cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I'm building a PC from old parts but have been having serious problems finding a HD that will work.

heres the story behind drive #4 (1st 2 were 1gb and definitely broken, #3 I thought was broken and after OS install it started losing data and crashing).

The drive had win98 installed. I know this drive worked fine in the previous PC it was in. When I install it in this new PC, it is not detected in bios. I have tried a couple different IDE cables. The drive IS powering up.

I then plugged it into the RAID array on this computer. It was detected fine in bios and installed fine in windows 2k. I formatted the drive with NTFS in windows, put it back in the new PC.. still not detected.

Is it possible that this is not a problem with the HD, but instead perhaps the anchient sound, video card, ram, or mobo? The mobo and ram worked fine during their previous use.

thanks for any suggestions.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What motherboard? What hard drive? Did you set hard drive to Auto in BIOS before trying it on the main controller?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

A BIOS flash may solve the problem if one is available for the older M/B, and it fixes a HDD recognizing issue. Also you have to have enough available room on the HDD to successfully install the OP/SYS, you've left out quite a few necessary details to successfully help you.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
ok sorry. The mobo is an abit bx6, hd is western digital WD300 30gb. currently all thats in the system is mobo, celeron 300a cpu, 1 stick pc133, CD drive, and the HD in question.

I took the drive out of the pc and put it in a working PC. I ran fdisk on it, created a new partition, and formatted it with NTFS in windows2000. I then reinstalled it in the system in question. It still was undetectable with jumper as master (same for CD drive though), but both were detected when jumper at Cable Select.

I proceeded to boot from CD and install windows 2000 pro on the HD. install went well except it had problems copying a couple files, but was ok after a retry or two.

Everything seemed to set itself up correctly.

Now that the os was installed, I booted it up for the 1st time fully installed. Now, whenever I try to access the HD (1st time I tried to get to control panel, 2nd 'my computer', etc..), the system immediately freezes.

This problem is pretty much exactly like a problem I was having before with this computer, but I attributed the problem to the HD being broken because I was having problems with it in a different system.. losing data and not being detected etc. now obviously though it looks to be something else, I guess a mobo problem. i'll post after flashing the bios.

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I updated to newest bios.

BX6 BIOS QS
Version: QS Released Date: 2000-03-10

1. Fixes the incorrect capacity issue under Linux.
2. Fixes the incompatibility issue with Windows 2000.

after the bios was flashed, the utility rebooted the computer, and got Checksum error - defaults loaded.

I rebooted and it was gone.

windows loaded fine, but again it froze when I attempted to access control panel.

now i cant even get it to boot of A: I select A as 1st device to boot.. put in the boot disk, the drive is accessed disk read, but then it just skips it and boots from C. this happens even when C is not even in the list to be booted from.

Thats because after you flash a bios, you should always clear the CMOS and rerun setup, reset the date, time, apply setup defaults, and reset all your CMOS settings, save and exit the CMOS, reboot.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
the bios flash was successful as far as I know. The flash program didn't give any errors. The flash program reboot the system after it was finished. that is when I saw the checksum error. after that I turned it off and reset cmos using the cmos jumper.