I wanna kick the [-peep-] out my PC!!

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Over the weekend when I tried to boot my computer, I got an error message telling me that a Windows file was either missing or corrupted. I tried to repair it using my Windows XP CD but I got another message saying that Windows was unable to repair or restore the file and that the disk may be damaged. Thinking that my hard drive crapped out on me, I installed a brand new hard drive and tried to do a fresh Windows (XP) install and at the end of the "setup" stage, I get a message saying that Windows was unable to continue, "setup" possibly due to a damaged disk and that I should double check all connections and refer to the manual. I thought it was my old hard drive, but now that I know its not, I'm clueless. Any ideas???

<font color=red>Urban Geek </font color=red>

I had a similar situation happen to me and it turned out to be RAM incompatability, if you are running more than 1 stick of RAM drop to 1 stick and see if the problem goes away, Memtest86 will not discover RAM incompatability, because the RAM does not produce errors in the DOS environment, it produces errors in the Windows environment, thats why dropping the RAM back to 1 module will solve the problem if its RAM incompatability, that may or may not be your problem, but solving your problem is a process of elimination, as etp777 previously said.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ram incom...what? The only RAM incompatability I've seen is trying to use RDRAM in an SDRAM board, DDR in an SDR board...too high a density for the chipset (not an issue on newer boards?), other than that I've seen a lot of RAM that should be compatable, but is just crap, being set at the edge of stability from the factory, using low grade chips, etc.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Well, I only have one 512MB stick of RAM and I would have thought I'd get an error message if there were compatibility problems. Doesn't hurt to check I suppose. I'm thinking it may be the CD itself. But I'll check the other components like the mobo and cpu to see if anything is defective. Thanks people.

<font color=red>Urban Geek </font color=red>

I strongly disagree with you there Crash, RAM manufacturers know it can be a problem thats why they sell the matched pairs of RAM for dual DDR motherboards, they've been pretested to make sure they'll run together error free.

There was a Bootdisk.com newsletter addressing the incompatability issue about 2 years ago, but just the fact RAM manufacturers are pretesting to make sure the problem doesn't arise with their product, discounts what you're saying whether you, are aware of it or not.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When RAM that's specified to work doesn't, I don't call it a compatability issue, I call it a quality issue. Lot's of crap on the market. I've never heard of a compatability issue with Crucial (except for the old chipsets not handling higher density RAM), and always chocked it up to the fact Crucial sets their timings more conservatively.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS