Abysmal Network Performance

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
OK, I've posted in this group a few times now, so a lot of this will sound familiar...

I live in an apartment with 3 other guys. We get cable modem service from @Home, and we use the 4-port linksys router to share this connection.

Performance sucks. Our internet connection is fond of "dying" - that is, we will be using it, it will be working just fine, and then it will just hang while trying to retrieve a web address. At this point, the only way we've found to restore network functionality is to physical unplug the router, then plug it back in.

We've been playing with various router and TCP/IP settings for about a month now, to no avail. At this point, I'm 98% certain that the problem lies in the cable connection itself.

Is this posssible? Could a lousy cable line degrade performance in this manner?

Second question. I plan to call @home tech support on monday. I don't forsee it going well. I'm so frustrated that at this point I am nearly ready to cancel service and try DSL instead.

Is DSL affected by poor line quality? I don't know anything about DSL connections - I know that our current phone line (voice) is really awful and hissy. But I'm hoping that wouldn't matter for a DSL connection.

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Couple of things:

1) Have you tried eliminating the router to see if the degredation occurs without it?

2) Is there any sort of pattern to the degredation? e.g. does it occur at a certain time each day, does it occur after being online for so many minutes, etc?

Before I call @home I would definitely try #1, and call them with it set up that way. I can see them pulling the "unsupported" routine on you if you mention the router.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Well...

I have run without the router for about 4 hours, non-peak hours. Performance was still poor.

As for a pattern to the degradation, I'd say that it tends to choke whenever I attempt to retrieve data from the internet :wink:

I am somewhat apprehensive though, that @home tech will try to blame it on the router, when I am nearly certain it is not.

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Don't mention the router to them. Have it running without it when you call. But at this point I would call.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>