Keep losing hard drive space

I am using XP Home SP2. Everytime I power on I lose 1gb of hard drive space.
For example I have a 60gb harddrive on my laptop and am actually using about
20gb, however, if I power off and reboot and then go to Windows Explorer and
go to C drive and check properties it will list my C drive at 21gb in use.
If I reboot again and go to Windows Explorer and check C Drive and check
properties it will say 22gb in use. I am now at the point that it says I am
using 42gb of hard drice (C drive) even tho I am only using 20gb in
actuality.

I have run chkdsk and it says everything OK. Anyone have any ideas. I can
only think that some program I installed or some unexpected power
interuption has somehow screwed up my system. I run Norton and have no
virues, also run ad-aware, spybot and spyware blaster. Everything checks out
OK. Also run registry mechanic.
1 answer Last reply
More about keep losing hard drive space

    That sounds odd. I would run a different virus scan for starters, as I've
    seen Norton AV and McAfee both say there was not a virus...when there
    actually was.

    Stop at PCTOOLS.com and try their free online virus scan. If it does not
    find anything, then I would start looking at your settings for virtual
    memory. (Control Panel, System Properties, Advanced, Performance) Of
    course, it should never do what you are stating, but maybe if you change the
    size of your virtual memory it will fix it. I really does sound like a
    virus.... good luck!

    "Bert Durand" wrote:

    > I am using XP Home SP2. Everytime I power on I lose 1gb of hard drive space.
    > For example I have a 60gb harddrive on my laptop and am actually using about
    > 20gb, however, if I power off and reboot and then go to Windows Explorer and
    > go to C drive and check properties it will list my C drive at 21gb in use.
    > If I reboot again and go to Windows Explorer and check C Drive and check
    > properties it will say 22gb in use. I am now at the point that it says I am
    > using 42gb of hard drice (C drive) even tho I am only using 20gb in
    > actuality.
    >
    > I have run chkdsk and it says everything OK. Anyone have any ideas. I can
    > only think that some program I installed or some unexpected power
    > interuption has somehow screwed up my system. I run Norton and have no
    > virues, also run ad-aware, spybot and spyware blaster. Everything checks out
    > OK. Also run registry mechanic.

Windows Explorer Hard Drives Windows XP