Windows 7 internet troubleshooting

cmullin

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
My computer will no longer connect to the internet. I've been reading a number of proposed solutions from various forums but nothing seems to help, yet. Please let me know what you think:

My main home computer runs Windows 7 and is connected by ethernet to the router, which gets its signal from cable. After rebooting recently, my connection to the internet no longer worked. The router seems fine. All the other computers in the house still have good wireless connectivity from the router. When I plug the ethernet cable from the router into another computer, that computer connects perfectly to the internet. I've released and renewed my IPs. All the windows diagnostics insist that there is a connection problem with the router even though I know the router works fine.

Until this problem recently occurred, my internet connection with this computer had been flawless.

I'm hoping that the problem really is some connectivity issue with the router that I inadvertently introduced, perhaps some configuration that's off. It's possible that I have a virus but none of my malware tools are indicating such a thing.

Please offer suggestions on additional troubleshooting steps I can take.

Thanks!

Charlie

tivatar

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Does your ethernet connection on the computer have orange/green link lights? If not, try a new cable as the one you're using may have an intermittent break. If you get the link lights, and have no connection through Windows, there may be some other problem at work. If it's not equipped with link lights, then it makes things interesting.

If you have another device to try connecting to the router with, like a USB wireless adapter, that will help as well in finding if it's hardware/software. In the command prompt, what happens when you try to do a 'tracert www.google.com' ?

cmullin

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions, tivatar.

I do have orange/green link lights. When I plug that same ethernet cable into a different computer, I can connect to the internet on that computer with no problem. So the cable is fine.

When I run the tracert command, I get:

Unable to resolve target system name.

This is starting to feel like some problem between the ethernet input and the netwaork card. Any other thoughts

cmullin

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

scout_03:

Thanks for replying. My network card appears to be active in that my home network works fine. What exactly should I look for in the control panel to completely verify that? I don't have an extra card to test.

Thanks for following up....

cmullin

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Yes, several times. That often fixes such problems, I know, but something else is still wrong. Both the computer and the router have been re-booted several times.

Other thoughts?

zdbc13

Distinguished
Several people I know have had the same problem. It was caused by myfunweb, software which downloads automatically from some sites. Try safe mode with networking by rebooting and quickly press f8 after bios. If the network works in safe mode download malwarebytes and run it first in safe mode, then restart and run it first thing in regular mode. It's really nasty. Good luck.

cmullin

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Whoa! That looks like it's going to work, zdbc13. I am able to make my internet connection when in safe mode with networking. I'm doing some additional diagnostics before I download malwarebytes, as you suggest, but these is extremely encouraging.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted about how it turns out.

cmullin

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Problem solved! (I think.)

It turns out that a McAfee update had blocked some firewall setting and coincidentally, McAfee itself had emailed me with a fix, even though I had not reached out to them.

Here's a link to the email they sent me:

http://strongmail.mcafee.com/track?t=v&eas=1&mid=1070400&msgid=147502&did=59901&edid=59901&sn=16883929&eid=charliemullin@gmail.com&eeid=charliemullin@gmail.com&uid=1_145954&rid=145954&erid=145954&fl=0&mvid=0&tgid=&extra=&&&2001&eu=100&&&

Hope this might be helpful to others.

Thanks everyone!

TRENDING THREADS