Sharing a Folder Across The Network

This use to work and now does not. It has me rattled. Here is the
configuration:
Network:
Computer 1: Windows 2000 (all updates)
Computer 2 & 3: Windows XP Professional (all updates)
Computer 2 & 3 are identical (different computer name of course).

I want computer 1 to see and access computer 2 & 3's desktop. Therefore;
the desktop on computer 2 & 3 are set to share. Other data folder are set
to share too.
Everything works with computer 2 just fine.
However, I can't get access to the desktop of computer 3. I can get access
to the data folder of computer 3 but something is stopping me from accessing
the desktop.

From computer 1, I can see the data folder of computer 3 and I can get to
all the files.
From computer 1, I can't get to the desktop folder.

I've tried to take the desktop share off, reboot, add the share back,
reboot..... same issue.
I've tried to turn the windows firewall off .... same issue.
What is causing this problem?

This use to work! It allows me to send files to the desktop of my daughters
computer, as I do to my son's computer.

Thanks in advance!
4 answers Last reply
More about sharing folder network

    In article <o2Wve.163$Iv6.151@trnddc03>, " JCO"
    <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >This use to work and now does not. It has me rattled. Here is the
    >configuration:
    >Network:
    >Computer 1: Windows 2000 (all updates)
    >Computer 2 & 3: Windows XP Professional (all updates)
    > Computer 2 & 3 are identical (different computer name of course).
    >
    >I want computer 1 to see and access computer 2 & 3's desktop. Therefore;
    >the desktop on computer 2 & 3 are set to share. Other data folder are set
    >to share too.
    >Everything works with computer 2 just fine.
    >However, I can't get access to the desktop of computer 3. I can get access
    >to the data folder of computer 3 but something is stopping me from accessing
    >the desktop.
    >
    >From computer 1, I can see the data folder of computer 3 and I can get to
    >all the files.
    >From computer 1, I can't get to the desktop folder.
    >
    >I've tried to take the desktop share off, reboot, add the share back,
    >reboot..... same issue.
    >I've tried to turn the windows firewall off .... same issue.
    >What is causing this problem?
    >
    >This use to work! It allows me to send files to the desktop of my daughters
    >computer, as I do to my son's computer.
    >
    >Thanks in advance!

    Please reply to this message in the news group (not by E-mail) with
    more information to help other people understand the problem.

    What do you mean by "computer 3's desktop"? What is the complete path
    of the folder that you shared on computer 3? What are the share
    permissions on that folder?

    What are you typing or clicking to try to access computer 3's desktop?
    What exactly happens when you do it? If there's an error message,
    what does it say?

    Is simple file sharing enabled or disabled on computer 3?
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    On computer 3, I have her Desktop Folder shared across the network but it
    can't be seen by my computer (W2K). I used the same technique used to share
    the desktop of computer 2 (Comp 2 & 3 are identical) therefore it should be
    shared okay.

    So the error message just says that I don't have permissions.. see
    administrator.
    Path to computer 1 is:\\Nicholas\Nick's Desktop
    Path to computer 2 is:\\Natalie\Natalie's Desktop

    It is the path to computer 2 that is not showing up from my computer (w2k).

