HDisk properties slow except when CD in CDRW, why???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

I have a hard disk partitioned as C:, D: and E:.
Getting Hdisk properties takes 15 seconds when CDRW is empty.
Hdisk properties responds immediately when a CD is present.
CD's read perfectly. Eventlog records event 9 "Atapi timeout"
Re-installed CD(RW)-driver but at no avail.
Found no usefull info at MS and the Web.

Any suggestions how to fix?

TIA,
John7
8 answers Last reply
More about hdisk properties slow cdrw
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Is your hard drive physically connected to the same ide cable as your cd
    burner ? If so I'd try putting it on a seperate ide cable as having them
    both on the same one is not recommended. It will usually result in poor
    hard disk performance.

    hth
    gerryR

    "John7" <NoSp@mm.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a hard disk partitioned as C:, D: and E:.
    > Getting Hdisk properties takes 15 seconds when CDRW is empty.
    > Hdisk properties responds immediately when a CD is present.
    > CD's read perfectly. Eventlog records event 9 "Atapi timeout"
    > Re-installed CD(RW)-driver but at no avail.
    > Found no usefull info at MS and the Web.
    >
    > Any suggestions how to fix?
    >
    > TIA,
    > John7

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    No Gerry, HD and CDRW are on separate controllers.
    Thx anyway.

    "gerryR" <gerrynonospam@nonospam.com> wrote in message
    > Is your hard drive physically connected to the same ide cable as your cd
    > burner ? If so I'd try putting it on a seperate ide cable as having them
    > both on the same one is not recommended. It will usually result in poor
    > hard disk performance.
    >
    > hth
    > gerryR
    >

    > "John7" <NoSp@mm.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a hard disk partitioned as C:, D: and E:.
    > > Getting Hdisk properties takes 15 seconds when CDRW is empty.
    > > Hdisk properties responds immediately when a CD is present.
    > > CD's read perfectly. Eventlog records event 9 "Atapi timeout"
    > > Re-installed CD(RW)-driver but at no avail.
    > > Found no usefull info at MS and the Web.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions how to fix?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > John7

    John7,
    Just throwing out some observations by other folks with this problem.
    Looks like it may be the controller/drivers or the atapi device
    it'self.
    Best,
    Treeman

    Device path: \Ide\IdePort1 - This error may be received if you have 2
    cd-roms on the same ide channel with incorrect jumper settings. In my
    scenario, the cd-rom jumpers were set to cable select however the IDE
    cable did not support it. Configuring the jumpers to master/slave
    corrected this error.

    It is generated when the device cannot initialize within the normal
    time period, or when it stops responding during normal operation. The
    event source is the device driver name. This occurs on one of the
    following three circumstances:
    - a drive or device controller cannot initialize due to hardware
    failure or IRQ conflict. If you have installed new hardware, remove it
    and read the installation manual again.
    - a device reports to the PnP service but does not respond to the OS.
    try rebooting.
    - a removable media on the mass controller that generated the error
    (like backup tape, DLT, or CDROM) is badly written and the drive resets
    so frequently that it doesn't report to the OS.

    --
    Treeman

    Freeman, thx for responding.

    No 2 cd-roms drives on 1 cable. CD-writer set to slave.
    Problem occures with and without harddisk as master on same cable.
    HD and CDRW not set for cable select (but Master / Slave resp.)

    No IRQ-conflicts.

    CD-writer was in system before and still works fine.
    For unknown reasons CD-writer is queried when obtaining Hdisk properties.
    After CD-writer times out after 15 sec, Hdisk properties show up.
    When CD present in writer, Hdisk properties popup rightaway ... ???

    Still puzzled...
    John7

    "Treeman" <Treeman.1rancz@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > John7,
    > Just throwing out some observations by other folks with this problem.
    > Looks like it may be the controller/drivers or the atapi device
    > it'self.
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >
    > Device path: \Ide\IdePort1 - This error may be received if you have 2
    > cd-roms on the same ide channel with incorrect jumper settings. In my
    > scenario, the cd-rom jumpers were set to cable select however the IDE
    > cable did not support it. Configuring the jumpers to master/slave
    > corrected this error.
    >
    > It is generated when the device cannot initialize within the normal
    > time period, or when it stops responding during normal operation. The
    > event source is the device driver name. This occurs on one of the
    > following three circumstances:
    > - a drive or device controller cannot initialize due to hardware
    > failure or IRQ conflict. If you have installed new hardware, remove it
    > and read the installation manual again.
    > - a device reports to the PnP service but does not respond to the OS.
    > try rebooting.
    > - a removable media on the mass controller that generated the error
    > (like backup tape, DLT, or CDROM) is badly written and the drive resets
    > so frequently that it doesn't report to the OS.
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    John7,
    Try this;
    "For unknown reasons CD-writer is queried when obtaining Hdisk
    properties."

    Set up hard drive as master on Ide #1
    Set-up (atapi) CD drive as master on Ide#2

    The hard drive will work better alone on it's own Ide channel without
    optical drives attached.
    The set-up you have may be why the polling takes so long. Anyway, a
    simple cable purchase may well solve this problem. I'd give you the
    extra cable but it won't go through the internet. (grin)
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Hi Treeman,

    I sat there waiting for the IDE cable to arrive at my mailbox but ...
    nothing, :-)

    You might have a point. This problem occurred after a major upgrade.
    Before: 1 HD, 1 CDRW, 1 DVDrom all on separate ports and cables.
    After: 2 HD in RAID1 (mirror) sep. cables, org. HD + CDRW on 1 cable, 1
    DVDrom separate cable.
    I'll give it a try tomorrow and get back here.
    Also tried to flash latest witer firmware but software won't see the drive
    ???
    While the drive works fine. I don't get it... Maybe flash it on different
    PC.
    Chipset drivers might be also causing this (VIA 4-in-1).

    John7

    "Treeman" <Treeman.1rci0l@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > John7,
    > Try this;
    > "For unknown reasons CD-writer is queried when obtaining Hdisk
    > properties."
    >
    > Set up hard drive as master on Ide #1
    > Set-up (atapi) CD drive as master on Ide#2
    >
    > The hard drive will work better alone on it's own Ide channel without
    > optical drives attached.
    > The set-up you have may be why the polling takes so long. Anyway, a
    > simple cable purchase may well solve this problem. I'd give you the
    > extra cable but it won't go through the internet. (grin)
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    John7,
    You won't have a problem using the DVDrom as master and the CDRW as
    slave on Ide #2. Since they are both atapi devices, and don't really
    have the thoughput demands that a hard drive has. That's the way I have
    'em set-up here with no problems. You may have to futz around with the
    drive assignments in Disk Management.
    Good Luck,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Treeman,

    I rearranged the hard drive and the 2 opticals.
    Now: HD on IDE1, DVDrom (master) & CDRW (slave) on IDE2.
    HDisk properties response remains slow (waits for CDRW timeout).
    Tried CDRW firmware flash in new config but drive is still not found.
    It's not my pc, so I gave up (takes to much time).

    Thx for your suggestions, anyway.
    John7

    "Treeman" <Treeman.1re9wl@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > John7,
    > You won't have a problem using the DVDrom as master and the CDRW as
    > slave on Ide #2. Since they are both atapi devices, and don't really
    > have the thoughput demands that a hard drive has. That's the way I have
    > 'em set-up here with no problems. You may have to futz around with the
    > drive assignments in Disk Management.
    > Good Luck,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --