custom default user profile - xp sp2

June 27, 2005 6:14:01 PM

I work for a company that supports almost 1000 computers and we are
experimenting with a sp2 image. the problem is that now we cannot create a
custom default user profile. Is there someting we need to change on the
firewall to allow this?

Thanks
Curious user
June 27, 2005 11:06:02 PM

curious user wrote:

> I work for a company that supports almost 1000 computers and we are
> experimenting with a sp2 image. the problem is that now we cannot
> create a
> custom default user profile. Is there someting we need to change on
> the firewall to allow this?
>
> Thanks
> Curious user

Have you looked at this link?

How To Create a Custom Default User Profile -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

I guess I need to clarify the problem, it's not that I don't know how to make
a custom profile, I've done it dozens of times as we've made various images
to be pushed out with ghost. The problem is that when you do the same
procedure on a machine that has xp sp2 as the os the machine freezes when you
click on ok to accept the warning about overwriting the default profile. I
hope this clarifies what I'm looking for.

Curious user

"Malke" wrote:

> curious user wrote:
>
> > I work for a company that supports almost 1000 computers and we are
> > experimenting with a sp2 image. the problem is that now we cannot
> > create a
> > custom default user profile. Is there someting we need to change on
> > the firewall to allow this?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Curious user
>
> Have you looked at this link?
>
> How To Create a Custom Default User Profile -
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

June 28, 2005 12:43:27 PM

curious user wrote:

> I guess I need to clarify the problem, it's not that I don't know how
> to make a custom profile, I've done it dozens of times as we've made
> various images
> to be pushed out with ghost. The problem is that when you do the same
> procedure on a machine that has xp sp2 as the os the machine freezes
> when you
> click on ok to accept the warning about overwriting the default
> profile. I hope this clarifies what I'm looking for.
>
> Curious user
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> curious user wrote:
>>
>> > I work for a company that supports almost 1000 computers and we are
>> > experimenting with a sp2 image. the problem is that now we cannot
>> > create a
>> > custom default user profile. Is there someting we need to change
>> > on the firewall to allow this?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Curious user
>>
>> Have you looked at this link?
>>
>> How To Create a Custom Default User Profile -
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974

That does clarify the issue, beautifully. Unfortunately, I don't have an
answer for you. Perhaps someone more familiar with deployment on such a
large scale will pop in. However, since you have such a big
organization, IMO the most efficient way to solve this problem would be
to call MS tech support (not the bottom tier, obviously). Your company
undoubtedly has a support contract with them since you must be using
servers. My experience with the higher level of MS tech support (called
regarding a server issue) was excellent.

Good luck,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers