Virus ate my pooter!

sykologic

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I have reason to believe there is a nasty virus keeping me from being able to re install windows. I don't have a dvd drive and my biggest flash drive is 1gb. My update service along with windows installer (just a few things not working) are down. Right now I'm thinking my only choice is to install vlite and cut down the iso for use on my 1gb flash drive in a virtual machine.

Is there any way to fix what the viruses have done?

So far I have run a Malwarebytes anti malware full scan in safe mode, along with a Avast! full scan and right now it is doing a full boot time scan (which takes FOREVER)

Solution
I don't have a dvd drive and my biggest flash drive is 1gb.

Well, in that case as far as the computer having any chance of becoming a functioning unit again, find someone who knows more than you to fix it. Like find a neighbor who has a DVD drive or a car to drive you to the mall. That should be an adventure. A 'pooter' is part of the anatomy, not a computer. It's your lucky day.
I don't have a dvd drive and my biggest flash drive is 1gb.

Well, in that case as far as the computer having any chance of becoming a functioning unit again, find someone who knows more than you to fix it. Like find a neighbor who has a DVD drive or a car to drive you to the mall. That should be an adventure. A 'pooter' is part of the anatomy, not a computer. It's your lucky day.

Solution

sykologic

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Well I tried my best with what I got. I can probably get another drive to work long enough to fix it again later tonight. Just a pain, first no sound, then random BSOD-ing (even without my overclock) One thing I could try before getting a drive is slipstreaming the storage drivers so that xp can detect my drives...

I'm just glad my laptop can't get all this (Ubuntu) I'm not a big fan of windows, but when it comes to gaming, I really have no choice.

bsod-soda-machine.jpg

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Have you tried running a Linux live CD?

This is to rule out hardware failure as a reason. If you have overclocked the system previously it is possible that the hardware span has been reduced.

Youy can also run a benchmarking CD to test that the hardware hasn't gone legs up on you:

http://www.inquisitor.ru/about/

or there are plenty out there for linux distros.

sykologic

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Fixed it. I could only get ahold of a MONSTER cd drive....it was slow, and I had to install xp then windows 7, but I was able to rip the windows 7 disk on my laptop, it was a pain. But everything is working. And about the ovecrclock it was at mostly stock volts and the system is less than 2 months old.