USB 2.0 Stopped Working

Gene

I am running XP with SP1 and SP2. Yesterday, my high speed USB 2.0 stopped
running at high speed. When I attach a device it indicates that device would
run faster on high speed.

My ipod shuffle which has been working normally up until this point is now
only recognized as SMTP 3500 - personal class recovery device

I have tried updating the drivers and have had no luck.

General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Gene" wrote:

| I am running XP with SP1 and SP2. Yesterday, my high speed USB 2.0 stopped
| running at high speed. When I attach a device it indicates that device would
| run faster on high speed.
|
| My ipod shuffle which has been working normally up until this point is now
| only recognized as SMTP 3500 - personal class recovery device
|
| I have tried updating the drivers and have had no luck.

Gene

It is still not working. Please, please help. Even though I have USB 2.0.
My computer seems to forgotten that I have it. There is no indication in
device manager any more that I have 2.0.

Please help!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Gene" wrote:
>
> | I am running XP with SP1 and SP2. Yesterday, my high speed USB 2.0 stopped
> | running at high speed. When I attach a device it indicates that device would
> | run faster on high speed.
> |
> | My ipod shuffle which has been working normally up until this point is now
> | only recognized as SMTP 3500 - personal class recovery device
> |
> | I have tried updating the drivers and have had no luck.

Is this onboard USB2 or an addin card?
Does the USB adapter show in Device Manager?
Can you remove it and let XP redetect/reinstall it?
If an addin card, find the install CD and reinstall the driver.
If the IPod is the only thing acting this way, reinstall the software for
it??
--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It is still not working. Please, please help. Even though I have USB 2.0.
> My computer seems to forgotten that I have it. There is no indication in
> device manager any more that I have 2.0.
>
> Please help!
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Gene" wrote:
>>
>> | I am running XP with SP1 and SP2. Yesterday, my high speed USB 2.0
>> stopped
>> | running at high speed. When I attach a device it indicates that device
>> would
>> | run faster on high speed.
>> |
>> | My ipod shuffle which has been working normally up until this point is
>> now
>> | only recognized as SMTP 3500 - personal class recovery device
>> |
>> | I have tried updating the drivers and have had no luck.

Gene

It is an onboard usb2
The USB shows up in device manager but does not appear as a 2.0

"NotMe" wrote:

> Is this onboard USB2 or an addin card?
> Does the USB adapter show in Device Manager?
> Can you remove it and let XP redetect/reinstall it?
> If an addin card, find the install CD and reinstall the driver.
> If the IPod is the only thing acting this way, reinstall the software for
> it??
> --
> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It is still not working. Please, please help. Even though I have USB 2.0.
> > My computer seems to forgotten that I have it. There is no indication in
> > device manager any more that I have 2.0.
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >> Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

> >> stopped
> >> would

> >> now

Does it show up as "enhanced" USB adapter??? Any "enhanced" USB adapters
are supposed to be USB2.