The last two days I've had to reboot my PC numerous times before it will
start up. I keep receiving an error "Strike F1 to retry boot and F2 for set
up utility." F1 doesn't work, same message keeps coming up. I've tried F2
and all the configuration seems to be correct. Many reboots both soft and
hard finally get the PC to continue it's start up. I have Norton Anti-Virus
and Spy Sweeper on my PC and they are usually reliable. I haven't installed
any new software or hardware.

I am running XP home on a Dell Dimension 4300 which is 4 years old. I have
a firewall installed.

I'm besides myself and don't know what to do to get rid of this problem. Is
my hard driving going or do I have a virus? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Sounds very like a hardware failure, not a virus. If your pc is 4 years old
Dell may not support/repair it. You need a local pc repairer to examine it,
but you may be better off getting a new one.

"Weezie" <Weezie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The last two days I've had to reboot my PC numerous times before it will
> start up. I keep receiving an error "Strike F1 to retry boot and F2 for
> set
> up utility." F1 doesn't work, same message keeps coming up. I've tried
> F2
> and all the configuration seems to be correct. Many reboots both soft and
> hard finally get the PC to continue it's start up. I have Norton
> Anti-Virus
> and Spy Sweeper on my PC and they are usually reliable. I haven't
> installed
> any new software or hardware.
>
> I am running XP home on a Dell Dimension 4300 which is 4 years old. I
> have
> a firewall installed.
>
> I'm besides myself and don't know what to do to get rid of this problem.
> Is
> my hard driving going or do I have a virus? Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

This could be just a simple problem where the BIOS/CMOS battery is weak.

"Alan C" <nospam@noisp.com> wrote in message
> Sounds very like a hardware failure, not a virus. If your pc is 4 years
> old Dell may not support/repair it. You need a local pc repairer to
> examine it, but you may be better off getting a new one.
>
> "Weezie" <Weezie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The last two days I've had to reboot my PC numerous times before it will
>> start up. I keep receiving an error "Strike F1 to retry boot and F2 for
>> set
>> up utility." F1 doesn't work, same message keeps coming up. I've tried
>> F2
>> and all the configuration seems to be correct. Many reboots both soft
>> and
>> hard finally get the PC to continue it's start up. I have Norton
>> Anti-Virus
>> and Spy Sweeper on my PC and they are usually reliable. I haven't
>> installed
>> any new software or hardware.
>>
>> I am running XP home on a Dell Dimension 4300 which is 4 years old. I
>> have
>> a firewall installed.
>>
>> I'm besides myself and don't know what to do to get rid of this problem.
>> Is
>> my hard driving going or do I have a virus? Any suggestions would be
>> appreciated.

We will probably call the "Geek" squad as I no longer have any warranty with
Dell but the Desktop was expensive and I don't think after 4 years I need to
invest in a new one. At least I hope not but will find out soon enough.

I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to resolve this short
of calling computer support out to my house.

"Alan C" wrote:

> Sounds very like a hardware failure, not a virus. If your pc is 4 years old
> Dell may not support/repair it. You need a local pc repairer to examine it,
> but you may be better off getting a new one.
>
> "Weezie" <Weezie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The last two days I've had to reboot my PC numerous times before it will
> > start up. I keep receiving an error "Strike F1 to retry boot and F2 for
> > set
> > up utility." F1 doesn't work, same message keeps coming up. I've tried
> > F2
> > and all the configuration seems to be correct. Many reboots both soft and
> > hard finally get the PC to continue it's start up. I have Norton
> > Anti-Virus
> > and Spy Sweeper on my PC and they are usually reliable. I haven't
> > installed
> > any new software or hardware.
> >
> > I am running XP home on a Dell Dimension 4300 which is 4 years old. I
> > have
> > a firewall installed.
> >
> > I'm besides myself and don't know what to do to get rid of this problem.
> > Is
> > my hard driving going or do I have a virus? Any suggestions would be
> > appreciated.

That's my first impression as well.

> This could be just a simple problem where the BIOS/CMOS battery is weak.
>

> "Alan C" <nospam@noisp.com> wrote in message
> > Sounds very like a hardware failure, not a virus. If your pc is 4 years
> > old Dell may not support/repair it. You need a local pc repairer to
> > examine it, but you may be better off getting a new one.
> >
> > "Weezie" <Weezie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> The last two days I've had to reboot my PC numerous times before it
will
> >> start up. I keep receiving an error "Strike F1 to retry boot and F2
for
> >> set
> >> up utility." F1 doesn't work, same message keeps coming up. I've
tried
> >> F2
> >> and all the configuration seems to be correct. Many reboots both soft
> >> and
> >> hard finally get the PC to continue it's start up. I have Norton
> >> Anti-Virus
> >> and Spy Sweeper on my PC and they are usually reliable. I haven't
> >> installed
> >> any new software or hardware.
> >>
> >> I am running XP home on a Dell Dimension 4300 which is 4 years old. I
> >> have
> >> a firewall installed.
> >>
> >> I'm besides myself and don't know what to do to get rid of this
problem.
> >> Is
> >> my hard driving going or do I have a virus? Any suggestions would be
> >> appreciated.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 05:48:04 -0700, Weezie
<Weezie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The last two days I've had to reboot my PC numerous times before it will
>start up. I keep receiving an error "Strike F1 to retry boot and F2 for set
>up utility." F1 doesn't work, same message keeps coming up. I've tried F2
>and all the configuration seems to be correct. Many reboots both soft and
>hard finally get the PC to continue it's start up. I have Norton Anti-Virus
>and Spy Sweeper on my PC and they are usually reliable. I haven't installed
>any new software or hardware.
>
>I am running XP home on a Dell Dimension 4300 which is 4 years old. I have
>a firewall installed.
>
>I'm besides myself and don't know what to do to get rid of this problem. Is
>my hard driving going or do I have a virus? Any suggestions would be
>appreciated.

This is the wrong place to ask this. Your problem is ocurring prior
to WinXP even being referenced, let alone starting to boot. It is
occuring during POST, which is why you are getting the BIOS errors.

Hasn't it told you a reason? Either with text or beeps?

"Weezie" <Weezie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC1CBF62-3792-427E-BD2D-C1670C8FF580@microsoft.com...
> We will probably call the "Geek" squad as I no longer have any warranty with
> Dell but the Desktop was expensive and I don't think after 4 years I need to
> invest in a new one. At least I hope not but will find out soon enough.
>
> I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to resolve this short
> of calling computer support out to my house.
>
> "Alan C" wrote:
>
>> Sounds very like a hardware failure, not a virus. If your pc is 4 years old
>> Dell may not support/repair it. You need a local pc repairer to examine it,
>> but you may be better off getting a new one.
>>
>> "Weezie" <Weezie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The last two days I've had to reboot my PC numerous times before it will
>> > start up. I keep receiving an error "Strike F1 to retry boot and F2 for
>> > set
>> > up utility." F1 doesn't work, same message keeps coming up. I've tried
>> > F2
>> > and all the configuration seems to be correct. Many reboots both soft and
>> > hard finally get the PC to continue it's start up. I have Norton
>> > Anti-Virus
>> > and Spy Sweeper on my PC and they are usually reliable. I haven't
>> > installed
>> > any new software or hardware.
>> >
>> > I am running XP home on a Dell Dimension 4300 which is 4 years old. I
>> > have
>> > a firewall installed.
>> >
>> > I'm besides myself and don't know what to do to get rid of this problem.
>> > Is
>> > my hard driving going or do I have a virus? Any suggestions would be
>> > appreciated.

It's not mine. No current BIOS needs settings to boot. Everything is autodetected.

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message news:Ocm1BByeFHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> That's my first impression as well.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> This could be just a simple problem where the BIOS/CMOS battery is weak.
>>

>> "Alan C" <nospam@noisp.com> wrote in message
>> > Sounds very like a hardware failure, not a virus. If your pc is 4 years
>> > old Dell may not support/repair it. You need a local pc repairer to
>> > examine it, but you may be better off getting a new one.
>> >
>> > "Weezie" <Weezie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> will
> for
> tried

> problem.

Gazza

Loose interface cables is another common problem. Open the PC and check the
cables.

"David Candy" wrote:

> It's not mine. No current BIOS needs settings to boot. Everything is autodetected.

> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message news:Ocm1BByeFHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > That's my first impression as well.
> >
> > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> >> This could be just a simple problem where the BIOS/CMOS battery is weak.
> >>

> >> "Alan C" <nospam@noisp.com> wrote in message

> > will
> > for
> > tried

> > problem.

No error messages, other than the F1/F2 prompted. When you say interface
cables, can you be more specific? Do you mean power cord, peripheral device
cables? Secondly two people suggested BIOS/CMOS battery could be weak. Can
I buy one and replace it myself?

This is not a laptop computer but I have no problem detaching the tower and
bringing it someplace to get the battery replaced.

Gazza

Interface cables are the grey internal cables that link the MOBO with the
rest of the PC (such as HDD, disk drives etc). Sometimes they work loose and
just need pushing in. No need to detach them, just check to secure them.

The battery is easy to remove. Size of a 2p piece (in the UK). Easy to see
on the Mobo.