Keep losing hard drive space

June 27, 2005 4:02:33 PM

I am using XP Home SP2. Everytime I power on I lose 1gb of hard drive space.
For example I have a 60gb harddrive on my laptop and am actually using about
20gb, however, if I power off and reboot and then go to Windows Explorer and
go to C drive and check properties it will list my C drive at 21gb in use.
If I reboot again and go to Windows Explorer and check C Drive and check
properties it will say 22gb in use. I am now at the point that it says I am
using 42gb of hard drice (C drive) even tho I am only using 20gb in
actuality.

I have run chkdsk and it says everything OK. Anyone have any ideas. I can
only think that some program I installed or some unexpected power
interuption has somehow screwed up my system. I run Norton and have no
virues, also run ad-aware, spybot and spyware blaster. Everything checks out
OK. Also run registry mechanic.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:02:34 PM

That sounds odd. I would run a different virus scan for starters, as I've
seen Norton AV and McAfee both say there was not a virus...when there
actually was.

Stop at PCTOOLS.com and try their free online virus scan. If it does not
find anything, then I would start looking at your settings for virtual
memory. (Control Panel, System Properties, Advanced, Performance) Of
course, it should never do what you are stating, but maybe if you change the
size of your virtual memory it will fix it. I really does sound like a
virus.... good luck!

!