Palmtop to use as Bookreader

Tags:
August 31, 2004 3:39:24 AM

I'm currently looking for a palmtop I can use to read ebooks on, as I've
gotten tired of reading them off the computer. Format isn't too
important - most of the things I have are HTML and easily converted to
Word or plain text. Though I'm considering a Palm Pilot of some sort
because the books I've bought from Baen can be downloaded in Palm
readable format.

Anyway, it should have a good, clearly readable screen, a long lasting
battery, upwind of 8M (actually I'd prefer 16M at a minimum, and 35M
would be even better), an easy interface with my PC (I can manage WiFi
and UCB, not sure about Bluetooth), and in general be easy to read text
files from (see above). That and not cost *too* much - under $400,
preferably a lot under. I've been looking at things like Tungsten E and
Vx (should any such still exist.) Any suggestions?

--
Kay Shapero
Domain address munged - use earthlink dot net to the right of the at if

More about : palmtop bookreader

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 3:39:25 AM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:39:24 GMT, Kay Shapero
<kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid> wrote:

>I'm currently looking for a palmtop I can use to read ebooks on, as I've
>gotten tired of reading them off the computer. Format isn't too
>important - most of the things I have are HTML and easily converted to
>Word or plain text. Though I'm considering a Palm Pilot of some sort
>because the books I've bought from Baen can be downloaded in Palm
>readable format.
>
>Anyway, it should have a good, clearly readable screen, a long lasting
>battery, upwind of 8M (actually I'd prefer 16M at a minimum, and 35M
>would be even better), an easy interface with my PC (I can manage WiFi
>and UCB, not sure about Bluetooth), and in general be easy to read text
>files from (see above). That and not cost *too* much - under $400,
>preferably a lot under. I've been looking at things like Tungsten E and
>Vx (should any such still exist.) Any suggestions?

Any of the Palm OS units should work for your needs. Between iSilo and
eReader, you should be pretty well set. iSilo works great for .html
and downloading website pages (using iSiloX to convert) as well as in
reading standard Palm DOC formatted ebooks.

http://www.isilo.com/
http://www.isilox.com/

Also, check out the HELP section at MemoWare (www.memoware.com)
regarding formats and readers.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 4:21:00 AM

In article <dve7j0pnq16vpi653am4ri1kunclonadv2@4ax.com>, krewl@invalid.com
wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:39:24 GMT, Kay Shapero
> <kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid> wrote:
>
> >I'm currently looking for a palmtop I can use to read ebooks on, as I've
> >gotten tired of reading them off the computer. Format isn't too
> >important - most of the things I have are HTML and easily converted to
> >Word or plain text. Though I'm considering a Palm Pilot of some sort
> >because the books I've bought from Baen can be downloaded in Palm
> >readable format.
> >
> >Anyway, it should have a good, clearly readable screen, a long lasting
> >battery, upwind of 8M (actually I'd prefer 16M at a minimum, and 35M
> >would be even better), an easy interface with my PC (I can manage WiFi
> >and UCB, not sure about Bluetooth), and in general be easy to read text
> >files from (see above). That and not cost *too* much - under $400,
> >preferably a lot under. I've been looking at things like Tungsten E and
> >Vx (should any such still exist.) Any suggestions?
>
> Any of the Palm OS units should work for your needs. Between iSilo and
> eReader, you should be pretty well set. iSilo works great for .html
> and downloading website pages (using iSiloX to convert) as well as in
> reading standard Palm DOC formatted ebooks.
>
> http://www.isilo.com/
> http://www.isilox.com/
>
> Also, check out the HELP section at MemoWare (www.memoware.com)
> regarding formats and readers.

