Connecting MN-710 to MN-500. . .has anyone done it?

Last response: in Networking
July 2, 2004 4:10:50 PM

While I recognize that the MN-710 "should" inherently work with the MN-500,
even though it is 802.11G and the MN-500 is 802.11B, has anyone successfully
seen this combination work reliably?

I have a defective MN-510 and Microsoft says that my only option is a
refund. Recognizing the "flakiness" of wireless hardware and the tendency
for one brand of hardware to only work reliably when the entire network is
the same brand, my tendency is to try to stay with a Microsoft USB adapter.
Unfortunately, now that Microsoft has discontinued their entire wireless
product line, I can't find stock on the MN-510, but I can find stock on the
MN-710.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Did it work reliably?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

More about : connecting 710 500

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 5:53:47 PM

Before anything else, check that your computer can use a
710. The 510 is a 16-bit PCMCIA card, while the 710 is a
32-bit PC-CARD. "Older" computers only support PCMCIA.

July 5, 2004 9:20:23 PM

no the MN-720, MN-520, & MN-120 are all PCMCIA NICs. the MN-710 is a
USB 2.0 NIC that is compatible with USB 1.1. In a USB 1.1 connection it
runs at a slower speed then the 54 Mbps that the 802.11g is capable of.
USB 1.1 is fast enough to support a 802.11b connection.

!