How much difference does hdd/sata/raid 0 make?

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
For a system which will be used primarily for gaming is there much/any advantage to striping two drives in a raid array? I was leaning towards getting the seagate barracuda 7200.7 drive but now I am thinking of going for the 74 gb raptor. I liked the seagate reviews and tests, it seems quiet, cool and reliable and reasonably fast. I have really gotten used to a quiet computer since I purchased this antec power supply. I can't seem to find the newest 7200.7 version in sata though. Although it is my impression from reviews I have glanced over that the newer 200 gb model outperforms the sata 160 version anyway.

However I don't really need that much space. Although I originally was trying not to buy into the hype I am now leaning towards the raptor. Considering the overall cost of building a new system it is really not that much more than the seagate I was looking for. I saw the rebate at n-- -gg which was posted to expire at the end of May was extended till June 5th now.
I also noted that although some of the other benchmarks were much higher for the raid 0, the single drives seemed to have a better random access time (albiet very slim)than their raid 0 counterparts.
I have used raid 0 on a previously built system. At times and in certain situations I wondered if the raid actually caused minor glitches and slow downs though. I understand the basic principle but in a way it seems like there is more to go wrong by reading off two drives simultaneously and mixing the data. I have also seen someone recommend a particular software for "defragging raid properly". Perhaps something like that would allieviate my slight "mistrust" about the raid. Please note I am not really all that worried about losing data due to a drive failure (sure it would be a pain in the a** and all having to return a hd but I have no "mission critical" data on my hdd)
-Anyhoo, can someone "in the know" clue me in a bit? I saw that excellent article on raid arrays which I will have to look back over if I go with setting up another raid array. Bottom line is for what I am going to be mostly using the computer for is it worth it?
-raid 0?
-sata?
-People say two 74 raptors in raid 0 smoke, but bottom line would it really make a difference for what I am using it for?
-I think I am leaning towards one 74gb raptor before the $20 rebate expires. What do you guys think? Is the noise gonna bug the crap out of me now that I have gotten used to a quiet system? My system sits on the floor if that makes a difference.
-Should I just keep the extra $50 and go with the ide ultra ata 100 seagate barracuda 200 gb 7200.7 drive?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
An OS drive spends most of its time doing random reads around 20K in size. RAID0 does nothing to improve this, a 10,000 rpm raptor will, a 15K SCSI will beat 'em all. Some people like to have RAID0 because it sounds cool, or just for fun or because it will knock 1/10 second off the time at which the next game level loads. The WD740GD is a remarkably quiet drive so I don't think you'll have problems. I'd recommend you get one, and if later you think you want the kudos having 2 in RAID0 will give you, you can add another.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: