Transfer of c drive to another drive

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
I currently have my c drive running from my ide drive but i now want to move all the docs from that to a new partition (which is already set up) on my raid 0 array but i dont really want to have to do a clean install cause the last one i did was relatively recently and i have the system set up just right.

Is there anyway to simply transfer all the c drive over to my new raid partition. Norton Ghost wont work because of the raid array.

I also have my progs and docs on a different partition from c and i was wondering whether there will be any ramifications of such a transfer on file references etc.

Someone please unwire me...the gadgets are taking over!

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
What do you want to move? My Documents or the entire OS? You can transfer My Documents by right clicking it and typing the new path. You can transfer the OS with Norton Ghost, the RAID is invisible to software. There is no reason to install programs to a different drive other than C:. You can place documents anywhere you like.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Apologise i probably wasnt clear on what i am trying to achieve.

Basically i want to move my OS so that i can boot from a primary partition on my raid array rather than booting from a partition on my ide harddisk. Unfortunately Norton Ghost wont run at all on my system as it simply crashed when opened (i have been told in previous posts that this is because of my raid array).

The easiest way to change my OS to my raid array would be to change my bios settings, install a fresh copy of xp onto my raid partition. However, i now have my system set up perfectly and dont want to start from scratch.

Any help would be appreciatted:

My drive set up is as follows:

C: ide drive - partition 10gb - current os
d: raid drive - partion 10gb - where i want my os to be
e: raid drive - partition 20gb - program files
f: raid drive - partition 10gb - my docs
g: raid drive - partition 80gb - media (music, vid etc)
h: raid drive - partition 60gb - video editing storage
i: ide drive - partition 110gb - shared drive (kazaa, bittorrent etc)
l: raid drive - partition 50gb - scratch disk for video
m: raid drive - partition 2.5gb - pagefile
p: sata drive - 250gb - backup

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Hmm, I'm not sure what version of Norton Ghost you have, current ones allow to you create a DOS diskette with the necessary drivers for accessing whatever hardware you need. There are other imagining programs, PowerQuest Drive Image is one, search around and see what you find.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Does anyone know a quick and easy way to transfer the OS of a computer from an ide drive to a raid drive? There must be a way to do it wuthout starting from scratch.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Not sure if this will work but you can try it and see.
There is a program called HDCopy.exe that should transfer the OS...that's the easy part. Where you will probably run into problems is trying to boot from it because all the addresses are for a C: drive. Windows doesn't allow you to change the drive letter of the disk with the OS. To get around this here is what you can try; Transfer the files to the disk of your choice, once it is completed shut down your computer. Disconnect all other drives so that the only one connected is the one with the copied OS. Reboot and see if windows automatically assigns the letter C to your array...if it does you are on your way.

....WW (5.0)

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dude, even IF you will find the way to "transfer" Windows XP to a different drive/raid/memory chip/whatever medium you would like to use, Windows XP will NEVER boot anyway on different medium than the originally installed,.. hope that will save you some time and afforts.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...