Newbie with time concerns wants to get started

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Well, I've been looking around the WWW and lurking in this group for a bit
and I am interested in playing Empire. The Wolfpack site recommends
playing a blitz to get the hang of the game, but I don't have the luxury
of sitting at the computer for, say, 12 hours.

It seems that a long-term game suits me better, but I'm still wondering
about the time it would take. How long would I need to play each day, and
what would happen if I missed an update? Also, I wouldn't want to bother
experienced players with stupid questions, so I'd probably need to join a
newbie game (if there are any of those-- I don't know if there are any
"new" Empire players at all).

--
Joe Walker
"Your life makes children cry!" (Sam, from "Sam & Fuzzy" by Sam Logan)

jay

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

>From one newbie to another ... Jump into a blitz and start getting you
ass kicked. I recommend declaring war on Kizn, he will love you for it.

Pretty much, the bulk of a blitz takes about 3-6 hours.

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 09:14:51 -0700, Jay wrote:

>>From one newbie to another ... Jump into a blitz and start getting you
> ass kicked. I recommend declaring war on Kizn, he will love you for it.
>
> Pretty much, the bulk of a blitz takes about 3-6 hours.

I expect to get my arse kicked the first... well, pretty much forever, but
I'll be sure to try a blitz soon.

--

"Jay" <jaykoni@yahoo.com> writes:

>>From one newbie to another ... Jump into a blitz and start getting you
> ass kicked. I recommend declaring war on Kizn, he will love you for it.
>
> Pretty much, the bulk of a blitz takes about 3-6 hours.

Break, play for a few turns to set up start island, do something else
for a few hours (sleep?), come back, admire the mess. If somebody
sacked you, that's that. Else have fun.

You could try to announce that you'll be back later. Sensible players
respect that, as fighting you when you're back will be much more fun.

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

There are new players, but of course we could use more fresh blood.

Time per day depends on many factors: game setup, ambition,
experience, ambition, diplomatic situation, ambition, tactical
situation, ambition, ... It could be anything from an hour to pretty
much every waking minute. Although few of us go to that extreme very
often ;->

Seriously, this game *is* a time sink. It's also a lot of fun. Give
it a try. Play a bit of blitz to get the feel for it, then get
utterly wasted in a real game.

A newbie game would be nice, but there hasn't been one in a while.

Don't be afraid to ask `stupid' questions. Asking your neighbor while
he's contemplating whom to attack next could have unwanted side
effects, though. Asking here is safer.

Dummy

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:25:42 +0200, Markus Armbruster
<armbru@pond.sub.org> wrote:

>Don't be afraid to ask `stupid' questions. Asking your neighbor while
>he's contemplating whom to attack next could have unwanted side
>effects, though. Asking here is safer.

Actually, I've seen many times when players have admitted to being a
beginner and a veteran neighbor has let them be or even mentored them.
The real key is whether they have another direction they can go.
You're in more danger if you are sitting next to someone good, keep
absolutely silent, and make your inexperioence known on the power
report. Then they have no reason not to annex you.

Ken
aka
1/2 of Escher
coaching scholastic chess is my current time sink

"dummy@nowhere.net" <dummy@nowhere.net> writes:

> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:25:42 +0200, Markus Armbruster
> <armbru@pond.sub.org> wrote:
>
>>Don't be afraid to ask `stupid' questions. Asking your neighbor while
>>he's contemplating whom to attack next could have unwanted side
>>effects, though. Asking here is safer.
>
> Actually, I've seen many times when players have admitted to being a
> beginner and a veteran neighbor has let them be or even mentored them.
> The real key is whether they have another direction they can go.
> You're in more danger if you are sitting next to someone good, keep
> absolutely silent, and make your inexperioence known on the power
> report. Then they have no reason not to annex you.

I received *plenty* of instruction from more experienced players.
Some free & friendly, and some I paid for with sectors and such %-)