Migrate one program from Win95 to WinXP

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

I need to migrate one program from a Windows 95 machine to a Windows XP machine.
The original installation disks have been lost and the program seems to not be
available anywhere.
I know how to move the program folders over but not sure how to handle the
registry entries or files that might be in system folders with cryptic names.
The program is Key Form Designer version 4.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Dan;
I doubt it is possible with the huge differences in Windows 95 and Windows
XP.
There are programs that will move from Windows XP to Windows XP.
Try Google.

You will probably need the disks.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

In news:eKs4vf0eFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
DanR <dan@my-olddeja.com> typed:

> I need to migrate one program from a Windows 95 machine to a
> Windows
> XP machine. The original installation disks have been lost and
> the
> program seems to not be available anywhere.
> I know how to move the program folders over but not sure how to
> handle the registry entries or files that might be in system
> folders
> with cryptic names. The program is Key Form Designer version 4.

With very rare exceptions, you can't do this. You can migrate
data, but not programs (except for the occasional trivial one).
Besides the programs themselves, there are *many* entries in the
registry and probably supporting files elsewhere. If you were
going from one Windows XP installation to another, finding and
moving everything would be such a big task that it would be
highly unlikely to be successful. Migrating from an older
operating system makes the chances of success even slimmer.

You need to reinstall from the original media. If you don't have
the installation disks and can't buy them, I would look for an
alternative program.

Please reply to the newsgroup

http://www.rrcd.com/products/sohobundle.html

--
Peace!
Kurt

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Thanks for the link. Even though this page is still up they no longer have the
product. They emailed me that info. I have searched for hours and hours looking
for this product. Would pay $100 for it. (need version 4)

DanR wrote:
> Thanks for the link. Even though this page is still up they no longer
> have the product. They emailed me that info. I have searched for
> hours and hours looking for this product. Would pay $100 for it.
> (need version 4)

Try eBay.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

norm

>DanR wrote:
>> Thanks for the link. Even though this page is still up they no longer
>> have the product. They emailed me that info. I have searched for
>> hours and hours looking for this product. Would pay $100 for it.
>> (need version 4)

Would an unistaller which saves the unistalled software work by
transfering the saved archive to XP, together with the uninstaller?
Just a thought.

eBay

some support

norm wrote:
>> DanR wrote:
>>> Thanks for the link. Even though this page is still up they no
>>> longer have the product. They emailed me that info. I have searched
>>> for hours and hours looking for this product. Would pay $100 for it.
>>> (need version 4)
>>>

> Would an unistaller which saves the unistalled software work by
> transfering the saved archive to XP, together with the uninstaller?
> Just a thought.

Iffy, such uninstaller programs don't always find all of the program,
unless they were monitoring the original install. Would be much better
to try to find a install copy if possible.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Well I tried eBay. I was not a member. I forget the eBay terms but if you want
to post that you are 'looking" for an item you have to be a member. So I joined.
I filled out the "looking for" form but then eBay said I would have to have
either 5 points OR a credit card registered with them. So I filled out the
credit card form. But then it said I had to fill out forms to be a "seller". So
I did that. Then they wanted my credit card info again. So I did that. Then they
wanted me to give them my checking account data. So I did a live chat and was
walked through the whole process again thinking that the chat guy knew something
I didn't. But same thing. They want your credit card numbers AND your checking
account numbers if all you want to do is post an item that you want to buy. Way
too scary.
So I quit. At least I think I quit. I hope I quit.

Jim Macklin wrote:
> eBay
>

> "norm" <donotreply@here.com> wrote in message

>> snip

Dan;
Anyone can search without registering, no information at all is needed just
to look:
http://www.ebay.com/
Simply enter what you are looking for in the "What are you looking for" box.
Try variations if you do not find what you are searching for.
You may have to look for a while if the item is nopt available now.
If not available today, it may be available at a later date.

