Finker

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Hi.

I am adding more ram to an old pc.

I went out and bought AZENRAM 128MB 168-Pin PC133 SDRAM (model AAP0131) and installed it in the EPoX EP 51 MVP3E - M motherboard.
Upon boot up the system only detects half of the 128.

I heard something about double density ram, is this the problem I am running into? Mobo won't support it?

There is an bios update on Epox's website. Do you think this may allow the mobo to detect the full 128meg?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I looked around a bit, I think that's 8-chip RAM, it should work if it is, so I don't know what's causing the problem.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Finker

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Hey Crashman.

Thanks for you help.
Turns out it was 4 chip. Apparently Azen makes 4 and 8 chip ram under the same model number...
Picked up a different brand of 16 chip and that works perfect.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah yes. Actually, that 4-chip RAM is incompatable with nearly every board that uses SDRAM. But it's cheap, so they sell it. And when you complain, the typical response of sellers is "your system isn't PC133 compatable". I've gotten to the point where I just about want to knock their teeth down their throat when they say that.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, what sucks more is that they use this as an excuse to do one of the following:
1.) Sell you "PC100" at an exhorbitant price because it's "no longer produced", but what they're actually selling you is lower density PC133 that's been relabled.
2.) Convince you to buy a new board or system from the person that just lied to you.

But here's the real kicker: They don't always know what the problem is, therefor they can mislead you while not commiting an outright lie.

TRENDING THREADS