A second to that. I read eBooks on my Tungsten E, which has a great
display. Power consumption is minimal for such reading.
August 31, 2004 4:21:01 AM

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <dve7j0pnq16vpi653am4ri1kunclonadv2@4ax.com>, krewl@invalid.com
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:39:24 GMT, Kay Shapero
> > <kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > >I'm currently looking for a palmtop I can use to read ebooks on, as
I've
> > >gotten tired of reading them off the computer. Format isn't too
> > >important - most of the things I have are HTML and easily converted to
> > >Word or plain text. Though I'm considering a Palm Pilot of some sort
> > >because the books I've bought from Baen can be downloaded in Palm
> > >readable format.
> > >
> > >Anyway, it should have a good, clearly readable screen, a long lasting
> > >battery, upwind of 8M (actually I'd prefer 16M at a minimum, and 35M
> > >would be even better), an easy interface with my PC (I can manage WiFi
> > >and UCB, not sure about Bluetooth), and in general be easy to read text
> > >files from (see above). That and not cost *too* much - under $400,
> > >preferably a lot under. I've been looking at things like Tungsten E
and
> > >Vx (should any such still exist.) Any suggestions?
> >
> > Any of the Palm OS units should work for your needs. Between iSilo and
> > eReader, you should be pretty well set. iSilo works great for .html
> > and downloading website pages (using iSiloX to convert) as well as in
> > reading standard Palm DOC formatted ebooks.
> >
> > http://www.isilo.com/
> > http://www.isilox.com/
> >
> > Also, check out the HELP section at MemoWare (www.memoware.com)
> > regarding formats and readers.
>
> A second to that. I read eBooks on my Tungsten E, which has a great
> display. Power consumption is minimal for such reading.

Speaking of Memoware, I learned about TomeReader there. They have thousands
of titles available, often in a better format than some of the Palm books.
August 31, 2004 5:18:33 AM

"Kay Shapero" <kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid> wrote in message news:MPG.1b9d592ad7d72ac09896b6@news.west.earthlink.net...
> I'm currently looking for a palmtop I can use to read ebooks on, as I've
> gotten tired of reading them off the computer. Format isn't too
> important - most of the things I have are HTML and easily converted to
> Word or plain text. Though I'm considering a Palm Pilot of some sort
> because the books I've bought from Baen can be downloaded in Palm
> readable format.
>
> Anyway, it should have a good, clearly readable screen, a long lasting
> battery, upwind of 8M (actually I'd prefer 16M at a minimum, and 35M
> would be even better), an easy interface with my PC (I can manage WiFi
> and UCB, not sure about Bluetooth), and in general be easy to read text
> files from (see above). That and not cost *too* much - under $400,
> preferably a lot under. I've been looking at things like Tungsten E and
> Vx (should any such still exist.) Any suggestions?

If you can still find one, then I recommend the Sony Clie TH55. A good
320x480 screen and if all you do is read ebooks in ereader then you should
get around 16 hours of battery life from a single charge, possibly more. It
has WiFi built in. The only problem is that Sony have discontinued it
outside Japan so it could be difficult to get hold of, but if you can find one
then I think that it's the perfect ebook reading machine.

Julian
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 7:14:15 AM

I would suggest you look at a Zodiac from Tapwave. It is a Palm OS device with
a 320 x 480 screen and great battery life. YOu might be able to check one out
at your local Circuit City. $299.00 will set you up with a nice unit for
radign e-books. I understand it also can play a few games :)
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 11:20:01 AM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:39:24 GMT, Kay Shapero
<kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid> wrote:

>I'm currently looking for a palmtop I can use to read ebooks on, as I've
>gotten tired of reading them off the computer. Format isn't too
>important - most of the things I have are HTML and easily converted to
>Word or plain text. Though I'm considering a Palm Pilot of some sort
>because the books I've bought from Baen can be downloaded in Palm
>readable format.
>
>Anyway, it should have a good, clearly readable screen, a long lasting
>battery, upwind of 8M (actually I'd prefer 16M at a minimum, and 35M
>would be even better), an easy interface with my PC (I can manage WiFi
>and UCB, not sure about Bluetooth), and in general be easy to read text
>files from (see above). That and not cost *too* much - under $400,
>preferably a lot under. I've been looking at things like Tungsten E and
>Vx (should any such still exist.) Any suggestions?

Really any OS5 device should be fine. I have a Zire 71 and have read
several books on it. Ereader (was PlamReader) works great and you can
pickup a 512MB SD card for around $50 online right now. I'm currently
reading "Strager in a Strage Land", and listening to "The Old Man in
the Sea" audio book both on my Zire.

Adam M
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 8:54:20 PM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:39:24 GMT, Kay Shapero
<kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid> wrote:

>I'm currently looking for a palmtop I can use to read ebooks on, as I've
>gotten tired of reading them off the computer. Format isn't too
>important - most of the things I have are HTML and easily converted to
>Word or plain text. Though I'm considering a Palm Pilot of some sort
>because the books I've bought from Baen can be downloaded in Palm
>readable format.
>
>Anyway, it should have a good, clearly readable screen, a long lasting
>battery, upwind of 8M (actually I'd prefer 16M at a minimum, and 35M
>would be even better), an easy interface with my PC (I can manage WiFi
>and UCB, not sure about Bluetooth), and in general be easy to read text
>files from (see above). That and not cost *too* much - under $400,
>preferably a lot under. I've been looking at things like Tungsten E and
>Vx (should any such still exist.) Any suggestions?

Piece of cake. Suggest you exclude anything which is not 320x320 or 320x480
screen resolution (which eliminates Treos).

Color is very useful for improving text quality. I read Baen books
regularly, and the jump to color was a big improvement for me.

PalmOne models: Tungsten TE, TC, TW, T3 (latter best).
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?price1=200&price2=&bt...
The T3 is what I got my wife, who is also a voracious consumer of e-books.
She like the 480x320 expanding screen.

Sync, although possible with Bluetooth, is done with the USB cradle, or
when we travel, a USB cable to a laptop.

I use the TW, because I like having a PalmPhone for e-mail and web surfing.
It's only got 16MB, but e-mail and SMS are killer apps for me.

With any modern Palm machine, you can add an SD/MMC card and load it up
with dozens of e-books, and even run programs from it if you fill up main
memory.

Sony's machines are on closeout, but can still be found in local stores as
well as on eBay.

The TH-55 has 480x320, but doesn't use the slider. It does not have the
wide grip space at the bottom, but I liked it just fine.

The Sony UX-50 adds bluetooth and Wifi plus a keyboard in a clamshell
design, very nice.

Lots of other models, including the Tapwave Zodiac, workk with PalmOS
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?price1=100&price2=&bt...
which won't fit in a pocket but has even more screen real estate.

PalmSource.com lists all PalmOS device manufacturers and links to them.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

<yeltrabnhoj@email.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:39:24 GMT, Kay Shapero
> <kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid> wrote:
>
> >I'm currently looking for a palmtop I can use to read ebooks on, as I've
> >gotten tired of reading them off the computer. Format isn't too
> >important - most of the things I have are HTML and easily converted to
> >Word or plain text. Though I'm considering a Palm Pilot of some sort
> >because the books I've bought from Baen can be downloaded in Palm
> >readable format.
> >
> >Anyway, it should have a good, clearly readable screen, a long lasting
> >battery, upwind of 8M (actually I'd prefer 16M at a minimum, and 35M
> >would be even better), an easy interface with my PC (I can manage WiFi
> >and UCB, not sure about Bluetooth), and in general be easy to read text
> >files from (see above). That and not cost *too* much - under $400,
> >preferably a lot under. I've been looking at things like Tungsten E and
> >Vx (should any such still exist.) Any suggestions?
>
> Piece of cake. Suggest you exclude anything which is not 320x320 or
320x480
> screen resolution (which eliminates Treos).

And my Tungsten E. What's up with those resolutions for reading?

> Color is very useful for improving text quality. I read Baen books
> regularly, and the jump to color was a big improvement for me.
>
> PalmOne models: Tungsten TE, TC, TW, T3 (latter best).

