Upnp.dll continuously running

Noticed significant i/o reads (50 a second) by explorer.exe in Task
Manager. Used Filmon to see activity. Turns out upnp.dll is being
continually invoked.

The i/o sequence is 2 query, a close, an open, then 18 reads. This
sequence is repeated continuously.

My research so far hasn't yielded anything.

Could anyone tell me what this is or where to look for info. I've read
the MS bulletin I found, but it didn't explain this looping.

I am running sp2, 512 mb 1.2ghz laptop with active wireless conection.

ram

map

xramx wrote:
> Noticed significant i/o reads (50 a second) by explorer.exe in Task
> Manager. Used Filmon to see activity. Turns out upnp.dll is being
> continually invoked.
>
> The i/o sequence is 2 query, a close, an open, then 18 reads. This
> sequence is repeated continuously.
>
> My research so far hasn't yielded anything.
>
> Could anyone tell me what this is or where to look for info. I've
> read the MS bulletin I found, but it didn't explain this looping.
>
> I am running sp2, 512 mb 1.2ghz laptop with active wireless conection.
>
> ram

You can disable universal plug n play through admin tools>services(DO NOT
confuse this with plug and play,these are two different services),most home
users do not need this service running. I have this disabled on my system
with no ill effects.

--
Mike Pawlak

Thanks .. both of you. It seems to have stopped the I/O. Guess
something on the network must have been mistriggering the activity.

"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> xramx wrote:
>> Noticed significant i/o reads (50 a second) by explorer.exe in Task
>> Manager. Used Filmon to see activity. Turns out upnp.dll is being
>> continually invoked.
>>
>> The i/o sequence is 2 query, a close, an open, then 18 reads. This
>> sequence is repeated continuously.
>>
>> My research so far hasn't yielded anything.
>>
>> Could anyone tell me what this is or where to look for info. I've
>> read the MS bulletin I found, but it didn't explain this looping.
>>
>> I am running sp2, 512 mb 1.2ghz laptop with active wireless conection.
>>
>> ram
>
> You can disable universal plug n play through admin tools>services(DO NOT
> confuse this with plug and play,these are two different services),most
> home
> users do not need this service running. I have this disabled on my system
> with no ill effects.
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak

Hi