HELP, need to reinstall windows

Hi

I am having problems with my computer, and was told to format c drive and
reinstall windows.

I have never done this, what do i do. I have back uped my files/documents
and am ready to wipe it clean and start over again.

Please help, need step by step instructions.

thanks
--
Rose78
9 answers Last reply

    Rose78 wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am having problems with my computer, and was told to format c drive
    > and reinstall windows.
    >
    > I have never done this, what do i do. I have back uped my
    > files/documents and am ready to wipe it clean and start over again.
    >
    > Please help, need step by step instructions.
    >
    > thanks

    Here you go:

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Check here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
    Be prepared for a host of posts telling you that you that doing a clean
    install is a bad idea and "should be the last resort". However you are the
    person who is seated at your computer and only you know whether or not you
    want to spend several hours trying to clean it using a battery of anti virus
    and spyware cleaners or if you want to spend your time reinstalling and
    getting your system setup again. Please be advised that doing a clean
    install is not a bad idea. It is simply a choice that you can make based
    upon your needs.

    If you plan to a do a complete reinstall of Windows XP including applying
    update patches then reinstalling your applications and tweaking your system,
    etc. you are looking a several hours of work. However it doesn't have to be
    setup all at once. You do need to reinstall Windows then install SP2 and new
    Critical Updates. Next ensure your antivirus is installed and updated and
    install your spyware protection. That in itself can take several hours
    depending on your internet connection speed.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Rose78" <Rose78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am having problems with my computer, and was told to format c drive and
    > reinstall windows.
    >
    > I have never done this, what do i do. I have back uped my files/documents
    > and am ready to wipe it clean and start over again.
    >
    > Please help, need step by step instructions.
    >
    > thanks
    > --
    > Rose78

    Hi

    thanks all, i'll look at the information you gave me.

    The reason i need to reinstall xp is that i have been having problems with
    my computer for a few months. (i posted a messages about a month ago here)

    It all started after i installed a web cam, problems started when i wanted
    to attach files/pictures to email and send, as soon as a clicked the browse
    button the screen closed and brought me back to the desktop. I am not able
    to save pictures from attachements or any pic, but can save files/documents.
    I am not always able to get to the Control Panel, and keep getting some error
    messages. I am not able to save web site to my fav tab, even looking in the
    Windows Explorer or My documents and some times clicking on My documents and
    error message would come up and then nothing would happen.

    I did delete the web cam, but this did not do anything, it stayed the same.
    I have been dealing with this a while and had someone look at my computer
    (who knows computers) and he was the one suggested putting XP back on the
    computer, which would swipe everything so i could start again.

    I am very frustrusted and upset with this issue, since i use my
    computer/emails alot it has made things frustrusting and harder to do.

    thanks
    --
    Rose78

    In news:8DD4D42D-6A55-4105-9CB6-69CF3BAEFB9A@microsoft.com,
    Rose78 <Rose78@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I am having problems with my computer, and was told to format c
    > drive
    > and reinstall windows.
    >
    > I have never done this, what do i do. I have back uped my
    > files/documents and am ready to wipe it clean and start over
    > again.
    >
    > Please help, need step by step instructions.

    The first and most important instruction is *not* to do what you
    were told. Formatting and reinstalling is a drastic step. It's
    sometimes the right course, but not often, and should generally
    be done only as a last resort.

    Unfortunately, it's far too often recommended by many people.
    It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
    support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
    It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
    doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
    most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

    But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
    have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
    your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
    application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
    drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
    your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
    you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
    application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
    Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
    everything work the way you like?

    Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
    that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    have failed.

    If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone
    can help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Rose78" <Rose78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am having problems with my computer, and was told to format c drive and
    > reinstall windows.

    That's quite a drastic step to take. Some support centers suggest it when
    they run out of ideas on how to solve a problem. Perhaps before you do that
    you could give the folks here a chance at fixing the problem an easier way?

    What seems to be the problem?

    I have posted a message on here back in April concerning this problem "web
    cam and XP" It wasn't much use, i have discussed this problem with 3 other
    people who knows computers and how to fix them, but all 3 had no idea what
    happened, the last person is the one who told me reinstall xp and start
    again, he actually took a look at my computer and the same problems that were
    happening when i was on it, was happening to him, he was experiencing the
    same things.

    I know it is a drastic step, but i am at the end of my rope, and very
    frustrusted with this issue since i am not able to do things that i need to
    do, if there is anyway then i would gladly do it, but i don't think there is.

    thansk
    --
    Rose78

    In news:47321445-1856-46A6-8B74-BC2007E83FCF@microsoft.com,
    Rose78 <Rose78@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I have posted a message on here back in April concerning this
    > problem
    > "web cam and XP" It wasn't much use, i have discussed this
    > problem
    > with 3 other people who knows computers and how to fix them,
    > but all
    > 3 had no idea what happened, the last person is the one who
    > told me
    > reinstall xp and start again, he actually took a look at my
    > computer
    > and the same problems that were happening when i was on it, was
    > happening to him, he was experiencing the same things.
    >
    > I know it is a drastic step, but i am at the end of my rope,
    > and very
    > frustrusted with this issue since i am not able to do things
    > that i
    > need to do, if there is anyway then i would gladly do it, but i
    > don't
    > think there is.

    OK, if, as you say, you've asked here and you've asked other
    knowledgeable people, then you've already done what I suggested,
    and perhaps reinstalling is right for you.

    To do so, just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot
    order if necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for
    a clean installation (delete the existing partition by pressing
    "D" when prompted, then create a new one).
    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    > I did delete the web cam, but this did not do anything, it stayed the
    same.
    > I have been dealing with this a while and had someone look at my computer
    > (who knows computers) and he was the one suggested putting XP back on the
    > computer, which would swipe everything so i could start again.

    If you do a fresh installation you will also need to re-install any
    applications (do you have the discs?) and you will need to reconfigure your
    internet connection and email settings (do you know what they are?).

    > "Rose78" <Rose78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I did delete the web cam, but this did not do anything, it stayed the
    > same.
    > > I have been dealing with this a while and had someone look at my
    computer
    > > (who knows computers) and he was the one suggested putting XP back on
    the
    > > computer, which would swipe everything so i could start again.
    >
    > If you do a fresh installation you will also need to re-install any
    > applications (do you have the discs?) and you will need to reconfigure
    your
    > internet connection and email settings (do you know what they are?).

    You might try running a Repair Install first before you give up on the
    existing set up...

    Instructions here...
    See "XP Repair install"

Microsoft Windows XP