Error on Startup

Upon startup, I encountered an error message: "Windows Explorer has
encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience."

On clicking "details", a window pops up titled "Error Signature":
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2096 ModName: kernal32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2096 Offset: 0001ddf1

The desktop icons do not load and I only see my mouse cursor... Can't do
anything other than shutdown after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.

This happened after I performed a windows update. Can someone help me?

Malke

niwrad wrote:

> Upon startup, I encountered an error message: "Windows Explorer has
> encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> inconvenience."
>
> On clicking "details", a window pops up titled "Error Signature":
> AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2096 ModName:
> kernal32.dll
> ModVer: 5.1.2600.2096 Offset: 0001ddf1
>
> The desktop icons do not load and I only see my mouse cursor... Can't
> do anything other than shutdown after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
>
> This happened after I performed a windows update. Can someone help me?

Try booting into Last Known Good Configuration. To get to the menu which
will allow that, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the computer is starting
up. Perhaps you downloaded and installed an incompatible driver from
Windows Update instead of only security updates. Never install drivers
from Windows Update.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I've tried that but it doesn't help. I've also ran Norton AntiVirus as well
as AdAware which didn't resolve the issue either.

Any advice on what else I can do?

"Malke" wrote:

> niwrad wrote:
>
> > Upon startup, I encountered an error message: "Windows Explorer has
> > encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> > inconvenience."
> >
> > On clicking "details", a window pops up titled "Error Signature":
> > AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2096 ModName:
> > kernal32.dll
> > ModVer: 5.1.2600.2096 Offset: 0001ddf1
> >
> > The desktop icons do not load and I only see my mouse cursor... Can't
> > do anything other than shutdown after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
> >
> > This happened after I performed a windows update. Can someone help me?
>
> Try booting into Last Known Good Configuration. To get to the menu which
> will allow that, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the computer is starting
> up. Perhaps you downloaded and installed an incompatible driver from
> Windows Update instead of only security updates. Never install drivers
> from Windows Update.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How did you run the Virus programs?
Have you tried starting i safe mode?
Try uninstalling the updates. Go to Add/Remove Programs from your control
panel. I haven't tried it and sorry for not being so specific but I think
it's one of the hot fixes

bob
"niwrad" <niwrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've tried that but it doesn't help. I've also ran Norton AntiVirus as
well
> as AdAware which didn't resolve the issue either.
>
> Any advice on what else I can do?
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > niwrad wrote:
> >
> > > Upon startup, I encountered an error message: "Windows Explorer has
> > > encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> > > inconvenience."
> > >
> > > On clicking "details", a window pops up titled "Error Signature":
> > > AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2096 ModName:
> > > kernal32.dll
> > > ModVer: 5.1.2600.2096 Offset: 0001ddf1
> > >
> > > The desktop icons do not load and I only see my mouse cursor... Can't
> > > do anything other than shutdown after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
> > >
> > > This happened after I performed a windows update. Can someone help me?
> >
> > Try booting into Last Known Good Configuration. To get to the menu which
> > will allow that, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the computer is starting
> > up. Perhaps you downloaded and installed an incompatible driver from
> > Windows Update instead of only security updates. Never install drivers
> > from Windows Update.
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

From the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), I managed to select tasks to run
thereby executing the 2 programs.

I've tried starting in safe mode but encountered the same problem.

I am unable to access Add/Remove Programs and Control Panel as I couldn't
locate them from the Task Manager. The Taskbar and icons on the desktop are
not available. Is there any other way of locating the Add/Remove Programs or
Control Panel?

"bob" wrote:

> How did you run the Virus programs?
> Have you tried starting i safe mode?
> Try uninstalling the updates. Go to Add/Remove Programs from your control
> panel. I haven't tried it and sorry for not being so specific but I think
> it's one of the hot fixes
>
> bob
> "niwrad" <niwrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've tried that but it doesn't help. I've also ran Norton AntiVirus as
> well
> > as AdAware which didn't resolve the issue either.
> >
> > Any advice on what else I can do?

> > > Try booting into Last Known Good Configuration. To get to the menu which
> > > will allow that, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the computer is starting
> > > up. Perhaps you downloaded and installed an incompatible driver from
> > > Windows Update instead of only security updates. Never install drivers
> > > from Windows Update.
> > >
> > > Malke
> > > --
> > > Elephant Boy Computers
> > > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > > "Don't Panic!"
> > > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Run a new task called 'control panel'.
From there you can access System Properties. You can restore back to a
previous time to when your computer was okay. Hopefully that'll clear it up.

> From the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), I managed to select tasks to run
> thereby executing the 2 programs.
>
> I've tried starting in safe mode but encountered the same problem.
>
> I am unable to access Add/Remove Programs and Control Panel as I couldn't
> locate them from the Task Manager. The Taskbar and icons on the desktop
are
> not available. Is there any other way of locating the Add/Remove Programs
or
> Control Panel?
>
> "bob" wrote:
>
> > How did you run the Virus programs?
> > Have you tried starting i safe mode?
> > Try uninstalling the updates. Go to Add/Remove Programs from your
control
> > panel. I haven't tried it and sorry for not being so specific but I
think
> > it's one of the hot fixes
> >
> > bob
> > "niwrad" <niwrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I've tried that but it doesn't help. I've also ran Norton AntiVirus as
> > well
> > > as AdAware which didn't resolve the issue either.
> > >
> > > Any advice on what else I can do?

Can't

I cannot run control panel as explorer.exe is not operational but i managed
to execute System Restore (after searching in \system32). I've restored it to
the point when things were working ok but the same problem remains.

Is there any other things i can try?