Sign in with
Your question

Recover old Data after Format??

Last response: in Storage
June 7, 2004 2:26:34 PM

Hi

I'm not sure if this can be done, but if someone can point me in the right direction it would be great.

Can data be recovered from a hard drive after it has been over written with another OS.

Here's the deal. A friend of mine has 1 hard drive with 2 partitions. The first partition has the OS (Win XP) the second partition has the data. On the weekend I reinstalled the OS on his First Partition and all was well... After I left, he had some probablem and thought he'd redo it... and he installed the OS on to the 2nd partition giving him 2 OS's.

Is there software out there can can recover data from the 2nd partiton after it has had an OS installed on it??

Please let me know if this is possible...

Thanks

Want to make some extra income reading emails? goto www.maldacai.150m.com and get a Free 7 Day Course

More about : recover data format

Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 9, 2009 10:33:59 AM

having wo hard disk
one is windows 98 and another one is windows xp
os installed in c drive and files are stored c d f drive
it has been sold and now they foramtted but i kept some files which to be recovered
what is the procedure
March 10, 2009 2:32:02 AM

I hesitate to tell this story, but every 6 months I "clean" out my arrays, both the files and physically removing all the individual drives and vacuuming. Well long story short, I managed to forget to backup all the wifes pictures of our 3 kids from birth to present. About 10 years worth of pictures. To make matters worse, before I realized it, I already had broken the array, pulled all the drives out, reassembled in a different order, rebuilt the array in a RAID 10 ( it was a RAID 5 ), formatted, and reloaded with files.........Twice ( I was benchmarking ).

It took me 2 days worth of trying software ( afraid the wife would knife me in the back while I slept, so I worked straight through ). I managed to recover all the lost files using both of these programs...

http://www.diskinternals.com
http://www.partition-recovery.com/

It is a very slow process, but there is a good chance it will work.

The Moral of the Story ?
RAID does not guard against stupidity and ALWAYS have a Backup :) 
March 10, 2009 12:51:16 PM

loads of toosl will do this now days, personally if I were doing it would x-ways forensic, or Encase....but then again I guess that depends if they are avaliable to you! pretty expensive for the individual to buy for personal use I guess!
!