haitang

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How to enable XP detect to see my 200gb HD? My PC is Emachine T2825, I buy a Hitachi 200GB as slave drive. Bios can see it, only XP can't, even SP1 was installed. I did downloaded from Hitachi support site a program to change the drive size, but no luck, Emachine site didn't support how to upgrate BIOS at all. What can I do next? If not possible, I'll return it and buy a 120GB instead.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have ATA-133 controller on mobo?.. with E-Machines I did not think so ;)

Buy a controller card, stick it in, hook it up, boot it up, check it out, enjoy..

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, WD makes UDMA100 200GB drives. Intel's latest chipsets still use ATA100. I think it's simply a matter of BIOS support for large drives from where you're comming from, and get this: He said his BIOS recognizes the full size.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

haitang

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why microsoft didn't fix this by download a exe file and change everything? Now I saw microsoft support page had a fix, but is so complicated, I'm scare to touch it by myself. Like couple years ago, all drives larger than 37gb is not supported, later came 98mx then problem solved. Now same thing happen again, look like need to wait for the next generation OS to fix this.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think I'll hold myself from education in the future, caz from the your example I can see that the more I know the more stupid I'll become.

If Intel makes latest chipset with ATA100 that means we can't use ATA133 drives? What are you talking about here? And why is that I got 180Gz WD drive and it was supplied with ATA133 card and instructions that I NEED the card, and XP+SP1, or w2k+SP4 in order to bypass ANY BIOSs and use the WHOLE thing (and card is needed to provide ability for 48bit transfer within IDE interface, which most yesturdays IDE controllers are missing, and THAT older controller is THE limit of the BIOS).

So, in his case with "older" BIOS (which in reallity is limited by the controller on mobo) he NEEDZ da thing.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, you're totally lost now. I never said you can't use ATA133 drives, I simply stated that ATA100 now supports large drives! As in, drives over 128GB. I've seen several VERY old boards (including i850E chipset boards) supporting 200GB drives with their ATA100 controller.

BTW, 8.4GB wasn't the limit of ATA33 either. I had an old Pentium 1 board using an 80GB drive on the native controller, using a simple BIOS update. That machine was a very reliable file server.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Another BTW, the guy said his controller recognises the drive at full size. I think he's still having OS issues.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL, I was just playing smart arse (how silly of me;) I have all but one ATA66/100 mobos and they all can read drives bigger than 137Gz, but in his case I can guerentie 99.964 persente that controller will fix XP's blindness.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's possible that his hard drive controller is reporting the right MODEL NUMBER but the wrong SIZE for his hard drive, he should probably check in BIOS to see what SIZE it detected...and you're right on one count: eMachines isn't very good with BIOS updates.

SpikeEngineer

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I'm having the same issue. I have a 160 GB HDD, it shows up in XP as 127 GB, but in PartitionMagic it shows as >150 GB. How can I enable full capacity in Windows? I'm pretty sure it's an OS problem.

(History... installed: SP1, flashBIOS update, chipset drivers.)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SP1 enables support for large drives/partitions above 128GB, unfortunately I've heard a few people telling me SP1 didn't fix their problem, and I don't know the software well enough to have a clue why it would work on some systems and not on others.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get a Seagate's Drive Super Pooper 2003 and it probably will help you partition the drive into smaller chunks so XP will see them. Otherwize me is no help, caz I am w2k guy from the birth ;)

haitang

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The emachine's bios can detact it as 200gb, only xp can't. Here is the link of how to enable xp to regonize larger drive: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013. But is so complicated. Can someone summary the step by step way and post it here. The easy way as blah said, buy a SIIG ATA133 controller card for $35, then I can use the rest of 70gb. But is it worth?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can find Super Pooper Disk Program <A HREF="http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html" target="_new">here</A>. It's FREE.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just in case you are still interested:

<A HREF="http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/" target="_new">This</A> program suppose to "help" operating system to operate with larger than 137G drives on your particular chipset (it's free.. for now;)

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Oh gees dude, just install the updated atapi.sys and change the registry, it's no big deal, takes like 2 mins.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
click on 'Start' Then 'Run' then type in "regedit"

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>

Zalkryn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
I have exact same problem. I have SP 1 installed, updated the atapi.sys, but when going to regedit I dont have the EnableLBA choice in regestry. Do I create it? And if so is it Dword or bunary or etc.? Thanks.

Pentium 4 2g
Asus P4T-E MB
512 PC800 Rambus
ATI 9700 Pro
Linksys 10/100 network card
SB Audigy 2