    Hopefully I made this clearer than my first attempt
    Thanks

    In article <EB4we.1807$zp6.1005@trnddc08>, " JCO"
    <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>>This use to work and now does not. It has me rattled. Here is the
    >>>configuration:
    >>>Network:
    >>>Computer 1: Windows 2000 (all updates)
    >>>Computer 2 & 3: Windows XP Professional (all updates)
    >>> Computer 2 & 3 are identical (different computer name of course).
    >>>
    >>>I want computer 1 to see and access computer 2 & 3's desktop. Therefore;
    >>>the desktop on computer 2 & 3 are set to share. Other data folder are set
    >>>to share too.
    >>>Everything works with computer 2 just fine.
    >>>However, I can't get access to the desktop of computer 3. I can get access
    >>>to the data folder of computer 3 but something is stopping me from accessing
    >>>the desktop.
    >>>
    >>>From computer 1, I can see the data folder of computer 3 and I can get to
    >>>all the files.
    >>>From computer 1, I can't get to the desktop folder.
    >>>
    >>>I've tried to take the desktop share off, reboot, add the share back,
    >>>reboot..... same issue.
    >>>I've tried to turn the windows firewall off .... same issue.
    >>>What is causing this problem?
    >>>
    >>>This use to work! It allows me to send files to the desktop of my daughters
    >>>computer, as I do to my son's computer.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance!
    >>
    >>Please reply to this message in the news group (not by E-mail) with
    >>more information to help other people understand the problem.
    >>
    >>What do you mean by "computer 3's desktop"? What is the complete path
    >>of the folder that you shared on computer 3? What are the share
    >>permissions on that folder?
    >>
    >>What are you typing or clicking to try to access computer 3's desktop?
    >>What exactly happens when you do it? If there's an error message,
    >>what does it say?
    >>
    >>Is simple file sharing enabled or disabled on computer 3?
    >
    >On computer 3, I have her Desktop Folder shared across the network but it
    >can't be seen by my computer (W2K). I used the same technique used to share
    >the desktop of computer 2 (Comp 2 & 3 are identical) therefore it should be
    >shared okay.
    >
    >So the error message just says that I don't have permissions.. see
    >administrator.
    >Path to computer 1 is:\\Nicholas\Nick's Desktop
    >Path to computer 2 is:\\Natalie\Natalie's Desktop
    >
    >It is the path to computer 2 that is not showing up from my computer (w2k).
    >
    >Hopefully I made this clearer than my first attempt
    >Thanks

    I'm sorry, but I still don't have enough information to help. Please
    answer these questions:

    1. What is the complete path of the folder that you shared on computer
    3? I don't mean \\computer\share. I mean something like C:\Documents
    and Settings\<user name>\desktop

    2. What are the share permissions on that folder?

    3. What are you typing or clicking to try to access it from the other
    computer?

    4. What exactly happens when you do it? If there's an error message,
    what is its complete text?

    5. Is simple file sharing enabled or disabled on computer 3?
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    I will start over and see if I can answer you questions at the same time.

    I'm running w2k (computer name = JCO). My daughters computer is running
    WindowsXP-Pro (computer name = Natalie).

    I want to access the desktop of my daughter's computer from my w2k computer.
    I access it by clicking My Network Place and drilling down to her folder
    which I have already set to share. Her folder (Desktop) does not show up
    even though it is set to share. I see her computer name (Natalie) which I
    can click on and get an error (telling me that I don't have permission).
    Just so you know, she also has another folder on another drive that is set
    to share too. I can get to this other folder, via My Network Place, just
    fine. That is what is weird about the whole thing. I can access the other
    folders but not her actual Desktop (which is set to share the same way).

    My purpose for doing this is because I typically place a shortcut of her
    desktop on my computer so that I can instantly send things to her desktop. I
    do the same thing on my son's computer which works fine (he has the same
    type of computer as my daughter). There was a time when this all worked
    fine. I don't know when the problem began.

    So to answer some other questions:

    By looking at My Network Place, I can see her computer (Computer Name) but
    if I click on it, it will tell me that I don't have permission. I cannot
    see the Desktop Icon which is set to share (on her computer).

    By looking at "Computers Near Me", I can see the folder that is set to
    share, which I can access just fine.

    From Computers Near Me or My Network Place, I cannot see my daughters
    Desktop which is set to share.

    Type of share: I'm not sure what the difference is between Simple or
    Advance. I can see folders from her other drive so I assume I should be
    able to see her Desktop folder too. From her computer I did Properties |
    Sharing and checked both boxes which places a shared name in the dialog.

    If you can explain Simple vs. Advance, I can answer this better.

    Thanks if advance for your help

Desktops Computers Windows XP