Closed

Blue Screen Error Message

June 27, 2005 8:28:02 AM

Hi All

Just wondering if somebody could help me, im getting a 8e stop error blue
screen and i need the microsoft hotfix just wondering if anyone else has used
this hotfix and if their are any copys out their available

Cheers

Phil
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:49:11 AM

If theres a hotfix available, you can get it from Microsoft (as long as they
figure that you need it). The error reporting dialog should point you to a
web page that has the prerequisites for getting the hotfix. If that doesn't
show up, you can search the MS Knowledge Base for the error message and
follow the instructions there.

"Phil Baliey" wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Just wondering if somebody could help me, im getting a 8e stop error blue
> screen and i need the microsoft hotfix just wondering if anyone else has used
> this hotfix and if their are any copys out their available
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:50:21 PM

Try all the following with existing dump files (Make sure you are set to record minidumps [Small Memory Dumps] - type it in Help to see how) but you can also turn on the
Driver Verifier (type verifier in Start Run and follow the wizard). This is
strict checking of all drivers (so it makes computer slower). This may give
different error messages and pinpoint one driver that is not crashing but
causing another driver to crash. If you can't start after enabling verifier
choose Last Known Good Configuration at the Failed Boot menu (which will
start without verifier).

Get your XP CD and install Windows Support Tools.

Type in start run after installing and rebooting

pstat > "%userprofile%\desktop\driverl­ist.txt"

The last table in this file is a list of loaded drivers. Other things apart
from hardware uses drivers. Post the list of drivers (the last table only -
REPEAT THE LAST TABLE O N L Y ) or match the fault address to the driver.

If you have the XP SP2 Security Update CD (else see
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/­devtools/debugging/symbolpkg.m­spx
)

Install symbols from <CD Drive Letter>:\SUPPORT\SYMBOLS

Download
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/­devtools/debugging/installx86.­mspx

Load the crash dump file into windbg (File - Load Crash Dump and it's in
c:\windows\minidump) and READ WHAT IT SAYS (you may need to tell it where
the symbol files are - it will tell you how), then
Type
!Analyze -v
into Windbg's command line.
(this will hopefully tell you the faulty component)

If a minidump doesn't help use a kernel dump, if that doesn't help create a
full dump.

You can look up specific details here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

If it indicates faulty memory might be the cause you can get a memory tester
here
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/wi­ndiag.asp

If it mentions a core windows system file, meaning it a MS fix is required,
upload a minidump to

http://oca.microsoft.com

Also try typing the main error code in Help while online (ie,
Stop 0x50
and also try in the 8 digit form
stop 0x00000050)
and if there are too many hits use a filename if available. Generally memory
addresses are different for each computer (as each computer has a different
mix of drivers) so parameters that are memory addresses aren't that useful for searching, but NTStatus codes are (plus you can look them up here http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mingw/w32api/incl...).

!