Setting file association in context menu/file types

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Running xp home sp2. I cannot get it to recognize the program Quick Par
for par2 files. When I right click a par2 & select "open with", it
defaults to the wrong program, and the correct one (Quick Par) is not
listed. When I try using the browse option from this point, it ignores
my selection of Quick Par's .exe. When I go to WE/tools/folder
options\file types, I get the same dialogues with the same result. When
I try to delete the par2 association from here, hoping to reset it the
file to the right priogram, the delete button is dimmed. If I open
Quick par & select the file in question, it performs normally, but I
want the much more convenient right click context menu option. How can
I associate these files with Quick Par, which the pc seems determined to
ignore?

TIA

Dan

Byte

Context Menu - Customizing Windows Explorer Context menu (right click menu in
windows explorer)

Ever wondered how does the right click menu (which is actually a context
menu) work? For example, when I right click in windows explorer, I see an
option which says "open command window here". This is seen because you have
following entries in the registry.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd]
@="Open Command Window Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd\command]
@="C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /k cd "%1""

If You have never used a tweaking utility and have newly installed Windows
XP, You would not see this option. You would have to navigate to
[[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive] go and create two subkeys ("cmd" and within that
"command" and would have to put the text "Open Command Window Here" without
quotes in default string value of "cmd" key and the text
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /k CD"%1"" without quotes in default string
value of command key). After this You need to REBOOT for these changes to
take effect.

--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"Dan" wrote:

> Running xp home sp2. I cannot get it to recognize the program Quick Par
> for par2 files. When I right click a par2 & select "open with", it
> defaults to the wrong program, and the correct one (Quick Par) is not
> listed. When I try using the browse option from this point, it ignores
> my selection of Quick Par's .exe. When I go to WE/tools/folder
> options\file types, I get the same dialogues with the same result. When
> I try to delete the par2 association from here, hoping to reset it the
> file to the right priogram, the delete button is dimmed. If I open
> Quick par & select the file in question, it performs normally, but I
> want the much more convenient right click context menu option. How can
> I associate these files with Quick Par, which the pc seems determined to
> ignore?
>
> TIA
>
> Dan

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:07:36 -0400, Dan
<ProgradeNOSPAMM49@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Running xp home sp2. I cannot get it to recognize the program Quick Par
>for par2 files. When I right click a par2 & select "open with", it
>defaults to the wrong program, and the correct one (Quick Par) is not
>listed.

Hi Dan,

You could try this: I presume you've copied QuickPar and associated
files into their own folder under C:\Program Files ... or wherever.
Go there, dbl-click QuickPar.exe, go to Options. Under Integration
you'll see a check box for [x] Associate with PAR2 files. Does that
fix it?

In general you'd have to R-click, select Open With -> New Program ->

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:07:36 -0400, Dan
<ProgradeNOSPAMM49@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Running xp home sp2. I cannot get it to recognize the program Quick Par
>for par2 files. When I right click a par2 & select "open with", it
>defaults to the wrong program, and the correct one (Quick Par) is not
>listed.

Hi Dan,

You could try this: I presume you've copied QuickPar and associated
files into their own folder under C:\Program Files ... or wherever.
Go there, dbl-click QuickPar.exe, go to Options. Under Integration
you'll see a check box for [x] Associate with PAR2 files. Does that
fix it?

In general you'd have to R-click, select Open With ->
Choose Program -> and [x] Always use the selected program.
It sounds like you've tried that already.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

_RR wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:07:36 -0400, Dan
> <ProgradeNOSPAMM49@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Running xp home sp2. I cannot get it to recognize the program Quick Par
>>for par2 files. When I right click a par2 & select "open with", it
>>defaults to the wrong program, and the correct one (Quick Par) is not
>>listed.
>

> Hi Dan,
>
> You could try this: I presume you've copied QuickPar and associated
> files into their own folder under C:\Program Files ... or wherever.
> Go there, dbl-click QuickPar.exe, go to Options. Under Integration
> you'll see a check box for [x] Associate with PAR2 files. Does that
> fix it?
>
> In general you'd have to R-click, select Open With ->
> Choose Program -> and [x] Always use the selected program.
> It sounds like you've tried that already.

Thanks for the replies, I'll give them a try. Right now I have it set
so r-clicking "send to" allows me to get the file to quickpar, works
about the same. Somebody here gave me that solution about 6 weeks ago,
but since I don't use the program all that much, I totally forgot about
it (duhhhh... ;-)

Dan

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Byte wrote:
> Context Menu - Customizing Windows Explorer Context menu (right click menu in
> windows explorer)
>
> Ever wondered how does the right click menu (which is actually a context
> menu) work? For example, when I right click in windows explorer, I see an
> option which says "open command window here". This is seen because you have
> following entries in the registry.
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd]
> @="Open Command Window Here"
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd\command]
> @="C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /k cd "%1""
>
> If You have never used a tweaking utility and have newly installed Windows
> XP, You would not see this option. You would have to navigate to
> [[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive] go and create two subkeys ("cmd" and within that
> "command" and would have to put the text "Open Command Window Here" without
> quotes in default string value of "cmd" key and the text
> "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /k CD"%1"" without quotes in default string
> value of command key). After this You need to REBOOT for these changes to
> take effect.

Byte-Thanks for the info!

Dan