Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 7 internet troubleshooting

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Routers
  • Computers
  • Internet
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
August 26, 2012 4:42:13 PM

My computer will no longer connect to the internet. I've been reading a number of proposed solutions from various forums but nothing seems to help, yet. Please let me know what you think:

My main home computer runs Windows 7 and is connected by ethernet to the router, which gets its signal from cable. After rebooting recently, my connection to the internet no longer worked. The router seems fine. All the other computers in the house still have good wireless connectivity from the router. When I plug the ethernet cable from the router into another computer, that computer connects perfectly to the internet. I've released and renewed my IPs. All the windows diagnostics insist that there is a connection problem with the router even though I know the router works fine.

Until this problem recently occurred, my internet connection with this computer had been flawless.


I'm hoping that the problem really is some connectivity issue with the router that I inadvertently introduced, perhaps some configuration that's off. It's possible that I have a virus but none of my malware tools are indicating such a thing.

Please offer suggestions on additional troubleshooting steps I can take.

Thanks!

Charlie

More about : windows internet troubleshooting

August 26, 2012 4:57:35 PM

Does your ethernet connection on the computer have orange/green link lights? If not, try a new cable as the one you're using may have an intermittent break. If you get the link lights, and have no connection through Windows, there may be some other problem at work. If it's not equipped with link lights, then it makes things interesting.

If you have another device to try connecting to the router with, like a USB wireless adapter, that will help as well in finding if it's hardware/software. In the command prompt, what happens when you try to do a 'tracert www.google.com' ?
m
0
l
a c 204 $ Windows 7
August 26, 2012 6:40:06 PM

check in the control panel if your network card is active if you could get another card for ehternet even a old one for test with the router
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2012 6:46:43 PM

what kind of router?

have you tried disconnecting router from power for 15secs?
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 9:59:06 PM

tivatar said:
Does your ethernet connection on the computer have orange/green link lights? If not, try a new cable as the one you're using may have an intermittent break. If you get the link lights, and have no connection through Windows, there may be some other problem at work. If it's not equipped with link lights, then it makes things interesting.

If you have another device to try connecting to the router with, like a USB wireless adapter, that will help as well in finding if it's hardware/software. In the command prompt, what happens when you try to do a 'tracert www.google.com' ?



Thanks for the suggestions, tivatar.

I do have orange/green link lights. When I plug that same ethernet cable into a different computer, I can connect to the internet on that computer with no problem. So the cable is fine.

When I run the tracert command, I get:

Unable to resolve target system name.

This is starting to feel like some problem between the ethernet input and the netwaork card. Any other thoughts
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 10:10:50 PM

scout_03 said:
check in the control panel if your network card is active if you could get another card for ehternet even a old one for test with the router


scout_03:

Thanks for replying. My network card appears to be active in that my home network works fine. What exactly should I look for in the control panel to completely verify that? I don't have an extra card to test.

Thanks for following up....
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 10:12:21 PM

daswilhelm said:
what kind of router?

have you tried disconnecting router from power for 15secs?


Yes, several times. That often fixes such problems, I know, but something else is still wrong. Both the computer and the router have been re-booted several times.

Other thoughts?
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 10:57:01 PM

Oh, and my router is:

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

On the router itself:

Ultraline Series 3 Model 9100 EM
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 11:30:31 PM

Several people I know have had the same problem. It was caused by myfunweb, software which downloads automatically from some sites. Try safe mode with networking by rebooting and quickly press f8 after bios. If the network works in safe mode download malwarebytes and run it first in safe mode, then restart and run it first thing in regular mode. It's really nasty. Good luck.
m
0
l
August 27, 2012 2:45:20 AM

zdbc13 said:
Several people I know have had the same problem. It was caused by myfunweb, software which downloads automatically from some sites. Try safe mode with networking by rebooting and quickly press f8 after bios. If the network works in safe mode download malwarebytes and run it first in safe mode, then restart and run it first thing in regular mode. It's really nasty. Good luck.


Whoa! That looks like it's going to work, zdbc13. I am able to make my internet connection when in safe mode with networking. I'm doing some additional diagnostics before I download malwarebytes, as you suggest, but these is extremely encouraging.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted about how it turns out.
m
0
l
August 29, 2012 4:24:19 AM

Problem solved! (I think.)

It turns out that a McAfee update had blocked some firewall setting and coincidentally, McAfee itself had emailed me with a fix, even though I had not reached out to them.

Here's a link to the email they sent me:

http://strongmail.mcafee.com/track?t=v&eas=1&mid=1070400&msgid=147502&did=59901&edid=59901&sn=16883929&eid=charliemullin@gmail.com&eeid=charliemullin@gmail.com&uid=1_145954&rid=145954&erid=145954&fl=0&mvid=0&tgid=&extra=&&&2001&eu=100&&&

Hope this might be helpful to others.

Thanks everyone!
m
0
l
a c 204 $ Windows 7
August 30, 2012 1:21:41 AM

thank's to put back info on forum that could help someone esle,happy computing
m
0
l
!