Moving from the Home version to Pro

Good Morning,

I have a Sony Vaio that came with XP Home Edition. It currently has SP 2 on
it.

I'm trying to upgrade this computer with a have a full version of XP Pro SP
1, but I get alert saying that the current version is newer and I must
remove the current if I want to proceed.

I don't particularly want to rebuild from scratch if I can avoid it. Any
suggestions? Anyone think removing SP2 would allow the upgrade to work?

Thanks,
Jeff

Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 slipstreamed,
then upgrade.

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jeff Wogan" wrote:

| Good Morning,
|
| I have a Sony Vaio that came with XP Home Edition. It currently has SP 2 on
| it.
|
| I'm trying to upgrade this computer with a have a full version of XP Pro SP
| 1, but I get alert saying that the current version is newer and I must
| remove the current if I want to proceed.
|
| I don't particularly want to rebuild from scratch if I can avoid it. Any
| suggestions? Anyone think removing SP2 would allow the upgrade to work?
|
| Thanks,
| Jeff

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Jeff Wogan wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> I have a Sony Vaio that came with XP Home Edition. It currently has SP 2 on
> it.
>
> I'm trying to upgrade this computer with a have a full version of XP Pro SP
> 1, but I get alert saying that the current version is newer and I must
> remove the current if I want to proceed.
>
> I don't particularly want to rebuild from scratch if I can avoid it. Any
> suggestions? Anyone think removing SP2 would allow the upgrade to work?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

You have two options:
1. Remove SP2 then upgrade to Pro, then reinstall SP2

2. Better yet create an XP Pro installation CD slipstreamed with SP2.
Then do the upgrade.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
http://unattended.msfn.org/beginner/slipstream.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Yeah! Autostreamer is "very" easy! Creates a standard boot CD image which
can be burnt to a CD (using enhance CD tools like Roxio or Nero)!

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 slipstreamed,
> then upgrade.
>
> Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
> (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:
>
> Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
>
> or
>
> AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
> http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Slipstreaming results in the creation of an ISO image to then be burned
to CD. Just last month you claimed that the creation of an ISO image of
a Windows CD is a violation of the EULA.

> Carey Frisch [MVP] May 16, 11:31 am
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> From: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfri...@nospamgmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:31:07 -0500
> Subject: Re: i would like to burn an iso version of my Win XP Pro Cd with SP2
>
> The Windows XP End-User License Agreement only permits making
> an exact copy of your Windows XP CD. You cannot create an ISO
> image.

I challenged you on that lie and not surprisingly you didn't respond.

You betray your lack of consistency, honesty, and accountability. More
importantly, you lack respect for your peers by refusing to acknowledge
and admit when you are wrong.

Steve

I tried slipstreaming and was able to create and burn the ISO images as
suggested. However my license key is being rejected. Moving to plan B:
unistalling SP 2, install Pro, reinstalling SP2.

Thanks for the advice

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Jeff Wogan wrote:
>
>> Good Morning,
>>
>> I have a Sony Vaio that came with XP Home Edition. It currently has SP 2
>> on it.
>>
>> I'm trying to upgrade this computer with a have a full version of XP Pro
>> SP 1, but I get alert saying that the current version is newer and I must
>> remove the current if I want to proceed.
>>
>> I don't particularly want to rebuild from scratch if I can avoid it. Any
>> suggestions? Anyone think removing SP2 would allow the upgrade to work?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff
>
> You have two options:
> 1. Remove SP2 then upgrade to Pro, then reinstall SP2
>
> 2. Better yet create an XP Pro installation CD slipstreamed with SP2.
> Then do the upgrade.
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
> http://unattended.msfn.org/beginner/slipstream.htm
>

> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Jeff Wogan wrote:

> I tried slipstreaming and was able to create and burn the ISO images as
> suggested. However my license key is being rejected. Moving to plan B:
> unistalling SP 2, install Pro, reinstalling SP2.
>
> Thanks for the advice

Not sure why that happened, but good luck.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

whoops. I have to recant. The slipstream cd is working. I was using the
wrong license key.

Thanks for all your help.