Sign in with
Your question

Can someone make a LCD recomendation?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 12, 2006 2:34:34 PM

Hello everybody,

I have been reviewing a lot of monitors from various manufacturers. I am very confused and have no real life data to make a conclusion as to which monitor to choose. I down to pro series from Viewsonic or Samsung. I would like something in 20" to 21" range, might be wide screen. It will be used mainly for www apps, but I also do some video editing and graphics. Yet I want to be able to play some high end games without regret of compromise.

Are there any monitors anybody can recommend based on real life experiences?

Thanks,

gluchy.

More about : make lcd recomendation

September 12, 2006 4:12:44 PM

Quote:
Hello everybody,

I have been reviewing a lot of monitors from various manufacturers. I am very confused and have no real life data to make a conclusion as to which monitor to choose. I down to pro series from Viewsonic or Samsung. I would like something in 20" to 21" range, might be wide screen. It will be used mainly for www apps, but I also do some video editing and graphics. Yet I want to be able to play some high end games without regret of compromise.

Are there any monitors anybody can recommend based on real life experiences?

Thanks,

gluchy.

1. Widescreen might require you get a new video card, depending on how new your rig.

2. Price range?
September 12, 2006 4:37:00 PM

Hose, This will be a brand new computer. I am planning to get high end ATI or NVDIA card.
As far as the price, I will pay whatever it is necessary for a good product, but I am not willing to spend 50% on monitor. So for example high end 23" Viewsonics or 24" Samsungs are out of the question.

gluchy.
Related resources
September 12, 2006 4:49:38 PM

Quote:
:... I am not willing to spend 50% on monitor...."
gluchy.

That's a more difficult parameter to hold to these days. Quality monitors still cost and computers are getting really cheap. If you don't get into the quality spectrum, all the others are very much the same... TN screens, reduced color fidelity, reduced viewing angles, yada, yada, yada.

If you are a fan of the Brite Screen, I like the NEC 20WMGX2 and 90GX2.

Otherwise, suggest you go to Newegg.com and check out the customer reviews. Just search LCD Monitor, or by brand... like Samsung LCD Monitor.
September 20, 2006 4:03:03 AM

LG204WT...20"...wide screen...5ms...HDCP...silver...$350!!!
a b C Monitor
September 26, 2006 11:40:38 PM

Note: I'm not really familiar with all the details on LCDs....

Well, I have yet to be able to to really check out two models that I saw in the store that piqued my interest. However, maybe you would want to take a look....
They are:
Samsung 204b
and Sony sdm-hs95p/s

You could go to your local computer store (Best Buy, Office Depot, Circuit City, etc...) and take a look at the Samsung 204b. Since some places have a free return policy, you can return it if it's no good. It's a 20" monitor (16.7 million colors -- better for graphics; w/overdrive -- good for gaming/response time).

I also found the colors on the shiny Sony monitors (like the Sony sdm-hs95p/s) to be quite nice -- much better than the regular LCD screens. Unfortunatly, this monitor uses a 16.2 million color panel (much fewer colors).
[/quote]

It would be nice if they had a monitor that combined all the specs of the Samsung monitor (16.7 colors and overdrive) with the shiny screen of the Sony.
September 26, 2006 11:53:18 PM

Yes it's a good idea to go to the stores and check them out but it wont be the same as taking one or to home but...and this is very important...Check The Stores Return Policy!!! Best Buy is ZERO...but CircuitCity now charges a 15% Restocking Fee!!! Thats $75 for a $500 Monitor... 8O
!