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?price1=200&price2=&bt...
> The T3 is what I got my wife, who is also a voracious consumer of e-books.
> She like the 480x320 expanding screen.
>
> Sync, although possible with Bluetooth, is done with the USB cradle, or
> when we travel, a USB cable to a laptop.
>
> I use the TW, because I like having a PalmPhone for e-mail and web
surfing.
> It's only got 16MB, but e-mail and SMS are killer apps for me.
>
> With any modern Palm machine, you can add an SD/MMC card and load it up
> with dozens of e-books, and even run programs from it if you fill up main
> memory.
>
> Sony's machines are on closeout, but can still be found in local stores as
> well as on eBay.
>
> The TH-55 has 480x320, but doesn't use the slider. It does not have the
> wide grip space at the bottom, but I liked it just fine.
>
> The Sony UX-50 adds bluetooth and Wifi plus a keyboard in a clamshell
> design, very nice.
>
> Lots of other models, including the Tapwave Zodiac, workk with PalmOS

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?price1=100&price2=&bt...
> which won't fit in a pocket but has even more screen real estate.
>
> PalmSource.com lists all PalmOS device manufacturers and links to them.
>

> --
> John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
> This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.
> Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct
tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:11:48 PM

"AM_Dragon" <am_dragon@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:39:24 GMT, Kay Shapero
> <kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid> wrote:
>
> >I'm currently looking for a palmtop I can use to read ebooks on, as I've
> >gotten tired of reading them off the computer. Format isn't too
> >important - most of the things I have are HTML and easily converted to
> >Word or plain text. Though I'm considering a Palm Pilot of some sort
> >because the books I've bought from Baen can be downloaded in Palm
> >readable format.
> >
> >Anyway, it should have a good, clearly readable screen, a long lasting
> >battery, upwind of 8M (actually I'd prefer 16M at a minimum, and 35M
> >would be even better), an easy interface with my PC (I can manage WiFi
> >and UCB, not sure about Bluetooth), and in general be easy to read text
> >files from (see above). That and not cost *too* much - under $400,
> >preferably a lot under. I've been looking at things like Tungsten E and
> >Vx (should any such still exist.) Any suggestions?
>
> Really any OS5 device should be fine. I have a Zire 71 and have read
> several books on it. Ereader (was PlamReader) works great and you can
> pickup a 512MB SD card for around $50 online right now. I'm currently
> reading "Strager in a Strage Land", and listening to "The Old Man in
> the Sea" audio book both on my Zire.
>
> Adam M

Actually, ANY Plam OS would be OK. I have several old Visors that are
running 3.5, and they work fine. My Visor Edge is a great ebook reader.
You put CSpotRun on it (a freebie), a bunch of ebooks, and with the long
battery life of the monochrome device, you're good to go for a long time!

Mike
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:11:49 PM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:11:48 GMT, "Mike Lipphardt"
<dontspammlipphardt@ameritech.net> wrote:

>Actually, ANY Plam OS would be OK. I have several old Visors that are
>running 3.5, and they work fine. My Visor Edge is a great ebook reader.
>You put CSpotRun on it (a freebie), a bunch of ebooks, and with the long
>battery life of the monochrome device, you're good to go for a long time!
>
>Mike

Fair enough, I have just found, for myself, it is much easier to read
from my Zire 71 than my old IIIXe. That may just be from the funky
backlight on the IIIXe.

Adam M
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:24:58 PM

Peter Franks <hazard53@mailcan.removethis.com> wrote:
> Speaking of Memoware, I learned about TomeReader there. They have
> thousands of titles available, often in a better format than some of
> the Palm books.

You mean 'TomeRaider' <http://www.tomeraider.com&gt; which is a reference
and e-book reader.

Regards,

Guido
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:27:45 PM

Kay Shapero <kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid> wrote:
> Format isn't too important - most of the things I have are HTML and
> easily converted to Word or plain text.

To avoid loosing HTML formating, you should use either iSilo
<http://www.isilo.com&gt; or Plucker <http://www.plkr.org&gt; to convert the
HTML stuff.

Commercially sold books are mostly available in Mobipocket or E-Reader
(= former Palmreader) encrypted formats.

Regards,

Guido
August 31, 2004 11:16:39 PM

re: HARDWARE to use for reading e-books on a handheld:

I have used Palms for reading for years. Mostly classics from MemoWare.com
though I have purchased a few books also.

My old Vx was great in either very bright light or absolute dark (read in
bed but don't disturb wife) but not very good in dim or moderate light.
Battery life was swell.

I went through a Tungsten and T2 from work. They were fine and the higher
resolution definately made it easier on the eyes. I've always been of mixed
feeling about the slider and used a software hack to avoid ever opening it.

I now use a Tungsten E and the improved transreflective screen is a joy. It
is usable with the backlight turned all the way down in almost any light.
Direct sunlight is not a lot of fun, but it is still readable. I use an EB
flip case with belt hook for the ultimate in geekdom. My only qualm is
battery life. I've never actually run it down to nothing, but heavy reading
(more than an hour a day) drains it low enough that I feel I have to
recharge each night. I've thought about the Sony 55 but don't want to give
up my SD card encyclopedia and dictionary. The Tapwave would be a strong
contender considering it's great battery life and large screen. I'm not
sure about the size, however. After a Vx and E, I really like a THIN
device.

Have fun, no matter which hardware you choose it'll be great! There is so
much available to read.

Everett (Long Beach, CA)
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 1:56:20 AM

In article <dve7j0pnq16vpi653am4ri1kunclonadv2@4ax.com>,
krewl@invalid.com says...

> Any of the Palm OS units should work for your needs. Between iSilo and
> eReader, you should be pretty well set. iSilo works great for .html
> and downloading website pages (using iSiloX to convert) as well as in
> reading standard Palm DOC formatted ebooks.
>
> http://www.isilo.com/
> http://www.isilox.com/
>
> Also, check out the HELP section at MemoWare (www.memoware.com)
> regarding formats and readers.

Thanks! Links checked and stored. Any hardware suggestions? - given
that reading is a continuous use, I want to have the best battery life I
can get, for example.

--
Kay Shapero
Domain address munged - use earthlink dot net to the right of the at if
you want to email me.
http://www.kayshapero.net/
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 2:06:33 AM

Wow, thanks for the info, folks. I shouldn't have much trouble finding
palmtop and software from this.

--
Kay Shapero
Domain address munged - use earthlink dot net to the right of the at if
you want to email me.
http://www.kayshapero.net/
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 5:28:19 AM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:42:20 -0400, "Peter Franks"
<hazard53@mailcan.removethis.com> was understood to have stated the
following:

>What's up with those resolutions for reading?

Works great. I didn't think I'd benefit from anything more than
160x160, but I definitely like 320x320, and 320x480 will do under
extreme circumstances.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 5:51:23 PM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:56:20 GMT
Kay Shapero ( kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid )
wrote

> In article <dve7j0pnq16vpi653am4ri1kunclonadv2@4ax.com>,
> krewl@invalid.com says...
> >
> > Any of the Palm OS units should work for your needs. Between iSilo and
> > eReader, you should be pretty well set. iSilo works great for .html
> > and downloading website pages (using iSiloX to convert) as well as in
> > reading standard Palm DOC formatted ebooks.
> >
> > http://www.isilo.com/
> > http://www.isilox.com/
> >
> > Also, check out the HELP section at MemoWare (www.memoware.com)
> > regarding formats and readers.
> >

> Thanks! Links checked and stored. Any hardware suggestions? - given
> that reading is a continuous use, I want to have the best battery life I
> can get, for example.

If ebooks is your main use, go for an old monochrome model. You'll get
far better battery life. Failing that, any Tungsten or Zire will do. You
should also look at the nice screens on some of the Pocket PCs.

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 3:17:22 AM

In article <10jac8e29j3rjad@corp.supernews.com>,
everettharper_spamnot_@charter.net says...

> I went through a Tungsten and T2 from work. They were fine and the higher
> resolution definately made it easier on the eyes. I've always been of mixed
> feeling about the slider and used a software hack to avoid ever opening it.

"slider"?

