in the garage and I
stupidly neglected to bring in the newspaper from the driveway before I
went to sleep, so he must have thought noone was home. I drowsily heard
footsteps coming up the stairs, then came fully awake when he kicked in
the door. When he saw me he shouted and raised his arms as if to
strike, but somehow I knew he was bluffing and was getting ready to
fight back, but he turned and ran down the stairs and quickly drove
away and made his escape. I guess I'm so big and ugly that I must have
scared him more than he scared me. My empire training of many years of
getting attacked at 3am must have kicked in, as I didn't experience any
fear at all, just prepared to fight back. I guess what Nietzche said is
true, I have spent so many years fighting against monsters that I have
become one myself :)

We really need a national biometric identity database to catch these
guys (this guy was Hispanic). Even supporters of illegal immigration
admit we have more than 10 million illegal immigrants in the country,
but that is a low figure, we seem to have 10 million in California
alone. Most of them are doing the low wage jobs that US citizens don't
want anyway, so we need a system that doesn't deport illegals who are
otherwise committing no crimes and are doing necessary work, as the
economy at this point is dependent on them, especially farmworkers and
unskilled industrial workers.

The best way I have thought of is to have a national biometric identity
database, where the police and other government agencies can use
portable fingerprinting units to take fingerprints (and other biometric
data in future as the technology becomes available). It would only take
a few seconds to check that info from the field against the database,
and if there were no holds that had been placed then just take their
personal info and let them go, as long as their story was consistent
with the info in the database. That way the illegal farmworkers who are
otherwise doing no harm can continue working, it is a waste of time to
deport them anyway. But the criminals will eventually be weeded out of
society, by traffic stops and traffic checks mainly.

That way we don't need to go through the hassle of issuing national
identity cards, but can gradually build up the database through the
info that is obtained when these characters come in contact with law
enforcement and other government agencies. The amount of information
required is tiny compared to what Google and other private companies
already have and handle at lighting speed, I don't see why the task
couldn't be contracted out to one of those private companies, since if
the government tries to do it on their own it will take years or
decades and they probably won't ever finish or get it done right.

Actually it should probably be expanded into an every growing worldwide
database, and the government could keep feeding new information from
other databases into it over time. That way both criminals and
terrorists would be gradually weeded out from the population, killing
two birds with one stone.

Akorps@aol.com wrote:
> Dexter wrote:
>
>>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EMPIRE NEWS =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= A Wolfshack Empire Publication =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "All the news that's fit to print." =-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Apr 1, 2005 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>

> I had a strange experience today where my empire experience kicked in
> (this one's not a joke though)
>
> A burglar broke in the house as there was no car in the garage and I
> stupidly neglected to bring in the newspaper from the driveway before I
> went to sleep, so he must have thought noone was home. I drowsily heard
> footsteps coming up the stairs, then came fully awake when he kicked in
> the door. When he saw me he shouted and raised his arms as if to
> strike, but somehow I knew he was bluffing and was getting ready to
> fight back, but he turned and ran down the stairs and quickly drove
> away and made his escape. I guess I'm so big and ugly that I must have
> scared him more than he scared me. My empire training of many years of
> getting attacked at 3am must have kicked in, as I didn't experience any
> fear at all, just prepared to fight back. I guess what Nietzche said is
> true, I have spent so many years fighting against monsters that I have
> become one myself :)
>
> We really need a national biometric identity database to catch these
> guys (this guy was Hispanic).

no we don't, conceal and carry would take care of a lot of these problems

> The best way I have thought of is to have a national biometric identity
> database, where the police and other government agencies can use
> portable fingerprinting units to take fingerprints (and other biometric
> data in future as the technology becomes available).

what a treat! National database, count me out, can I be counted out?
No, I will be in the f***ing database...

> Actually it should probably be expanded into an every growing worldwide
> database, and the government could keep feeding new information from
> other databases into it over time. That way both criminals and
> terrorists would be gradually weeded out from the population, killing
> two birds with one stone.

and who is going to pay for all this?

DE

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire,soc.history.war.misc (More info?)

Another option is just to require ex-cons to carry or wear an
electronic tracking device for a number of years after they leave
prison, say until age 50 when they are past the prime criminal years,
so that when a burglary or murder is committed, the police will always
know which ex-cons were in the area at the time. Our prisons aren't
working, in effect they are post-graduate schools for criminals, where
the cons learn from other cons how to improve their criminal technique.
Most of the ex-cons resume their criminal activities once they get back
on the outside, and with a higher level of technique.

New cars sold in USA should be required by law to have electronic
transponders built in, both so they can be tracked automatically and
recovered when stolen, and so the police will know which cars were in
an area when a violent crime or property crime was committed. Also the
cars registered to ex-cons should be required by law to have
transponders installed as a condition of their release. Any ex-con
shouldn't be allowed to drive or ride in any vehicle not equipped with
a transponder.