Deliver vs. Distribute

jay

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

I'm a little confused here. During an update deliver happens first and
uses the primary sectors mobility to move goods to an adjcent sector
(at 25% of normal mob).

Distribute happens second (at 10% of normal mob) and I quote from the
info page:

"Mobility is used from the sector when sending "to" the distribution
sector. When getting something "from" the distribution sector, mobility
is paid by the distribution sector."

So, where is the savings? A mine that is next to an lcm plant will
always use its own mobility to move the iron. If I move it by hand, it
costs, say 20 mob, if deliver does it it costs the sector 5 mob and if
distribute does it, it costs the sector 2.

Is the actual savings in not having the warehouse spend the 2 (or more)
mob in getting the commidity to the lcm plant?

"Jay" <jaykoni@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm a little confused here. During an update deliver happens first and
> uses the primary sectors mobility to move goods to an adjcent sector
> (at 25% of normal mob).
>
> Distribute happens second (at 10% of normal mob) and I quote from the
> info page:
>
> "Mobility is used from the sector when sending "to" the distribution
> sector. When getting something "from" the distribution sector, mobility
> is paid by the distribution sector."
>
> So, where is the savings? A mine that is next to an lcm plant will
> always use its own mobility to move the iron. If I move it by hand, it
> costs, say 20 mob, if deliver does it it costs the sector 5 mob and if
> distribute does it, it costs the sector 2.
>
> Is the actual savings in not having the warehouse spend the 2 (or more)
> mob in getting the commidity to the lcm plant?

They both have benefits and weaknesses and they can be
used simultaneously. Distribution is much easier to setup
and manage. Delivery is the optimum solution when the
source and destination are adjacent. Sector resources do
not always allow adjacent placement as an option.

Tom
(Ski)

jay

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Yes, but is the actual savings in that by using deliver we spend less
mobility in the warehouse sending the commodity to the lcm plant by
spending more mobility in the iron mine?

Thats the only way it makes any sense ... and the more I think about it
is the only answer.

jay

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

>Keep in mind that if the mine is more than 2 sectors from the
distribution 'warehouse',

Two sectors? I thought deliver only worked for one sector ... unless
you're chaining them left-to-right and moving stuff in multiple jumps.

>NOTE: Delivery will only use half of available mob -
distribution will take all but 1.

I suspected something like this based on behavior, but it never really
got important enough to ask about.

Thank you.

> Yes, but is the actual savings in that by using deliver we spend less
> mobility in the warehouse sending the commodity to the lcm plant by
> spending more mobility in the iron mine?
>
> Thats the only way it makes any sense ... and the more I think about it
> is the only answer.

Correct - delivery does not take any mob from the warehouse.
It only used mob from the iron mine in this example.

Keep in mind that if the mine is more than 2 sectors from the
distribution 'warehouse', delivery actually takes less mobility
from the iron mine than distribution (assuming sectors between
are 100% industrial sectors, not roads and road infrastructure
is at 0%).

NOTE: Delivery will only use half of available mob -
distribution will take all but 1.

Tom
(Ski)

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

CONSIDER THEY BITMAP:

Command: bmap #0
-------0000000000
76543210123456789
-2 + + + + + + + . -2
-1 . + u + a r e + . -1
0 . + w r a n e d 0
1 . e m p i r e . 1
2 . . + k i n g + 2
3 . + + + + + + . . 3
-------0000000000
76543210123456789

SENDING IRONS TO K OF 2,0 WITH DELIVERYS USES MOB OF X. SENDING IRONS
TO W OF 0,2 WITH DISTRIBUTES ALSO USE MOB OF X, BUT TENH SENDING IRONS
BACK TO K ON PATH NN. SO FOR FIRST CASE IRONS FOLOW PATH B, FOR 2RD
CASE IRONS FOLLOW PATH OF YNN. COST OF MOB=3X.

THE EMPIRE KING

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

OPPS, LINE SHOULD BE:
"CASE IRONS FOLOW PATH N" NOT "B"

ALSO, K IS @ 0,2 AND W IS @ -2,0

SRY, EK

> >Keep in mind that if the mine is more than 2 sectors from the
> distribution 'warehouse',
>
> Two sectors? I thought deliver only worked for one sector ... unless
> you're chaining them left-to-right and moving stuff in multiple jumps.

You misunderstood. Delivery only moves items one sector in any
of the six directions. Distribution moves items along longer paths
along the route of least mobility. Your question was regarding the
mobility used from the mine. Lets take the following simple
example. You have a strip of sectors with the following designations:

w p j m

I will assume this is a 60-etu game, the mine has min=100, it contains
999 civs and no mil or uws. The sectors do not contain any highway
infrastructure improvements and all sectors are 100% efficient. Each
update, the mine will produce 599 iron. The mob-cost of each sector
is 0.2. Iron has a weight of 1. If you want to move this iron manually
with the 'move' command from the mine into the lcm factory, the
mob-cost will be 119.8. (You can prove this to yourself with the
'test' command for any commodity and path.) Delivery uses 1/4
mob, or 29.95, and will move all of the iron assuming the mob in
the sector was over 60 at the time delivery occurs. Alternately,
the iron could be moved by distribution. Distribution divides mob-
cost by 10. The path mob-cost from the mine to the warehouse
will be 0.6 but it will be divided by 10 for distribution. Therefore,
the mine will be changed 35.94 mob. Then the warehouse will
be charged 599*0.4/100=2.396 because it gets a packing bonus
divisor of 10 in addition to the divisor by 10 for distribution.

All of this can be found in info Mobility. All numbers are
rounded to whole units of mob during actual processing. Beware:
no distribution center can contain more than 9999 of any
commodity at any intermediate time during the update processing.
This is often overlooked until it happens with major impact -
normally while distributing civs or iron over a highway network.

As stated previously, distribution is easier to manage but it
is not a solution to every situation. Using delivery or distribution
in the example above results in a viable solution with slightly
different results. Players need to learn which technique to apply
to each situation for optimum performance. Normally, a
distribution center only serves 30-50 sector land masses.
However, I have used a mixture of distribution and deliver to
manage a 300-sector 'fairland' country with a single warehouse
and a good road network. (I do not recommend this as the
ideal solution for a robust country during time of attack.)
A more fluid technique is use of banks as distribution centers
for the dust producing sectors, enlistment centers for pushing
mils to the front line and then harbors and warehouses for
all other economic activity. This limits the impact of heavy
dust (weight = 5) and mils on the homeland distribution
network. The details for why this works well is an assignment
for the student...

Tom
(Ski)