oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
To have 2x256MB Dual Channel DDR 400 Ram working properly, must they be "a matched pair" like those found in various kits by Kingston and others, or simply getting two separate sticks of 256MB DDR 400 by the SAME Manufacturer with the same CAS timings would do??

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
A match pair is an industry ploy to get you to buy memory for a higher price. Really a match pair of modules is just as easy to obtain by buying both modules at the same time. A "matched set" basically means the modules have all the same characteristics, I.E. speed, CAS latency, chip configuration, and megabytes. If you were to buy 2 256MB modules from us at the same time they would have all of these values and would work just fine in dual channel mode. Don't go run out and buy a "matched set" unless you have money to burn.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
In my experience buying matched pairs isnt much (if at all) more expensive than buying 2 sticks seperatly.

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>

Frintin

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004
While "mathed pairs" might be seen as a ploy, it is a way to ensure that the memory modules you have are the same speed, CAS, etc.

It is not really necessary to buy a "matched pair" as a set to use dual channel. You can buy 2 of the same size, same brand and be pretty sure that you will get 2 of the same type of memory modules to run dual channel. How far apart the memory modules are purchased might cause trouble as any newer part may have different specifications even though it is the same model number etc.

Frintin Rocks!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hopefully, a matched dual-channel pair is tested at the factory on a wide range of boards for dual-channel capability. Now let's take a look at the numbers on Kingston's HyperX label:
First Number - KHX3500/512R - The part# indicating HyperX PC3500 @ 512mb - Retail pack
Second Number - 9905193-025.A00 - Kingston's internal number indicating style - dates produced - and chips used
Third Number - 1286625 - 2.6v - Serial number and voltage

Now, I know I need a matched stick to run dual-channel right? Well yes and no! Take this stick of HyperX PC4000:
KHX4000/512R
9905193 - 042.A00
1406208 - 2.6v

Now, even though these are two different sticks of different speed memory, they will run in dual-channel configuration! How is this possible? Well, they are built in the same style out of the same chips on or about the same date and they run at the same voltages even though the timings are very different. I have run these together at 2.5,4,4,8 and HyperX PC4000 is not supposed to do that.
So, now you know what to look for when trying to match Kingston HyperX for dual-channel operation. I still recommend getting matched dual-channel pairs for anyone without the time and money to play around like myself. If they don't run right you can RMA them. If you're trying to match sticks up yourself and they don't like each other you'll have to RMA your brain! :lol:

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!