--
Kay Shapero
Domain address munged - use earthlink dot net to the right of the at if
you want to email me.
http://www.kayshapero.net/
September 2, 2004 3:17:23 AM

Kay,

The Tx (Tungsten, T2, T3) series slides open and closed. When closed, one
cannot see the Graffiti area and the menu buttons. It's nice to have the
device more compact, but it's a hastle to have to open and close it.

Everett

> In article <10jac8e29j3rjad@corp.supernews.com>,
> everettharper_spamnot_@charter.net says...
>>
>> I went through a Tungsten and T2 from work. They were fine and the
>> higher
>> resolution definately made it easier on the eyes. I've always been of
>> mixed
>> feeling about the slider and used a software hack to avoid ever opening
>> it.
>
> "slider"?
>
> --
> Kay Shapero
> Domain address munged - use earthlink dot net to the right of the at if
> you want to email me.
> http://www.kayshapero.net/
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 6:23:33 AM

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:15:54 -0700, "Everett"
<everettharper_spamnot_@charter.net> was understood to have stated the
following:

>Kay,
>
>The Tx (Tungsten, T2, T3) series slides open and closed. When closed, one
>cannot see the Graffiti area and the menu buttons. It's nice to have the
>device more compact, but it's a hastle to have to open and close it.

The T3 has virtual graffiti; the T2 doesn't? I rarely extend my T3
unless it's for photographs.
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 3:33:08 AM

In article <ta3gj0dhqksoj199aef8kusei7k472gihg@4ax.com>,
LauraBushMurderedHerBoyfriend@troll.org wrote:

>The T3 has virtual graffiti; the T2 doesn't? I rarely extend my T3
>unless it's for photographs.

T2 has virtual graffiti 2, you can easily convert it to graffiti classic.

--
Tao Tong
Anonymous

In article <MPG.1b9ff24a8a59d96798972e@news.clear.net.nz>, Alan Brennan
<the.c@in.the.hat> wrote:

>If ebooks is your main use, go for an old monochrome model. You'll get
>far better battery life. Failing that, any Tungsten or Zire will do. You
>should also look at the nice screens on some of the Pocket PCs.

Actually, monochrome models have low contrast, which is a huge pain for
the eyes. After several hours fixing your eyes on such monochrome models,
you would really appreciate the shiny Tungstens or Zires.

I had a Palm III and Palm IIIx, mainly used for ebooks. Nevertheless, my
aching eyes forced me to upgrade to the more comfortable Tungsten E and
T2.

--
Tao Tong
Anonymous

In article <MPG.1b9ff24a8a59d96798972e@news.clear.net.nz>,
Alan Brennan <the.c@in.the.hat> wrote:
>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:56:20 GMT
>Kay Shapero ( kayshapero@see.my.sig.invalid )
> wrote
>
>> In article <dve7j0pnq16vpi653am4ri1kunclonadv2@4ax.com>,
>> krewl@invalid.com says...
>> >
>> > Any of the Palm OS units should work for your needs. Between iSilo and
>> > eReader, you should be pretty well set. iSilo works great for .html
>> > and downloading website pages (using iSiloX to convert) as well as in
>> > reading standard Palm DOC formatted ebooks.
>> >
>> > http://www.isilo.com/
>> > http://www.isilox.com/
>> >
>> > Also, check out the HELP section at MemoWare (www.memoware.com)
>> > regarding formats and readers.
>> >

>> Thanks! Links checked and stored. Any hardware suggestions? - given
>> that reading is a continuous use, I want to have the best battery life I
>> can get, for example.
>
>If ebooks is your main use, go for an old monochrome model. You'll get
>far better battery life. Failing that, any Tungsten or Zire will do. You
>should also look at the nice screens on some of the Pocket PCs.

The Palm m500 is a great PDA as a bookreader. Battery lasts forever on
recharge, has great formfactor, and with a 256MB SD card a very useable
PDA. The contrast is good enough for no backlight in many lighting situations.
For night reading I like the funky green backlight.

--mikeb
!