Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Laptops
  • Windows 7
  • CD-Rom
  • Internet
Last response: in Windows 7
August 26, 2012 8:54:14 AM

alright so my laptop used to run windows 7, but had to reinstall operative system and only had a xp cd lying around, so i installed that. Problem is now that i need drivers to get the internet and usb ports working, but have no way of getting the files on the computer

I tried to burn the files onto a cd, but when i insert it and open it, the cd shows as empty. Btw the cd was burned from another laptop with windows 7 if that is of any importance

I really need help as this is my school computer

Thank you

More about : reinstalled windows usb internet doesnt work

a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2012 9:10:15 AM

You should have done a factory restore, either by pressing the recovery key or burning the disks. Do you still have the recovery partition? It is ENTIRELY possible there are no drivers for windows XP and no way to make it work if the chipset is not working properly.

Download the correct version that is supposed to be installed on it here

Http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os...

And use your product key from the COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop.
August 26, 2012 9:52:44 AM

unksol said:
You should have done a factory restore, either by pressing the recovery key or burning the disks. Do you still have the recovery partition? It is ENTIRELY possible there are no drivers for windows XP and no way to make it work if the chipset is not working properly.

Download the correct version that is supposed to be installed on it here

Http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os...

And use your product key from the COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

problem is that i cant see the files ive burned onto a cd on the laptop, and no the harddisk died and could not retrieve the recoverty partition

i simply have no way to get files onto my laptop
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2012 9:56:02 AM

nytz said:
problem is that i cant see the files ive burned onto a dvd on the laptop, and no the harddisk died and could retrieve the recoverty partition

i simply have no way to get files onto my laptop

Ok, but you installed windows XP from a disk right? The bios can access it. So burn 7 to a disk, or use Microsoft's USB tool to create a bootable flash drive. Boot off that. Wipe the drive. Then install 7
August 26, 2012 9:56:30 AM

unksol said:
Ok, but you installed windows XP from a disk right? The bios can access it. So burn 7 to a disk, or use Microsoft's USB tool to create a bootable flash drive. Boot off that. Wipe the drive. Then install 7

alright ill try that, but can i just burn the windows 7 iso onto the cd, or is there a special way to make it bootable
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2012 10:38:06 AM

It should be bootable when you burn it. I believe windows 7 will even handle it, so you can just right click on the iso file once you download it and select burn to disk.
August 26, 2012 11:12:24 AM

unksol said:
It should be bootable when you burn it. I believe windows 7 will even handle it, so you can just right click on the iso file once you download it and select burn to disk.

alright thank you
!