Also keep trying Google:
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

--

> Well I tried eBay. I was not a member. I forget the eBay terms but if you
> want
> to post that you are 'looking" for an item you have to be a member. So I
> joined.
> I filled out the "looking for" form but then eBay said I would have to
> have
> either 5 points OR a credit card registered with them. So I filled out the
> credit card form. But then it said I had to fill out forms to be a
> "seller". So
> I did that. Then they wanted my credit card info again. So I did that.
> Then they
> wanted me to give them my checking account data. So I did a live chat and
> was
> walked through the whole process again thinking that the chat guy knew
> something
> I didn't. But same thing. They want your credit card numbers AND your
> checking
> account numbers if all you want to do is post an item that you want to
> buy. Way
> too scary.
> So I quit. At least I think I quit. I hope I quit.
>
> Jim Macklin wrote:
>> eBay
>>

>> "norm" <donotreply@here.com> wrote in message

>>> snip

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Yes I will keep checking in but there is a way to actually post on some page
that you are seeking a certain item. That's what I tried to do. I have over many
months goggled for this software and do get eBay hits but they are old and item
long gone. Google archives have the page but it's dead.
I will attempt to do this "migrate" manually as I don't think I have any other
choice. I know the usual places to look. Folders are obvious and there are
system.ini and win.ini and maybe some dll s that hopefully have a name that
rings a bell. Will search registry for program name.
I'm doing this for a friend who has a small business. All his sales records for
more than 5 years are embedded in this program. To make matters worse the Win95
machine has only a floppy drive and the new XP machine he already ordered has no
floppy. My laptop has no floppy. I may install a floppy drive in the XP machine
and use a "split" program for files bigger than 1.5MB. All his backups are in
Win95 backup format and I don't think that is compatible with XP. I thought
about putting in a wireless PCI card I have laying around in the Win95 machine
and an older Linksys wireless router to network the 95 computer to my laptop and
then burn CDs to move to the XP machine but don't know about Win95 networking. I
have a feeling that his Win95 machine is in out of box state as far as upgrades
are concerned. It has never seen the Internet.
If you have any ideas on a better way to MOVE the data I'm open to suggestions.

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Dan;
> Anyone can search without registering, no information at all is needed just
> to look:
> http://www.ebay.com/
> Simply enter what you are looking for in the "What are you looking for" box.
> Try variations if you do not find what you are searching for.
> You may have to look for a while if the item is nopt available now.
> If not available today, it may be available at a later date.
>
> Also keep trying Google:
> http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
>

> "DanR" <dan@my-olddeja.com> wrote in message
>> Well I tried eBay. I was not a member. I forget the eBay terms but if you
>> want
>> to post that you are 'looking" for an item you have to be a member. So I
>> joined.
>> I filled out the "looking for" form but then eBay said I would have to
>> have
>> either 5 points OR a credit card registered with them. So I filled out the
>> credit card form. But then it said I had to fill out forms to be a
>> "seller". So
>> I did that. Then they wanted my credit card info again. So I did that.
>> Then they
>> wanted me to give them my checking account data. So I did a live chat and
>> was
>> walked through the whole process again thinking that the chat guy knew
>> something
>> I didn't. But same thing. They want your credit card numbers AND your
>> checking
>> account numbers if all you want to do is post an item that you want to
>> buy. Way
>> too scary.
>> So I quit. At least I think I quit. I hope I quit.
>>
>> Jim Macklin wrote:
>>> eBay
>>>

>>> "norm" <donotreply@here.com> wrote in message

Dan;
It sounds like a good time to update the program.
Possibly then there will be an easy way to migrate the data.
I doubt anything less than the disks will move the program in a usable
form...but you can try.
Unfortunately I have no other suggestions for moving the data.

