Why beep for new email should be the windows default sound.

When new mail arrives in my inbox I get a beep rather then the default new
mail notification sound. Windows default is set as the sound scheme in the
control panel and when i play the sound from the sound scheme it is the
proper new mail sound. WindowsXP Pro and Outlook 2002 and NIS 2005.

What is causing the beep for new mail?
4 answers Last reply
More about beep email windows default sound

    After choosing the sound you want in the control panel, sounds and audio
    devices, do you hit the Apply button before you OK it ?

    "beanman" <beanman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When new mail arrives in my inbox I get a beep rather then the default new
    > mail notification sound. Windows default is set as the sound scheme in the
    > control panel and when i play the sound from the sound scheme it is the
    > proper new mail sound. WindowsXP Pro and Outlook 2002 and NIS 2005.
    >
    > What is causing the beep for new mail?

    This is irrelevant. If you OK, then it automatically applied.

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:29:24 -0600, "Squire" <jerrym526@cablenet.com>
    wrote:

    >After choosing the sound you want in the control panel, sounds and audio
    >devices, do you hit the Apply button before you OK it ?
    >
    >"beanman" <beanman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> When new mail arrives in my inbox I get a beep rather then the default new
    >> mail notification sound. Windows default is set as the sound scheme in the
    >> control panel and when i play the sound from the sound scheme it is the
    >> proper new mail sound. WindowsXP Pro and Outlook 2002 and NIS 2005.
    >>
    >> What is causing the beep for new mail?

    Have you by any chance installed Desktop Weather recently? This app seems
    to have a bug where it knocks out many Windows sounds with an errant
    registry setting. First, uninstall it, then fix your registry:

    Click on the start button. Select Run, then type in: regedit

    Once registry editor has opened up left click on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    key. In the right hand area you will find a binary string value that
    should say:
    Name: (default)
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: (value not set)

    If you see anything other than (value not set) there, delete the (default)
    entry. It will be recreated as (value not set), and your sounds should be
    back (may need to restart to get them all back).

    "=?Utf-8?B?YmVhbm1hbg==?=" <beanman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > When new mail arrives in my inbox I get a beep rather then the default
    > new mail notification sound. Windows default is set as the sound
    > scheme in the control panel and when i play the sound from the sound
    > scheme it is the proper new mail sound. WindowsXP Pro and Outlook 2002
    > and NIS 2005.
    >
    > What is causing the beep for new mail?

    Yup, that was it exactly. Had installed Desktop Weather and the registry key
    had a value in it. Deleted key and restart and good to go!

    "weezimp" wrote:

    > Have you by any chance installed Desktop Weather recently? This app seems
    > to have a bug where it knocks out many Windows sounds with an errant
    > registry setting. First, uninstall it, then fix your registry:
    >
    > Click on the start button. Select Run, then type in: regedit
    >
    > Once registry editor has opened up left click on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    > key. In the right hand area you will find a binary string value that
    > should say:
    > Name: (default)
    > Type: REG_SZ
    > Data: (value not set)
    >
    > If you see anything other than (value not set) there, delete the (default)
    > entry. It will be recreated as (value not set), and your sounds should be
    > back (may need to restart to get them all back).
    >

    > "=?Utf-8?B?YmVhbm1hbg==?=" <beanman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >
    > > When new mail arrives in my inbox I get a beep rather then the default
    > > new mail notification sound. Windows default is set as the sound
    > > scheme in the control panel and when i play the sound from the sound
    > > scheme it is the proper new mail sound. WindowsXP Pro and Outlook 2002
    > > and NIS 2005.
    > >
    > > What is causing the beep for new mail?

Default Email Microsoft Windows XP