--

DanR wrote:

> Yes I will keep checking in but there is a way to actually post on some
> page that you are seeking a certain item. That's what I tried to do. I
> have over many months goggled for this software and do get eBay hits but
> they are old and item long gone. Google archives have the page but it's
> dead. I will attempt to do this "migrate" manually as I don't think I have
> any other choice. I know the usual places to look. Folders are obvious and
> there are system.ini and win.ini and maybe some dll s that hopefully have
> a name that rings a bell. Will search registry for program name.
> I'm doing this for a friend who has a small business. All his sales
> records for more than 5 years are embedded in this program. To make
> matters worse the Win95 machine has only a floppy drive and the new XP
> machine he already ordered has no floppy. My laptop has no floppy. I may
> install a floppy drive in the XP machine and use a "split" program for
> files bigger than 1.5MB. All his backups are in Win95 backup format and I
> don't think that is compatible with XP. I thought about putting in a
> wireless PCI card I have laying around in the Win95 machine and an older
> Linksys wireless router to network the 95 computer to my laptop and then
> burn CDs to move to the XP machine but don't know about Win95 networking.
> I have a feeling that his Win95 machine is in out of box state as far as
> upgrades are concerned. It has never seen the Internet. If you have any
> ideas on a better way to MOVE the data I'm open to suggestions.

Just remove the harddrive from the 95 'puter and put it in the XP computer
as a slave drive. Should then be able to access all the data files.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Yes, good idea. Overall... that would likely be the fastest way to get
everything moved over. Much better than my idea of installing an NIC in the old
computer. Hopefully the "slave / master" jumper points are labeled.
Thanks!

DanR wrote:

> Yes, good idea. Overall... that would likely be the fastest way to get
> everything moved over. Much better than my idea of installing an NIC in
> the old computer. Hopefully the "slave / master" jumper points are
> labeled. Thanks!
>
> NoStop wrote:
>> DanR wrote:
>>
>>> Yes I will keep checking in but there is a way to actually post on some
>>> page that you are seeking a certain item. That's what I tried to do. I
>>> have over many months goggled for this software and do get eBay hits but
>>> they are old and item long gone. Google archives have the page but it's
>>> dead. I will attempt to do this "migrate" manually as I don't think I
>>> have any other choice. I know the usual places to look. Folders are
>>> obvious and there are system.ini and win.ini and maybe some dll s that
>>> hopefully have a name that rings a bell. Will search registry for
>>> program name. I'm doing this for a friend who has a small business. All
>>> his sales records for more than 5 years are embedded in this program. To
>>> make matters worse the Win95 machine has only a floppy drive and the new
>>> XP machine he already ordered has no floppy. My laptop has no floppy. I
>>> may install a floppy drive in the XP machine and use a "split" program
>>> for files bigger than 1.5MB. All his backups are in Win95 backup format
>>> and I don't think that is compatible with XP. I thought about putting in
>>> a wireless PCI card I have laying around in the Win95 machine and an
>>> older Linksys wireless router to network the 95 computer to my laptop
>>> and then burn CDs to move to the XP machine but don't know about Win95
>>> networking. I have a feeling that his Win95 machine is in out of box
>>> state as far as upgrades are concerned. It has never seen the Internet.
>>> If you have any ideas on a better way to MOVE the data I'm open to
>>> suggestions.
>>>
>> Just remove the harddrive from the 95 'puter and put it in the XP
>> computer as a slave drive. Should then be able to access all the data
>> files.

I have yet to come across a hard drive that doesn't have a label outlining
the settings. Some are harder to understand than others. :)

Re: Key Form Designer ... it's possible that the settings stored in the
registry in Win95 for this program is just some basic stuff. Maybe you can
try searching the Win95 registry for that info and then copy the
program/related files over to the XP machine and then duplicate the
settings in the appropriate parts of the XP registry? Heck, that program
may just use a basic INI file to store it's configuration info, in which
case just copying that file over to XP might get it working. Just guessing
that you might be lucky and get the program running on XP without having to
actually run an install.

Good luck!

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Found the program at Amazon and have it in hand.

DanR wrote:
> Found the program at Amazon and have it in hand.

Great! Good luck with it.